Logging in public?

Options
Does anyone here have hesitation in logging their meals in public?

I've found myself at a few group dinners and gatherings over the past few weeks where I'd really like to know after what I've eaten if I can eat more, have another drink or eat dessert. But I can't say for sure until I've logged my current meal and checked my remaining calories for the day.

In the past I've told people about my weight loss goals and talked openly but lately I've been wanting to keep that to myself. I've grown tired of answering the questions and having people inquire about my progress. When I've lost the weight then I'll be happy to discuss. Until then I'd rather keep to myself.

In order to log while I'm out with others I have to go into the bathroom!

Anyone else feel similarly?

Replies

• Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I'd probably feel the same as you, but I'm T2 diabetic and have to log so I don't go over my carbs limit, and I have to know how much, if any, added sugar is in every item. It makes it easier when logging has to be done for medical reasons, so whatever hesitation I had is pretty much gone by now. If people are nosy you could say you'd rather not talk about your weight loss until you've reached your goal. Most people will understand where you're coming from, and the next time you log in public they'll know you're doing it for a good reason and won't press you for information.
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I usually do it in the bathroom as well. I don't like pulling up my front in front of people at dinner anyway so if I went to enter it right away to decide about dessert or a drink, i'll take a bathroom break and do it there. That being said, with my bf I would simply say it and log in front of him, but that's pretty much it.
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Nah..

It's not like someone should be staring at your phone while you're on it. Seems that would be a bit odd..but even if someone were nosy, what you do is your business and really no one has a place to judge you for taking care of yourself and your health.

Edited to add: On the same note, obviously do what you are comfortable with. Answering question after question can get tiring after some time. I suppose you could always try diverting the conversation in order to distract while you log. :)
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Kitten them. Log and forget. It's your body. Would you ask permission to get a tattoo or piercing if you wanted one? Just my 2 cents...
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Kitten them. Log and forget. It's your body. Would you ask permission to get a tattoo or piercing if you wanted one? Just my 2 cents...

It's not about asking permission. It's just the questions that people ask when they see what I'm doing.
  • FibroHiker
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Tell them you are gathering data for an n=1 science experiment. Mentioning science scares many people away from asking more questions.

Haha! Luv this.

I work in a science field and when I start discussing related topics people's eyes start glazing over.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    If I can I look at a menu before I go out and prelog as best I can. When out it is easier not having to explain so I take a photo of my meal before I eat it and then visit the bathroom. I find having the photo gives me a better estimate of what I have eaten rather than relying on memory alone. I do feel uncomfortable logging in front of others that are not my immediate family.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I've always prelogged.
    If you don't want to do that and need to know during the meal but not call attention to it then checking in on your food diary while on a trip to the restroom doesn't seem that bad.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I log before or after when I'm with anybody other than my husband or daughter. I don't have seconds on drinks or unplanned desserts.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    If I'm planning to go out to eat, I look up the menu before I go, make my choice and log it well in advance. That way I know before I even walk into the restaurant. :)
  • FibroHiker
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    If I'm planning to go out to eat, I look up the menu before I go, make my choice and log it well in advance. That way I know before I even walk into the restaurant. :)

I do this as much as I can. Sometimes it's not always possible.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    It's rare that I am the first or the last person at the table to pull out their phone, tap, type and/or swipe for a minute or so and then put the phone away.

Exactly. Worst case I log as best I can from memory on the bus home. It's not precise anyway, and I'm pretty much always over when I go out to eat because like one restaurant meal is like 1000cal. Oh well.
    mmapags wrote: »
    In social situations I don't worry about getting that precise. It's not and everyday thing. If I'm off one day high, I'll be off another day low with errors. One meal doesn't kill you. It's the trend over time. Don't let weight loss interfere with normal live on special occasions. Just get back on board the next day.

And ^ that is why. If it helps you can aim for a weekly goal, and shoot maybe 50cal under for the other days so it evens out, etc.

What I aim for in social situations is to make sure I'm making my food choices mindfully, not mindlessly shoving chips into my face to not talk or just because it's there. Now I try to shoot for something with protein, maybe not fries, and if it's a place with a calorie guestimate on the menu even better. I just drink water, or coffee/tea if it's a brunch thing.

Unless you're an absolute social butterfly and going out multiple times a week, it shouldn't warrant this much stress. (I totally stressed about food choices while going out too, and I'm still not totally calm, until I saw my weight drop anyway. Like I needed that proof for myself, not just hearing other people talk about it).