Need tips for running

Options
Hi All, I had my 2nd lil one about two months ago and just few weeks back I have started walking daily for about 40 minutes. Sadly, am not shedding any lbs and instead am gaining lbs day by day ..I also breastfeed which is suppose to help loose lbs too but just not the case with me ... ..So I like to start running daily , admittedly am not a runner at all ..so if you guys can give me some tips for running for beginners would be very helpful ...Thanks so much and am loving all the support here on fitness pal :)

Replies

• erylie
    erylie Posts: 34
    Options
    couch to 5 k! It is amazing! It gives you tips along the way, and it starts you out small and gradually brings you up to more running and less walking. You can search for it on itunes and it's free.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Try out this plan, called Couch to 5k: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I'm doing it and about to start week 3 tonight, it's highly doable!
  • NABrightEyes
    Options
    Start slow! If you have access to a treadmill or flat level track, I recommend starting there. Set small goals of running continuously for 10 minutes and then the next day 15 and so on. Also, find a great running shoe with support and use an Ipod if possible.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you'd gain weight if you're breast feeding and doing any type of exercise. That's the only time in my life I lost weight w/o trying, it just melted off. Are you eating 5 or more small meals & drinking gallons of water & milk?
    My daughter breast feeds also. Everyone I know LOST weight breast feeding.
    I recommend consulting with your dr. Seems to me like you're not supposed to do any really STRENUOUS exercise while breast feeding (but it was some time ago) but I'd definitely ask him about the weight gain. fishy to me
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree with Brighteyes about the shoes... A good pair of shoes may cost a decent amount of money but they are necessary if you want to become a runner. I recommend Asics or Mizunos. I had Mizunos for years then bought a pair of Asics...I won't buy anything else now! Try various brands and see what fits your foot and feels good. Without a good pair of running shoes you'll get shin splints worse than usual.
  • FrauHausMaus
    Options
    I'm on week 3 of couch 2 5K, and I really like it. I listen to Robert Ullery's podcasts- the music isn't detestable and has a good beat to help you keep pace.

Get good shoes.
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K also helped me get into running more. I am now able to run for 35 continuous minutes (albeit slow). It definitely helps to burn calories. And... as others have said, good running shoes are a must. Try to find a running store, if possible, and they will analyze your feet and help get you into the right pair. Definitely worth it.
  • smb0701
    smb0701 Posts: 234
    Options
    two things, 1. whats the rush? u just had ur baby 2 mths ago. give it time it'll come off. 2. the same thing happened to me after having my 3rd, and i too was breastfeeding, but i also was not doing any kind of exercise at all. so i figure that's why i gained the weight, but it to eventually came off with exercise. be patient sis, it's coming off:)