Snack ideas?

The0Trizzle
The0Trizzle Posts: 11 Member
So I'm just starting back into losing weight and I need some snack ideas? I'm on the go a lot so something quick and easy would be nice :)

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    I prefer savoury snacks.

roast chickpeas, I do these in an air fryer
    https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-crispy-roasted-chickpeas-in-the-oven-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-219753
    raw veg dipped in hummous or tzaziki
    sweet chilli rice crackers
    air popped popcorn sprinkled with ranch dressing mix
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    I always had to snack until I started Keto. That said, a handful of almonds always seemed to take the edge off. Adds a little fat and bulk without the sugar.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Snacks I have in my diet include:

Protein brownies
    Low fat greek yoghurt + banana
    Peanut butter sandwich
    Protein bread chocolate sandwiches
    Variety of fruits
    Milkshakes
    Dates
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    edited August 2018
    One of my favorites is sliced radishes. They are crunchy and the spiciness of them takes away any sweet or fatty craving I'm having. Some stores sell them already sliced too.

Definitely string cheese
    Serving of jerky
    Boiled egg
    Apple or pear

Snacking I found I do best with low carb or high fiber items. If I do chips or crackers type of snacks then I start looking for more and blow my calorie allotment. I'm not low carb at all for full meals. If I want chips, etc I eat them with something else super filling.
  • MADgical72
    MADgical72 Posts: 81 Member
    A bread stick or pretzel stick with a slice or two or ham and squirt of mustard.
    Skim milk ricotta on a slice of whole wheat toast, wasa or 2 whole wheat Melba toast.
  • vickeydorton
    vickeydorton Posts: 24 Member
    My go to snack when I want something is a spoonful of whipped strawberry cream cheese with a spoonful of coolwhip
  • MADgical72
    visavjq2adgh.jpeg
    1/2 slice of multi grain toast, a smear of ricotta, topped with some avocado spread (1 avocado, 1 garlic clove, juice of 1/2 lemon, salt & pepper and about 1/2 tbsp of evoo. I put it all in a blender and mix it up).

It’s an under 200 snack. Even better on a wasa.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Roasted chick peas are awesome.... but I can't keep those around.
    I frequently have a Quaker Chewy granola bar, about 100 calories. It fills me up, and usually if I am short of calories at the end of the day it is enough to put me over.
    A few spoonfuls of Greek yogurt.
    I like roasted seaweed snacks as well, these really seem to fill me up or at least turn off the hunger craving.
  • NJCJF
    NJCJF Posts: 134 Member
    nonfat plain Greek yogurt 1/2 c blueberries tsp honey and sprinkle cinnamon
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Lately I'm doing a lot of cherry tomatoes with cottage cheese. I was eating cucumbers also but my cucumber plants died.

Also I eat a lot of pineapple, blueberries and watermelon.

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    If you crave things like potato chips, you can do a fat free version in the microwave. Slice a potato thin in a food processor or with a mandolin. On a large plate lined with silicon paper or silicon mesh, spread out the potatoes in a single layer. Season. I like to use a vinegar flavoured salt. Zap in the microwave on high for 5-6 minutes. Check and remove any that have turned golden brown. Continue to zap stragglers at 1 minute intervals but be careful because the margin between golden brown and burnt is pretty narrow. These harden into a chip-like texture as they cool down.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I snack quite a bit when I'm in maintenance...when I need to cut weight, I typically cut out the snacking. It's mostly boredom and habit. It works for maintenance to help me get my calories in, but I cut weight a lot easier by just cutting out the snacking save for one planned late afternoon snack that holds me until dinner as we eat dinner late.
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    I used to work full time and go to school 3 nights a week. I was always on the go.
    I always baked muffins or bars during the week-end and eat them throughout the week. Depending on what you put in them, they usually were between 120 to 200 cals each. Making them is usually much more forgiving than buying pre-made snack.

For most recipes you find online you can easily:
    Swap oil for apple sauce.
    Cut back on sugar, I tried to never have more than 1/3 cup per recipes. If you have a sweet tooth, add dried fruits which should help. You don't have to replace sugar in the recipe.
    Swap some of the white flour for whole wheat. About 1/3 of the flour could be swap, more would result in a dense muffin.

• MADgical72
    Mariluny reminded me about the granola bar recipe I make. They are similar to Quaker’s chewy bars.

Granola Chewy Bars
    Ingredients
    2 1/4 cups old fashioned oats
    1/2 cup whole wheat flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    5 tablespoons applesauce
    1/4 cup honey
    1/4 cup Splenda brown sugar (I often omit)
    1/2 cup additions
    Additions can be any combination of: raisins, dates, cranberries, sunflower seeds, chopped nuts, etc.

Directions
    Preheat oven to 325. Grease an 8x8 pan.
    Combine all ingredients. Mix well.
    Press mixture into pan. (Use a piece of wax paper on top and compact) Bake 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 10 min, then cut into 9 bars. Cool completely before serving.

Can be wrapped in individual bars for a week of treats/breakfasts.

Can be doubled for 9 x 13 pan.

This was a recipe I had copied from sparkpeople years ago.
  • AMcGuigan1
    AMcGuigan1 Posts: 2 Member
    Whitworths - Paradise Banana Chips........really nice