Exercises with plantar-fasciitis

Options
tmbg1
tmbg1 Posts: 1,277 Member
I have really bad plantar-fasciitis, so I can only bike, swim, and use the elliptical rn. Does anyone have any ideas for something different that is cardio and can be done while recovering from pf? I'm getting tired of doing the same thing every day. Thanks ☺

Replies

• GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Rowing machine.
  • tmbg1
    Options
    Good idea and there is one at my gym!!
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Plantar fasciitis sucks. I had it too but my physio let me still skate just said no running. It's tough finding variety. Inhave no help, just commiseration. Sorry
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    tmbg1 wrote: »
    Good idea and there is one at my gym!!

Excellent news. I used to suffer PF so I feel your pain. On the bright side of things since I lost me weight the PF is gone completely. I hope you get your PF under control because it really does suck.
  • tmbg1
    Options
    Thanks y'all - I am hoping that losing weight helps because I can't even go fitness walking yet. This truly sucks!!
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I got some orthotic insoles - they really help. I now wear shoes indoors a lot, whereas i used to love to be barefoot, but it worth as it makes such a difference. For mine from Amazon.
  • FENIX37
    FENIX37 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I had / have it and got sick of it stopping me training so I thought it hadn't dropped off so I'm going to crack on. I'm back doing IM triathlons
  • tmbg1
    Options
    Yes my Dr forbid me from going barefoot and from flip flops, but I live near the beach so it's torture lol!
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    My physio guy had me get one of these
    Helped a lot when walking and also wearing good sensible shoes. Blargh
    https://www.londondrugs.com/tensor-sport-therapeutic-arch-support/L8693939.html
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    tmbg1 wrote: »
    I have really bad plantar-fasciitis, so I can only bike, swim, and use the elliptical rn. Does anyone have any ideas for something different that is cardio and can be done while recovering from pf? I'm getting tired of doing the same thing every day. Thanks ☺

Get some good running shoes that are between 8 & 12 mm drop & good arch support, stretch your feet by pulling your toes toward you with a band of some sort. You should be able to do walking if you start slow.

Check with your doctor first.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Get some KT tape and check youtube for taping instructions. Stand on a lacrosse ball too. Worked wonders for me and cleared it up fast.
  • tmbg1
    Options
    Great ideas thanks!
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I had it bad and two things cleared it up for good - wearing orthotics in my shoes (I no longer need them) and - rolling my feet over a rolling pin, back and forth. Did that every night as recommended by one of my physical therapists and it really helped.
  • atkhorses
    atkhorses Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    My physio guy had me get one of these
    Helped a lot when walking and also wearing good sensible shoes. Blargh
    https://www.londondrugs.com/tensor-sport-therapeutic-arch-support/L8693939.html

How has that arch support worked for you? I currently wear 'sole' insoles and Asics kayano only. can't find any dress shoes for school, (I teach). Have been looking into a brand called Klogs. And have worn the nursing shoes (can't remember the name, they have a butterfly on the soles, don't really like that) thanks
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Freeze a plastic bottle of water and roll it under your heel, it really helps.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Find a therapy place that does Active Release Therapy (ART). They basically take a smooth butter knife & they rub it in your arch & break up the scar tissue that causes the issue. For me it was a life saver. I had/have the orthopedic inserts & 2 cortisone shots, but they didn't really help. I was walking like I was 80 years old & ended up with back & hip issues, but ART helped me so much, I actually ran a 10K & I've never been a runner.
  • tmbg1
    Options
    More great ideas. Thanks! Never heard of art...... I'll ask my podiatrist about it
  • Sugoiharris
    Sugoiharris Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have bad PF. I got arch supports for my shoes, make sure to stretch my whole leg and back (all thats connected), and wear compression socks at night while I sleep. That all seems to help. Im counting on weight loss to help with the rest. Otherwise, I dont modify my workouts for it. Just take a little extra time to warm up your legs and stretch well in the cool down.
  • JonDrees
    JonDrees Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Just to buck the trend a little, I'd recommend going barefoot/socks whenever possible vs. adding tons of padding to your shoes. If you have access to a nice strip of grass/turf you could try some walking or jogging on it, if your PF allows.

Also, there are plenty of HIIT style workouts you could complete that require little to no foot impact.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Cortisone shot fixed mine right up