Treadmill VS. Outside

Options
sc1572
sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
I am doing my first half marathon with my friend in January, we're both 19 and workout everyday. I find it SO much easier to run inside on a treadmill compared to outside. I live in Texas, so right now the weather/humidity plays a lot into that...the average temp. at the time I workout is about 102 outside.

Anyways, I find I can run about ten minutes on the treadmill with no problem, and then can barely make two minutes outside sometimes. Everyday is different for me, and right now I am unable to run cause of a sprained ankle, but what is the best way to "run better" outside and not just inside on a treadmill?

On average everyday I eat between 1200-1600 calories, depending on exercise, and burn about 300-700, depending on exercise as well.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Do you put the treadmill at a gradient so you lift your legs properly. Certainly a flat treadmill is easier than walking outside because it's doing some of the work for you.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Here's a good article for you... I just happened to read it earlier this week and starting using the track at the gym instead of the treadmill...

http://www.megankfitness.com/curious-incidents-at-the-gym-treadmill-running/
  • texasrebel83
    texasrebel83 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    try running at a 1.0 incline on the treadmill, its supposed to mimic the natural incline outside. Part of it is also conditioning and getting used to running outside with humidity, wind, etc..
  • Nikkerz620
    Nikkerz620 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I use an incline.. it seems to help a little bit between outside and inside.
  • EllenSBry
    EllenSBry Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I mostly run outside, and I think the key is building up time/distance over time. It IS easier to run on a treadmill - it is moving for you, it's bouncy, it doesn't change steepness unless you tell it to.

Maybe try some run/walk interval training to build up your stamina outdoors....
  • SpaceMarkus
    Options
    Outside. You need to find your own pace, not one set by a treadmill. I found I could go 6 miles inside, and maybe 2 miles outside. I had to get out before doing my first half, and it really helped. A treadmill won't train you for having to stop for slow people, run around groups, go off the trail, or keep your eyes and ears alert of people coming at you from all directions.
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    I live in San Antonio, Texas so I know what you mean. I run at night or early in the morning when its cool. Keep running! Every Saturday, add about 1/2 a mile to your run until you can run 8 miles w/o stopping. Set a goal - for example 75 miles a month, then next month 100, then next month 120, etc. I would not go much over 120 miles a month.

I would only run on a treadmil when you absolutely cant do it on the actual pavement.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    The treadmill sets a pace for you and you stick with it. Outside, I find it harder to pace myself and tend to get tired faster. It takes time to get used to it. (This is from when I was fit and used to actually run!).

I've just started the C25K on the treadmill and feel great jogging. But I took it outside and WOOF! Totally different.

The incline/training programs might help you.
  • annaasun
    annaasun Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Have tired swimming. Its low impact and would help strengthen the muscle around your ankle. Or you can running in the water. I know that sounds silly but if you try sprinting in the shallow end its a great cardio work out.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I can currently jog a bit, and have been doing a lot of biking and swimming. As far as the treadmill goes, normally...before I got injured...I would do treadmill for an hour and alternate between a 3 incline at a 7mph-8mph speed, with a 10 incline and 4mph speed.
  • kimfield99
    kimfield99 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Like Texas Rebel mentioned, I run at a 1.0 incline to help mimic outdoor resistance. When I run inside becasue of the weather i always set it at 1.0, but when I trained for my first half I made sure I got out in soem more extreme weather but had to be careful to pace myself. Every person is different, but I find I run faster outside than I do when i set the pace on the treadmill which can tucker me out quicker. If you have a goal in mind in terms of distance it may be helpful to break up the run into sections and time yourself to figure out your pace. If you are overdoign it ont he first leg of a run you can dial it back for the next leg. Does that make sense? I guess I am suggesting that findign your pace outdoors is much more challenging nad you may need to develop some strategies for figuring out what pace works best for you. Good luck with your training.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Here's a good article for you... I just happened to read it earlier this week and starting using the track at the gym instead of the treadmill...

http://www.megankfitness.com/curious-incidents-at-the-gym-treadmill-running/

I feel like this could be true, but I'm going to throw this out there. I find it much, much, much easier to run faster for a sustained period of time outside versus on a treadmill. It may just be a mental game with me, but I can run 3-mile in 25-minutes outside easily, but if I try it inside I find that my legs hurt, I'm breathing harder, and it just feels like a lot more work.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Get off the dreadmill and get outside!

Your race is outside so you should train outside as much as possible.
  • rlwiggins227
    rlwiggins227 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Shorter runs are fine for inside on the TM, but try to do your longer training runs outside. Good luck and have fun!!!