Scared of Macro Counting, Please assist!

Options
Hi, i wanted to get a second opinion.
So quick back story. I was 240 2 years and now i'm 196. the biggest change happened in the last 2 months when i decided to only eat a smoothy, 2 eggs and a while medium avocado every day. it was basically 1100 calories, while going to the gym as well. It was difficult with the headaches but they soon left and i was doing okay with this program. I only had at best my macros at the time where: 80g protein, 40g carbs, 72g of fat. and once a week i had a cheat meal and only ate that one meal for that day.

So now I hired someone to be my coach and the macros he gave me were:250g carbs, 55g fats and 200g protein so i can get "shredded".

Today is my first day and i felt like i ate way too much. maybe it's because my body hasn't had this much food in so long or something along the lines, at the end of the day i'm weighing 5 pounds heavier than normal! that will go down tomorrow, but i feel like at this rate i will gain weight. and not reach my goal of 15% body fat or lower. currently i'm at 21%.

Should i just trust this coach? it's an 8 week program.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Yes, trust your coach.

Your previous diet was unhealthy. You clearly do not know what you're doing on your own. Follow the advice of the person you chose for his/her expertise. Otherwise, what's the point of hiring the coach? Also, talk to your coach about your concerns rather than a bunch of strangers.

This, many times over.

It is a huge pet peeve when someone has a coach but doesn't do what they say - how are they meant to gauge your progress if you don't follow their plan? If you do what they say, at least they know how to change things if they don't work, or if you don't progress how they expect.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    ^ They're both right.

You're going to feel fuller because you've doubled your intake but were seriously undereating previously. I don't know all your stats but this calorie goal is much better for a man of 196 lbs.
  • vmbourg
    vmbourg Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Try it out and see if you get results. I work out 5 days a week, I'm 160lbs and I try to hit at a very minimum 100g of protein per day, but I try to reach 130g, I keep my fat around 50g, and honestly I don't pay much attention to grams of carbs because I seem to always hit 50% of my calories for the day, which is around 200 most days, and they are coming from complex and fruit. I find I am getting a lot more results muscle wise. I lost enough weight to throw out the scale, so I focus on gains and inches lost. But listen to your coach! And worse case scenario, it doesn't work, but it sounds legit to me.
  • Justbeck101
    Justbeck101 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try researching some of Mike Matthews recommendations. He has a good program and has done a lot of research.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Yes, trust your coach.

Your previous diet was unhealthy. You clearly do not know what you're doing on your own. Follow the advice of the person you chose for his/her expertise. Otherwise, what's the point of hiring the coach? Also, talk to your coach about your concerns rather than a bunch of strangers.
    This, many times over.

It is a huge pet peeve when someone has a coach but doesn't do what they say - how are they meant to gauge your progress if you don't follow their plan? If you do what they say, at least they know how to change things if they don't work, or if you don't progress how they expect.

What, no pushback on:
    1. "250g carbs, 55g fats and 200g protein so i can get "shredded""? There's no magical macro mix for shredding.
    2. Or jumping right from 1100 calories a day to 2295?
    3. And no questions on what are the qualifications of this coach?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Yes, trust your coach.

This, many times over.

What, no pushback on:
    1. "250g carbs, 55g fats and 200g protein so i can get "shredded""? There's no magical macro mix for shredding.
    2. Or jumping right from 1100 calories a day to 2295?
    3. And no questions on what are the qualifications of this coach?

Good points, but all those things are better than 1100cals IMO