DAMN YOU SPINACH!

Options

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I stir spinach through things last minute so it doesn't squash down too much ... I hate overcooked soggy spinach!
  • mrslynda
    mrslynda Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I actually like this about spinach. My work day calories are high, and I don't always reach them. Spinach adds a lot of nutrients without taking up too much space in my stomach. I tend to eat raw baby spinach, in salads (especially pasta) or with steak, crumbed chicken or in eggs.

My 12 year old daughter is a pretty poor eater variety wise, and doesn't like many fruits or vege. Her iron is low and the dr wants her to increase iron in her diet before trying tablets. She tried spinach on pizza, and now keeps asking for more. She likes the metal taste.....
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    :D made me smile JD
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Don't cook it! :)
  • kbs52582
    kbs52582 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Lol... facts! The disappearing veggie 🤔
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I had that same complaint when I tried making popcorn cauliflower. A whole head was reduced to a single bowl (and I ate it all).
  • JasonDee1989
    JasonDee1989 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    :D made me smile JD

Glad someone can appreciate a little spinach humor. 🙌🏼
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    LOL 😂
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Oh god, I laughed so hard because it’s so true. It’s so small, but so filling.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    mrslynda wrote: »
    My 12 year old daughter is a pretty poor eater variety wise, and doesn't like many fruits or vege. Her iron is low and the dr wants her to increase iron in her diet before trying tablets. She tried spinach on pizza, and now keeps asking for more. She likes the metal taste.....

Note that the iron in spinach has a fairly low dietary availability, so you may want to combine it with foods that improve iron absorption - does she like oranges?
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    So true....throw in handfuls in a recipe.....where did it go :| go ???
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    I actually like this about spinach. My work day calories are high, and I don't always reach them. Spinach adds a lot of nutrients without taking up too much space in my stomach. I tend to eat raw baby spinach, in salads (especially pasta) or with steak, crumbed chicken or in eggs.

She'd have to eat 7.5 cups of raw spinach to get the same iron from one serving of Wellshire Farms Liverwurst.

37ae7e4c1b4637c2051449838e1a7b1b.png

I'm anemic, and I supplement. There are forms of iron that don't cause constipation, etc: https://smile.amazon.com/Solgar-Gentle-Iron-Vegetable-Capsules/dp/B00013Z0QA/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1534096925&sr=8-1&keywords=solgar+gentle+iron+25mg&dpID=51rGSlrH7OL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch&th=1
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    That's why I overbuy the amount I think we will eat - it's always a surprise how much you start out with and how little you end up with. Have you ever tried it with a teaspoon of sesame oil and a TBSP of sesame seeds?
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »

Note that the iron in spinach has a fairly low dietary availability, so you may want to combine it with foods that improve iron absorption - does she like oranges?

Eat something with vitamin C also - It helps the iron absorption
  • JasonDee1989
    JasonDee1989 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    That's why I overbuy the amount I think we will eat - it's always a surprise how much you start out with and how little you end up with. Have you ever tried it with a teaspoon of sesame oil and a TBSP of sesame seeds?

No but that sounds great!
  • asuroxychick
    asuroxychick Posts: 4,358 Member
    Options
    Ohhh noooo not cooked spinach! ! Lol
  • forestdweller46
    forestdweller46 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I stuff a mini pita with a roma tomato-2 slices of bacon-and all the fresh spinach it will hold. It's name is Breakfast.
    Just a touch over 200 calories, even with a T of 5 calorie mayo.
    A hot dinner salad over fresh spinach gives it that cooked/not cooked thing. Some nutritionists say more nutrients in cooked, some say more in uncooked.

elsie6hickman....Great idea. A teaspoon of sesame oil improves almost anything!!
  • mrslynda
    mrslynda Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »

She'd have to eat 7.5 cups of raw spinach to get the same iron from one serving of Wellshire Farms Liverwurst.

37ae7e4c1b4637c2051449838e1a7b1b.png

I'm anemic, and I supplement. There are forms of iron that don't cause constipation, etc: https://smile.amazon.com/Solgar-Gentle-Iron-Vegetable-Capsules/dp/B00013Z0QA/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1534096925&sr=8-1&keywords=solgar+gentle+iron+25mg&dpID=51rGSlrH7OL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch&th=1[/quote]

She is apparently not anemic, but low iron. I am guessing she gets plenty of vitamin b, which helps. When I say fussy, she is Autistic, and has a lot of anxiety about trying new food. It is often two steps forward, one step back for a while, and then a lot of steps back for a bit. At the moment the mental health team isn't too worried about her eating, because she is a very healthy weight. 47 kilos, around 103 pounds, and 159cm or I think 5' 5 . So she eats enough, but not enough range.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but she eats cereal- nutrigrain, vitabix, sometimes porridge or rice bubbles (rice crispies). Sometimes a milk drink with vitamins. She has Vegemite sandwiches for lunch, usually on multigrain bread and crackers. She doesn't always eat that. But that's what my husband packs. She will eat chips, especially corn chips, but she limits those to a small bowl. Basically my kids know what a serve of anything is for them by the bowls they use. She normally will eat plain ish dinners. The only vegetables she will eat is potatoes, and occasionally baked beans. She eats sausages, mince, eggs and cheese as her main proteins. Sometimes fish fingers. Rice and pasta are also staples. She will only eat pears, and bananas and sometimes rarely sultanas. She only drinks water, milk, and very rarely cordial. She naturally likes chocolate and ice cream, but doesn't really eat much of that. Oh and we need to buy shares in tomato sauce.

Unfortunately people with anxiety towards food can be hard to help, especially kids. This is the category of kids that will starve themselves. Fortunately she eats better then a lot of kids, but as she gets older , she will definitely notice it if she doesn't eat better.

Thank you for commenting. I really to appreciate people sharing what works for them. It helps when working out what she might like to try and what will help her.

• jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    d6fynsojsqf7.jpg

😂😂😂