Strength & cardio?

Options
I’ve been working at getting healthier for a little over a year with a lot of back tracking..
I’m really working at not falling off the wagon again and I have about 15-20 to my goal range. I have been eating about 1500 calories a day and typically stay under 60g (net) of carbs a day. I do about 45-60 min of cardio daily and strength training 4x a week for the last 2.5 weeks but have not seen the scale budge. I will be comparing my measurements this week but I’m bummed out that I haven’t seen a loss and I’m not really noticing my clothing fitting differently. Any recommendations would be helpful. Thank you

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    ^ That. Additionally, what you're most likely experiencing is water/glycogen retention from the new exercise program, which is masking any weight loss on the scale. Stick to it and trust the process, the scale will start moving again eventually.
  • BNY721
    BNY721 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason why you are doing so low-carb? Preference or? Just curious. Also, are you weighing your food?

But as stated above weight loss isn’t linear..
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Give it more time. I wouldn't consider making any changes until at least 4 weeks. The scale isn't going to move every week and as you get closer to goal, it may not move but every 2 -3 weeks. Fluctuations can be easily masked by your monthly cycle. In the mean time, double check your logging.
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    eguerrette wrote: »
    I’ve been working at getting healthier for a little over a year with a lot of back tracking..
    I’m really working at not falling off the wagon again and I have about 15-20 to my goal range. I have been eating about 1500 calories a day and typically stay under 60g (net) of carbs a day. I do about 45-60 min of cardio daily and strength training 4x a week for the last 2.5 weeks but have not seen the scale budge. I will be comparing my measurements this week but I’m bummed out that I haven’t seen a loss and I’m not really noticing my clothing fitting differently. Any recommendations would be helpful. Thank you

Patience. If it doesn't come off and to lose those last few pounds you would have to diet very hard or work out more than you already are, reevaluate your goals. BMI isn't the best indication of health
  • eguerrette
    eguerrette Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. That is what I suspected and my overall goal of feeling stronger is more important than the number on the scale if I can be rational... but I’m getting married in October and I’ll be damned if logic just hasn’t just gone out the window
  • kami3006
    Options
    Thank you all. That is what I suspected and my overall goal of feeling stronger is more important than the number on the scale if I can be rational... but I’m getting married in October and I’ll be damned if logic just hasn’t just gone out the window

Sometimes our brains just don't want to let us be. Well done on your progress thus far.

Congrats on your upcoming marriage. I had a tiny wedding outside in October, years ago, and the cool temperature was wonderful.

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    While muscle is more dense and therefore weighs more by volume, it's highly unlikely that the OP is gaining any appreciable muscle in deficit, let alone enough to offset her losses.

Exactly. Under optimum conditions, calorie surplus and ideal program, a woman can gain about 1/4 of muscle per week. In a deficit, not even that. Weight loss can happen at a much faster rate.

OP, as suggested above, likely water retention. You just started a new program and that will cause water retention masking fat loss. Patience and the whoosh will happen.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It's only been 2 weeks, so it could be tied to your monthly cycle. Most women see a certain pattern of fluctuations during the month. Good job on the fitness program!
  • eguerrette
    Options
    Still at the very same weight. Definitely bummed out... hard to not be discouraged. I know I have to keep going but i was hoping to be down a few pounds in a month.
    Any advice?!
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    2baninja wrote: »
    You also have to remember, with you doing weights, muscle weighs more then fat, so you may be loosing fat, but gaining muscle, so taking measurements and how your clothes fit are the real key.
    Keep your thoughts positive, and keep moving forward, it will all work it's self out.

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat, 1kg of muscle and 1kg of fat weigh the same amount. It's just that muscle is more compact, so you look slimmer.

And she wouldn't be rapidly gaining muscle eating in a deficit.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Still at the very same weight. Definitely bummed out... hard to not be discouraged. I know I have to keep going but i was hoping to be down a few pounds in a month.
    Any advice?!

I find the first month, nothing happens at all. Then suddenly it starts to move.

Just keep going, don't give up, you might not be down as much as you'd like but if you stick at it you will get results.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Any advice?!

i recently went 11 weeks without a loss... the scale went up, but when it came down it went back to the same number... ELEVEN weeks.... that's nearly 3 months of hopping on the scale and seeing the same number...

so i kept consistent with my deficit, and this week the scale has moved, yay!

plus i could see i was losing inches as clothes that were too tight have started to fit over that 11 week period.. scales are stupid sometimes.
  • eguerrette
    Options
    This morning i measured and all measurements are the same except my arms have gained an inch... definitely not the way I wanted the measurement to go. I can understand why people give up. I feel absolutely defeated
  • kami3006
    Options
    This morning i measured and all measurements are the same except my arms have gained an inch... definitely not the way I wanted the measurement to go. I can understand why people give up. I feel absolutely defeated

Maybe I missed it but are you using a food scale and have you double checked the entries you're using?
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Given you exercise load you should up your carbs to 150 grams per day or 600 calories. Your body is going to be half in half out of ketosis at 60 per day. You want to be solidly out of ketosis with enough carbs to fuel the exercise.

In terms of the weight loss you just need to keep going and zero in on accurate logging. It will pay off.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    bpotts44 wrote: »
    Given you exercise load you should up your carbs to 150 grams per day or 600 calories. Your body is going to be half in half out of ketosis at 60 per day. You want to be solidly out of ketosis with enough carbs to fuel the exercise.

In terms of the weight loss you just need to keep going and zero in on accurate logging. It will pay off.

half in and half out of ketosis? the recommended keto level is 50 net grams people who work out a lot can eat more carbs and still be in ketosis. it just depends on the person.how is someone going to be half in or half out of ketosis? and 60 grams per day could end up being less than the 50 net carbs once fiber is subtracted.