Scared to size down my wedding ring

Options
This morning at the gym while I was jogging on a treadmill it flew off. I was lucky I found it, but I'm afraid of having it resized before I lose more weight as I've got another 30 lbs to go.

Has anybody else dealt with this?

Replies

• Mrshamblen
    Mrshamblen Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic! Thank you and it's only like five dollars!!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I have 2 wedding bands. One from when we got married and I was thinner and one I got when that one no longer fit. (Neither were very expensive.) So when my bigger ring is too loose I can wear the smaller one. I also went ringless for several years.

Options:
    Pick up one of those ring adjuster things to make your ring fit better.
    Wear the ring on a chain around your neck.
    Go completely ringless for awhile and get it resized when you are near your goal.
    Buy an inexpensive temporary ring to wear until you get closer to your goal.
    Get a ring tattoo.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    A quick and cheap fix is to simply put sports tape around your ring in one spot to make it thicker. It also makes it less slippery, so a lot less likely to slip off. My hands swell when I exercise in the heat, and shrink when I'm cold. I'm not willing to resize the ring and risk not being able to wear it, or having it cut off circulation. I had a metal ring adjuster for a while, but during a period when I was hiking a lot, it got too painful.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to have that problem!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Congrats on your progress so far! You can use a temporary ring size adjuster until you're certain of your new ring size. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0757JLTY7/ref=sspa_mw_detail_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wear these - when my hands are hot my rings are impossible to take off, when they're cold they just slide off when I shake my hands. I wouldn't want to resize the rings, but I can't wear them without worrying I'll lose one in cold weather.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    Wear it as a necklace pendant

This - at least until you reach the weight you want to be. I lost mine by having it fly off into a water channel just before my 25 anniversary :/ I had had it enlarged after not wearing it for ages cos it was so tight - lost weight but didn't want to have it resized until I was at goal. In the end I lost it forever a chain would have been a great idea.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Yes, my wedding set almost fell down a drain.
    I already tried adjusters but they were still too big, so I got it sized down two sizes. Well they're too big again and my engagement ring is spinning around my finger. The jeweler said wait til I reach goal weight to get it resized again, because twice is the max.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    As a jeweler, I’d advise not wearing rings when working out. Besides the risk of loss, you can damage them lifting weights, grabbing bars, banging on equipment.
    Interestingly, even 100 lbs heavier, I could still wear almost all of my rings except the really wide ones. However, I have had 4 links taken out of all of my watches!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I had the opposite problem. I was very, very thin when I got married and my rings were tiny. When I gained weight I was too vain to have them sized up, so I didn't wear my rings at all for the past 10+ years. My husband (of nearly 40 years now) also lost his band somewhere on our property, so neither of us was wearing a wedding ring for quite awhile.

This past year we finally decided enough was enough. I've lost weight, but still had the rings sized up a bit so they were more comfortable. We bought the husband a new band and now we're both back to wearing rings again. Although we realized it wasn't necessary to a happy marriage, it's still nice to have that symbol.

All that being said, I never wear my rings when I work out. I swim and do aquasize and I wouldn't want to lose them in the pool and then have to go deep-diving to find them.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I got metal sizers from Amazon because my ring had already been sized up when I got it in the first place, and then resized when they did it wrong. I don't wear it for lifting at all because it will break the sizer and potentially bend the ring itself. If I'm going out for a run, I leave it at home. My hands tend to swell when running.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I had a jeweler put on flexible metal ring guards. It self adjusts. I used for about 100 lbs of my loss on 3 different rings. scgw5ex3xbr0.jpeg
  • auzziecawth
    auzziecawth Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Opposite problem. Hoping I can finally get my ring back on once I lose a few more pounds. Haven’t worn it since I was about 6 months preggers and baby is a year now 😪😕
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I had mine sized down after losing 100 lbs or so, went down 6 sizes. I came close to losing them before that! Then I lost another 60 lbs but my rings still fit, if a little loose. Not enough for me to resize again. Probably just as well because I gained 80 back and my rings still fit but snug. I’m losing again and my fingers are almost back to where I was when I resized them. It’s always a tough thing knowing how much fingers will change with weight loss!