What do you do when a junk food craving hits?

Options
I would like to know what everyone does to keep from eating a bunch of junk food. I, at times, feel almost overwhelmed by a craving for cheetos and Dr.Pepper or somthing like that...

Replies

• fat_girl_b_gone
    Options
    I eat fruit or chew some sugar free gum. Another thing that I do is add a snack that is under 100 calories with the days meal.
  • pmich08
    pmich08 Posts: 193
    Options
    When I really feel like I am going to cheat I grab one of those 100 calorie packs, they have them in all sort of different cookies and crackers, and they help me to get that taste I need.
    They may not be the healthiest thing but at least they don't ruin my calorie goal
  • keyariloses
    keyariloses Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I definitely have junk food cravings every now and then. For the last week, what I have been doing is drinking a few sips of this protein shake called GNC total lean shake. It is 170 cals for the whole bottle but I never drink the whole thing, only about half. It tastes just like a vanilla or chocolate milkshake to me. I also have Jello Mousse Temptations I eat when I have a craving for something sweet. Only 60 cals.
  • dragonfly__
    dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I am finishing up a 90 calorie fiber one brownie as I type this. They are really good and not a bad little treat that is pre-packaged. for the most part I try to replace my sweet treats with fruit and my salty cravings with nuts or hummus and pita.
  • _Corinne_
    _Corinne_ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I sip tea, grab a piece of fruit or completely cave.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I grab a skinny cow when I want a "candy bar" or pop chips, if I want potato chips.
  • bree2012
    bree2012 Posts: 179
    Options
    Keep yourself busy.
    I have that problem too, but recently, I found that the most helpful way is to force yourself away from the kitchen. Go outdoors, take a walk. Read a book. Draw. Ride a bike. Walk the dog. Clean your room. Go to the gym. There are plenty of things to do, and soon enough, you won't be hungry anymore.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I've started trying to distract myself. 9 times out of 10 I'm snacking out of boredom or some emotional reaction to something. I try to take a walk, dive into a cleaning project, get into a really good book, magazine, etc. Keep your hands and mind busy!

OR...if you really need to have something, I love to have microwave popcorn on hand for an emergency. You can eat quite a bit, feel like you're really indulging, and not break the bank. I also like some nice flavored herbal teas, to take the edge off.
  • Bmoviemama
    Options
    I chew sugar free gum also. There are so many cool flavors.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I have been viewing this as a lifestyle change, not a diet... So it is unreasonable not to snack or have sweets. So when I really want something, I have it... And just try to exercise enough that my snack calories are okay
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Have a diet Dr. Pepper fix instead, and look into baked instead of fried snacks, preferably stuff that comes in small portions so you can easily monitor how much you have.

Some people find that working in a small amount of their "treat" food into their daily or weekly allowance helps them to avoid the cravings - which may lead to a binge.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Ahhh I know what you mean! I never, ever, eat fries or chips anymore, and the other day I just really wanted a bag of Doritos. Also, I rarely have Oreos anymore, so the other night my friends and I gave in and treated myself. I let myself have a treat every so often, because then I can satisy my craving, and not overindulge. :)

If you've been "good" for a few days, go for it! If you're having problems staying on track, pass it up for something healthier.
  • MilfShakeIt
    MilfShakeIt Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I try to keep some snack foods that I also enjoy around like hummus and pita chips, or fruit. I also put some pictures of myself when I was thin, pre-kids to motivate me to stay away from the foods that my body doesn't love. (Not that I don't)
  • Nicholec2003
    Nicholec2003 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Lots of great ideas!