Any bigger ladies out there who do yoga?

Options
I'm 5'1", 170 pounds, size 10/12. I want to do yoga but I have bad balance due to an old injury and I'm distinctly un-flexible. Plus a lot of times when they want you to bend or lean a certain way, my stomach gets in the way.

I guess I mainly just want some assurance that other people have done it and that it can be beneficial even at my size.

What do you think?

Replies

• NicoleWong1988
    NicoleWong1988 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I do yoga all the time,and I`m 209 lbs. I`ve found that Hatha works the best for me. It`s slow, but you still work up a sweat.
  • hcn74
    hcn74 Posts: 214
    Options
    I do yoga weekly in a class and occasionally do a video at home. You'll be fine.

We do vinyasa, which I think just means it's movement connected to the breath.

I did yoga 50 pounds ago, too, so I promise you'll be fine. Most teachers are really great about wanting you to make it your workout, and not do anything that is too much for you. Our teacher tells us that we have to check our ego at the door and listen to our bodies.
  • beach_bum_gurl
    Options
    You can do it! One of the main tenets of yoga is to listen to your body and not to go beyond your limits. I will say, however, that as you practice, your limits will change~ for the good! :)
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I do yoga when I can and it really helps me feel strong and flexible. Do what you can. Most yoga instructors will suggest modifications. Don't let your size stand in your way. (I was much bigger than you when I started.:flowerforyou: )
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I was doing yoga at 375 lbs... I just had to adapt a couple of exercises to get around my stomach sometimes. I stopped because it didn't help my joints - I have a couple that will dislocate randomly. Now I do pilates, which is a bit more strength and a little less stretching, but suits my body better.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I do yoga and I'm currently at 260 lbs. It's helpful in balance and the correct form for other exercises in my opinion. It teaches you how your body should feel in a lunge and how your legs/feet should be lined up. I think it's helpful to keep you from hyperextending and injuring yourself in other workouts :)
  • pmich08
    pmich08 Posts: 193
    Options
    I'm same height as you, just eleven pounds lighter and I do yoga all the time.
    Keep with it and both balance and flexibility will increase, and don't worry about your belly, it won't hinder your movement forever!
    Good luck!
  • sweettoothfairy
    sweettoothfairy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    At 237 my starting weight, i did power yoga and it made me very flexible. Initially you find it difficult to bend or lean but slowly you become a lot flexible.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Yoga will make a non-flexible person flexible. Every pose has a modification and you're just supposed to do it the best you can without pressure.

I will not lie. It got easier for me to do a lot of the twisting poses as I lost weight. But you can still do it and get benefits from it at ANY size.

I just recommend a class instead of a DVD.
  • ImCeltic
    ImCeltic Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yes, yoga is all about you and your journey toward flexibility and balance and strength. I am much more overweight than you, and even with recognizing my tummy is reducing my movement I can still do yoga and get a great workout. I do it for the stress reduction, strengthening (slow movement and holding poses a while) and for balance. It is wonderful but you need to find the DVDs, freebies from satellite tv or your iphone, and good instructors in your area, plus the type of yoga that you really enjoy. There is a wide variety of yoga, with lots of classes combining pilates and yoga that are really good, too. I hope you find a style and some yoga trainers that fit your needs!
  • ImCeltic
    Options
    Yes, yoga is all about you and your journey toward flexibility and balance and strength. I am much more overweight than you, and even with recognizing my tummy is reducing my movement I can still do yoga and get a great workout. I do it for the stress reduction, strengthening (slow movement and holding poses a while) and for balance. It is wonderful but you need to find the DVDs, freebies from satellite tv or your iphone, and good instructors in your area, plus the type of yoga that you really enjoy. There is a wide variety of yoga, with lots of classes combining pilates and yoga that are really good, too. I hope you find a style and some yoga trainers that fit your needs!
  • ImCeltic
    Options
    :happy:
  • caroltina
    caroltina Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I do yoga once a week and I am currently 229lb, but was 302lb when I started. I started at the start of my weightloss journey and after loosing 5 stone I think it is yoga that has kept me from having loose skin, I have never had a problem and the people there a real mixed bag of lovely but varied people.
  • defygravity531
    defygravity531 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! :-D
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i do! i just ask for modifications, or do the best i can :D
  • caroltina
    caroltina Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    off to yoga and thought of you!!!!