Sugar Intake?

Options
Im finding it EXTREMELY hard to stay within the sugar intake daily goal. I'm not eating anything over sugary, check my diary. I'm wondering how important this level is to losing weight and what I should change about my food diary. Thanks, any input is greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• rachelleh09
    Options
    bump
  • robyn525
    robyn525 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I am not sure how it will change my weight loss.
  • mallo_reeee
    Options
    bump
  • willdbill0712
    willdbill0712 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am new here, but from what I have gathered looking at similar posts, since most of your sugars are based in nature fruits/veggies people usually say that it is no big deal.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    The way I look at it (and what has worked best for me)

is That if I subtract my Natural fruit from my sugar intake, if I am under without my natural fruit, then I am doing just fine... and quite frankly I dont' even watch my sugar that closely, i just don't eat processed sugars.

The whole Fruit makes you go over your sugar so don't eat fruit arguement is absurd.
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    After looking at your diary over the last tow or three days, the majority of your sugar is from fruits with very little refined added sugars to other foods. If you the majority of your sugar is from fruits and veggies, then there is very little to worry about. it is your added sugars and refined sugars added to food that you need to be watch out for.

Sugars from raw fruits and veggies = Good.
    Added and refined sugars to foods = Not so good.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Everybody is different. I know my weight loss stalls if I have sugar/carbohydrates, so I keep them to a minimum.

It doesn't matter what source you get the sugar from. It's all the same whether from fruits, soda, breads, or table sugar.
  • rachelleh09
    Options
    thanks everyone
  • scarletfever2005
    scarletfever2005 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I know this the unpopular answer. But as a diabetic, I've done a good bit of research on the subject of sugar intake and I disagree with the others. True the sugar in fruits is fructose. Refined sugar is glucose and they are different. Glucose is generally considered bad. Fructose on the other hand is often considered good. The reason behind this is people think well it's on natural fruit so oits ok. Well. Not really. Fructose is primarily metabolized in the liver (it's got the right enzymes to do this). Now if there is already glucose in the bloodstream this fructose is stored in the liver as triglycerides (fat). This is the leading cause of fatty liver syndrome (cirrhosis).

Additionally fructose does cause an insulin spike. It's a slower process but it does happen. Anything that causes an insulin spike also causes you to get fatter.

My suggestion is to limit your fruit intake. Exchange your fruits with veggies and protien sources.

Like I said not the popular opinion but it's been working very well for me. Also it is really going to depend on your personal insulin sensitivity as to how well your body tolerates sugar.

I hope is alternate opinion gives you a little something to think about.
  • joggingalong2
    Options
    How much fruit do you eat each day?
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I looked at my diary over the past month - I have been "over" on sugar pretty much every single day (the days I wasn't, it was usually because I had entered a restaurant food that didn't have the sugar listed at all). I like fruit - I usually eat 2-3 pieces a day (especially right now, when everything is in season, fresh and delicious). I've still lost 11 pounds since May.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    As she has said, and as you can see in her diary, she is not eating lots of Products that contain Glucose, so the chances of her having so much glucose in her system that a few servings of fruit is going to cause her body to store the excess fructose as fat is miniscule. Plus No one ever got fat by having their main sugar source be from fruits and veggies. There isn't a study out there that has been proven that eating too much fruit will cause you to get fat because of the sugar, but it is possible to eat over on your calories which would cause you to gain weight.

But I think it is silly to say that eating 2-3 servings of fruit will cause her to have fatty liver syndrome.
    Now if there is already glucose in the bloodstream this fructose is stored in the liver as triglycerides (fat). This is the leading cause of fatty liver syndrome (cirrhosis).

This I completely agree with, a diabetic would be much more sensitive than someone who was not diabetic, AS for myself, Fructose doesn't effect me negatively in the slightest. Glucose is a different story, one cookie and I am in pain.

Also it is really going to depend on your personal insulin sensitivity as to how well your body tolerates sugar.
  • scarletfever2005
    scarletfever2005 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • rachelleh09
    Options
    I agree with kimmeroze's reply. I don't eat an abundance of fruit. But like an apple has 16 g of sugar, so does that mean i shouldnt eat apples if I want to leave the rest of my day open for other foods with sugar? you need a balance of fruit in your diet. and what im reading about that makes sense.