running whilst pregnant

Options
so i am just about 5weeks pregnant, and i tend to do alot of running...mostly treadmill running but also some road running...i have no illnesses or previous problems in pregnancy so i'm wondering would it be safe?

a friend of mine, who is a nurse, informed me that keeping your HR below 120 is essential as a higher HR takes oxygen from the baby...now i've been looking online and can't see anything that backs that up...most things read that it's fine to run when pg

may i have some opinions/experiences please??

i intend to ask my dr when i get my pregnancy confirmed btw, but i won't be seeing him for a week or two yet so just wanted to get opinions in the interim

thanks

Replies

• jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I am also 5 weeks along and wonder the same thing! I've heard that you can run right up until you give birth, but I would like to know how intense I should go! Congratulations by the way :)
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    It's my understanding that it's safe to do any exercise that you were already doing before prego. Just don't start anything new. At a certain point, you just want to make sure your heart rate isn't above a certain percentage, but I can't remember what that is.
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Good luck and congrats to you guys on your babies!!!
  • aneumany
    aneumany Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    my aunt was a huge runner for years before she got pregnant, the dr told her as long as she has been doing it beforehand that she was ok to run, that it would be fine...she ran till she was like 8 months pregnant or so.. and she just ran normally. assuming doing as much as she could.. carrying the extra pounds ....
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    120 heart rate? that means you cannot do much. My doc said under 150. But it's all depends on your fitness level. Using heart rate is not really a good measurement. Here is a good article for you to read:

"Properly measure your exercise intensity", from BabyFit.com:

"The Talk Test

Monitoring your exercise intensity is important for your health and safety. The RPE (Rate of Perceived Exertion)--that all-too-familiar scale of one to 10--gets a lot of attention during pregnancy, but another method, known as the Talk Test can also help you find a comfortable, safe workout level.

Using this method, the goal is to work at a level where you can answer a question, but not comfortably carry on a conversation. In simple terms, you would be working out too hard if you have to take a breath between every word you say. Conversely, you would be exercising too easily if you could sing several phrases of a song without breathing hard.

Work at an intensity that allows you to breathe comfortably and rhythmically throughout all phases of your workout. This will ensure a safe and comfortable level of exercise. If you are breathless, or can't talk, you're working too hard! Lower the resistance level and slow down. If you experience dizziness or lightheadedness, you may be overexerting yourself and should stop.

The Talk Test has been confirmed as a simple and accurate method of gauging intensity that doesn't require any equipment or learning. Try your own Talk Test during your next workout (and compare it to your normal RPE assessment. "
  • kysue1029
    kysue1029 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I was told that it's ok to do it if I had been doing it before pregnancy. Just don't start anything new!

CONGRATS on the BABY! *Jealous*
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    RUN!!! If you have the energy and it causes no pain then run. The first doctor I went to was all *****y about me running a marathon at 5 weeks (who the heck knew I was pregnant? not me...), advised against running my half at 9 weeks. I stopped running because I was so EXHAUSTED all of the time, but my new doc says all OK so long as I don't overdo. And the BS about heart rate is silly because early on in pregnancy your heart rate will be elevated, then it comes down, and towards the end you['d be killing yourself if you tried to reach 120.

Now that I have my energy back (FINALLY, at 18 weeks) I am back to full hours at the gym doing bootcamp and whatever else I feel like. And the baby is healthy and strong from all indications.

Trust in thousands of years of women having babies...they worked, they ran, they laughed, they cried, they just LIVED and so far the human race is doing OK.
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You should definitely consult your doctor. My doctor told me to continue my activity unless my body tells me otherwise. Please don't make the mistake of stopping all physical activity because it will make your labor worse and you will have a more difficult time shedding the weight after your baby is born. There is a 7 months pregnant woman in my kickboxing class and she does just fine! Good luck!
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!

MzMiller...i stopped working out when i got pregnant with my daughter, then had my son straight after and gained over 50lbs so i know not to stop exercising...i don't think i could willingly give it up!
  • sweetsapphire85
    Options
    It's my understanding that it's safe to do any exercise that you were already doing before prego. Just don't start anything new. At a certain point, you just want to make sure your heart rate isn't above a certain percentage, but I can't remember what that is.

I've heard this as well. My friend rock climbed (indoor and outdoor) until she was 6 months pregnant and couldn't manage it because of her belly. But I've heard that anything you were doing prior you can still maintain during pregnancy as your body is accustomed to it.
  • dawnxoxo1
    Options
    I love to run and am planning to have a baby as well. My doc said as long as you are doing those exercises before hand then you are able to continue. You know your own body and know when to slow down/stop. Keep hydrated and kick your feet up to recirculate the blood when done running or you wil get those awful foot cramps...grrrr. My doc did say to really slow down and pretty much stop ab exercises :(
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options

I've heard this as well. My friend rock climbed (indoor and outdoor) until she was 6 months pregnant and couldn't manage it because of her belly. But I've heard that anything you were doing prior you can still maintain during pregnancy as your body is accustomed to it.

Call me the dude that shows up to a maternity party....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

My wife ran to term with our 2 children, and they turned out great (dad's another question...haha). She's been running many years and the pace slowed down and eventually some walking too, but.....WOW, what can ya say! This made post maternity recovery much easier too. She never pushed anything hard, and she was careful to listen and slow down when needed.

As a Dad, and pacer for all those miles (I rarely let her run without me there), that was amazing to see and major inspiration. How could I ever say I was too tired, or what-not... exactly... get my bum moving!!!

Hope it helps! If not... Dad will exit left and let the ladies cover it!!!

Ray
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    i am about 9 weeks along and my doctor told me that i am good to go with running or any other activity that i have been consistently doing prior to becoming prego :) that said, i have slowed my running down a bit in pace and # of times per week that i run...i was running 5-6 days per week for 3+ miles, but since i found out that i was pregnant, i have traded a couple of days of running for walks and kept my milage lower...congratulations :)
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    congrats to all the expectant mothers! And thanks for posting this, I am currently trying to get pregnant and this helps me a lot. I have been getting so much conflicting information! The primary one seemed to be if you did it before you were TTC then keep going, if not then don't start (unless you were previously a slug) So I guess the sprints and inclines may be not so great of an idea, but I'll keep up with jogging.
  • njfitnessgirl
    Options
    I jogged throughout my entire pregnancy with my son and it helped so much. It kept me from gaining too much, I felt great and it helped with getting the weight off postpartum. I just made sure to talk to my dr first about it and I just listened to my body. I also found some great pregnancy workout videos that helped out a lot. Good luck and congratulations!!!
  • ldykema
    ldykema Posts: 18
    Options
    Congrats to all of you who are pregnant!

I ran until the last month of my first pregnancy and ran very little during my second, and my second ended up being much more difficult and painful.

I'm currently pregnant with our third (ran a marathon after conception, but before we knew we were pregnant) and plan on running two half marathons (at 18 weeks and 22 weeks) and a 15k at 25 weeks. All provided that my body doesn't tell me otherwise :) My doctor was completely supportive of me running as long as I can, and even then, to continue walking as much as possible.

Hope that helps!
  • kobzal
    kobzal Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I run with a group called Moms in Motion. The fastest girl on the team got pregnant with her second a few years ago and I could not run faster than her until she was well into her 8th month. =P So if you were running before, running while pregnant should be no problem. Congrats!
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I jogged throughout my entire pregnancy with my son and it helped so much. It kept me from gaining too much, I felt great and it helped with getting the weight off postpartum. I just made sure to talk to my dr first about it and I just listened to my body. I also found some great pregnancy workout videos that helped out a lot. Good luck and congratulations!!!

what pregnancy workout videos did you like? i am looking to get a couple to alternate for when the weather gets colder/messier and running outdoors isn't so much an option :)
  • stephfilako
    stephfilako Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I would certainly say to watch your heart rate during exercise. I had been running on the treadmill and noticed my HR was skyrocketing to 180 and that was not with going fast or overdoing it. It would be silly to say that your heart rate doesnt matter, it does! My docs have previously said 120 was the range they wanted to stay below. Im may want to stay fit during this but I wont compromise the health of my baby for any pant size. Be smart, listen to your body. And even if its a struggle, stay with the advise of your doc-- they have you and baby in mind.
  • rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    My mother jogged up until she was eight or so months pregnant with me - until she couldn't take the bouncing, she said! At that point, she just walked. I was born a couple of weeks before her due date, but weighed almost six pounds, and was perfectly healthy as an infant. She thinks that the running helped her both in labor (she didn't have any medications) and afterward - she was walking around, taking a shower, and nursing me just an hour or two after giving birth. I'd say keep it up until it feels uncomfortable, and don't overexert yourself to the point of not being able to recover quickly. Congratulations, and good luck!