Eating before exercise

Options
When going for a light jog should I have a snack before then have a breakfast afterwards or would it be better to have my breakfast before then run?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Personal preference. I workout in the mornings (7:30am) and don't eat until after 12pm. But then I also eat up till 11:30pm at night.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Whichever works for you.

3 miles or less I do fasted, any further and I have my breakfast an hour before I run
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Go with what works best for you.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Whatever suits you or skip breakfast entirely.
    You don't need to fuel a "light jog".
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    As others have said, whatever works for you. I have a pretty “cast iron” stomach so I can eat before a fairly significant workout without I’ll effect. I make my decision on time as much as anything.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    For a short run, coffee and a banana work for me. For a long one, I'll eat breakfast and wait at least an hour before running.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's trial and error finding what works for you.

If you're eating a reasonably balanced diet you probably have enough glycogen stored to see you through up to 90 minutes of moderate exercise. Personally I can' stand running with food in my stomach, typically I'll run my mid week 10km runs fasted (well, after coffee) . For my long run on the weekend I'll eat something (toast & PB for example) at least an hour before heading out the door.