Delicious 4-ingredient 70-cal chocolate recipe!

Options
arnnanz
arnnanz Posts: 34 Member
Guys, I'm so excited. I've been trying to find a decent homemade chocolate recipe for years and I have to say this is the best one yet.

Melt 1/2c cacao butter and 1/2c coconut oil together in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Whisk in 1/2c cocoa powder. Add your choice of sweetener (or none!) pour into moulds, and set in the fridge.

That's it! This makes about 20 depending on your moulds. I use 1tsp real maple syrup and a splash of peppermint essence for mine which works out to 70cal each. The maple syrup can sink a little as they set, and so does the honey I've tried, but it's almost like a chewy layer on top when cold from the fridge - delicious. I'd like to try it with liquid stevia and other sweeteners too to get the best texture.

They are divine - rich and satisfying, with that perfect chocolate snap in your mouth, and so dark I really only need one - and I am saying that as someone with the worst sweet tooth you've ever met! Would love to try this with freeze-dried raspberries and maybe a mint fondant filling of some sort.

If you have other homemade chocolate recipes I would love to hear them!

Replies

• iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    arnnanz wrote: »
    Guys, I'm so excited. I've been trying to find a decent homemade chocolate recipe for years and I have to say this is the best one yet.

Melt 1/2c cacao butter and 1/2c coconut oil together in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Whisk in 1/2c cocoa powder. Add your choice of sweetener (or none!) pour into moulds, and set in the fridge.

That's it! This makes about 20 depending on your moulds. I use 1tsp real maple syrup and a splash of peppermint essence for mine which works out to 70cal each. The maple syrup can sink a little as they set, and so does the honey I've tried, but it's almost like a chewy layer on top when cold from the fridge - delicious. I'd like to try it with liquid stevia and other sweeteners too to get the best texture.

They are divine - rich and satisfying, with that perfect chocolate snap in your mouth, and so dark I really only need one - and I am saying that as someone with the worst sweet tooth you've ever met! Would love to try this with freeze-dried raspberries and maybe a mint fondant filling of some sort.

If you have other homemade chocolate recipes I would love to hear them!

Isn't this awfully high in saturated fat or am I missing something?
  • arnnanz
    arnnanz Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is high in saturated fat, and yes, these are pure fat! It's personal preference as to whether that matters to you in your eating plan or not. (For the record, I eat coconut oil regularly and have excellent LDL/HDL results). But I didn't post this to get into a coconut oil saturated-fat discussion! I find that just one serving of these (containing around 5.5g of coconut oil) is wonderfully non binge-triggering compared to other single-serve 'treat' foods, especially ones with artificial sweeteners. I love being able to quickly make them at home with pantry ingredients, and great for gifts too.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup cocoa butter = 963 kcal
    1/2 cup coconut oil = 972 kcal
    1/2 cup cocoa powder = 98 kcal
    1 tsp maple syrup = 17 kcal
    963 + 972 + 98 + 17 = 2,050

2050/20 = 102.5

It seems you're undercounting the calories on these by about 30%.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea. It works without the coconut butter as well (that's they way I have always done it for Paleo plans).

No criticisms from me....how can you when it's chocolate!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    arnnanz wrote: »
    I used the barcode scanner on my products, measuring and weighing exactly. Of course your results may vary. Anyone who’s worried about the impact of a 8g piece of chocolate on their entire day is probably going to be weighing all their own ingredients anyway.

For Pete’s sake people where are the “yum looks great thanks, I’m always looking for new recipes!” comments??

I’m just going to leave this here and y’all can bicker on and nitpick as much as you want :D

By cocoa powder you mean the unsweetened kind, yes? This recipe looks dreadfully unsweetened to me. You'd probably get more positive comments in the Keto or Low Carb groups.

Here are two of my favorite chocolate recipes:

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/totally-chocolate-chocolate-chip-cookies
    https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/221149/chef-johns-chili-chocolate-cookies/ (the pepper and cinnamon are a nice change, but these are also delicious without them.)
  • cassiebajjey
    cassiebajjey Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I can't recall the recipe exactly, but I have made some decent chocolate cookies that were gluten free-(for my mother in law and she liked them...so you know it's good.)

I used egg whites and cocoa powder and sweetener of your choice. Google "lava cookies gluten free" and I believe it would pop up from Good Housekeeping magazine. :)
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I would rather have a gummy bear :D
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a fun way to use the little candy molds I was gifted last year, thanks for sharing the idea!
  • mjrc2
    mjrc2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I like it! I make a peanut butter chocolate banana oatmeal that I am rather fond of. I have not made it since joining my fitness pal because it is more of a winter meal. I do not know it's calories, but it is darn good. Smash up an over ripe banana, oats, put in whatever milk you prefer, or water if that's your thing, add unsweetened cocoa powder and peanut butter and zap in the microwave. It looks like poo, but to me it tastes like a not super sweet raw no-bake cookie. I don't use a lot of peanut butter, maybe one tablespoon? It satisfies the chocolate cravings without a lot of sugar.
  • aliblain
    aliblain Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Sounds good- I love bitter chocolate.Can’t believe you’re being berated!