Struggling

buddyroo
buddyroo Posts: 4 Member
Started Keto about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Have been using urine ketone test strips and have not gotten any readings higher than “small” and most often only get “trace”. Would appreciate any advice.

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,370 Member
    How much protein, fat and carbs are you consuming on a daily basis? What foods are you getting your carbs from?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    What is your goal? (Most people in here are here for weightloss.)
  • buddyroo
    buddyroo Posts: 4 Member
    Goal is weight loss... about 50 lbs. I entered a goal of 2 lbs per week and was given a calorie count goal of 1410. Then I split the pie according to Keto recommendation of 5% carb, 25% protein, 70% fat. Worked out to 88g protein, 110g fat, 18g carbs. Mostly eating salad greens, broccoli, green beans, Brussels sprouts, cabbage for carbs, but also making some recipes from ruled.me. I also have been using almond flour and coconut sporadically (pizza crust and mug muffin).
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Oh, then you just have to eat 1410 calories, but you can take them in any form you like. Eating less is challenging enough, nobody wants that - to succeed with weightloss, anything you do, should make eating less more pleasant as well as easier, not harder or boring.

I expect you to want to "defend" "your choice" at this point, but be aware that keto is touted as "the big thing" right now, but it's not what makes you lose weight. It's eating less that makes you lose weight. Weight management is pretty straightforward, many people get offended when they're told to "eat less, move more", I can understand many see a need to jazz it up, but do so wisely. Decide if feeling "special" is more important that weightloss.

Weight management means finding balance, and balance is in its nature not very exciting. Successful weight managers have come to terms with this, accepted that they really need to eat less/move more, and found happiness in the, well, the mundane, the ordinary, or what you could call " the new normal".