Water Aerobics

Options
I am considering giving water aerobics a try..Anyone here have experience with it? I have a lot of weight to lose.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I started with water aerobics when I first got back to exercising. I enjoyed it.
  • dnunny70
    dnunny70 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Very much enjoyed it!!!
  • 69HealthyMe
    69HealthyMe Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I use to love water aerobics until my gym with a pool closed.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    give it a try. i know someone who loves it!
  • quansc
    quansc Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I love it!
  • danbark3
    danbark3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I mix in water aerobics with my land classes. I've been taking them for 2y and still love it!
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,861 Member
    Options
    Our pool has "deep water running" classes. I did that three times a week the first couple of years I was losing weight and really liked it. I also had a lot of weight to lose. There were lots of people in the class like me and also some who, due to an injury, were no longer able to do other types of exercises. The hardest part is walking across the pool deck for the first time in a bathing suit! And then it becomes no big deal. Give it a try :)
  • kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I have some degenerative disks and I want to be able to get fitter while not messing up my neck. Since 2 of the most inspiring people on MFP started out with to, I think I'll give it a try.
  • jdubois5351
    jdubois5351 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I loved water aerobics but couldn't continue because of the cost (too pricy here, unfortunately). It was great fun while it lasted and provided a great workout.
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I used to do it, and really enjoyed it. I’ve been meaning to go back, but am enjoying walking these days and am working on training for a trail walk, so haven’t got there yet!
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Like others, I started with water fitness when I was getting back into exercising. It was wonderful. It's amazing how much cardio you can get from water jogging!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, go for it!
  • skinnyrev2b
    skinnyrev2b Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I love it. I've got to the point now where I'm using two sets of weights at a time and in the deepest (=harder) part of the pool. One could almost say I've outgrown it, but I get such a buzz from the banter, the music and the fact that I don't feel sweaty. Not to mention that - for the first time in my exercise life - I actually feel like I'm one of the fitter ones in the class. This is after arriving in January as very much one of the more unfit participants. So it's been a great fitness journey and a fab motivator. Go for it.
  • jjf1125
    jjf1125 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been working out in a pool for the last two years. I have weak kneesand ankles and exercising in water reduces the stress. I have lost over 75 lbs so far.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i did water zumba for a summer (with my regular workouts).

i enjoyed it, but i never felt like i got in a good workout.

but it was fun lol
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    @callsitlikeiseeit, getting a good work out can definitely depend upon the instructor, and their reading of the class.

When aquafit was my 3x a week routine each class had a different instructor and, though well balanced work outs, one was a leg person, one arms, and one core. It made a really good mix.
    They all also did the regular move and then showed the easy and hard variations.

I still think my aqua fit and belly dancing were my best core workouts, just because both depended so much on posture, the former balance as well.

I went to a few drop in sessions this year and found the newer instructors were more basic and I left the class feeling a little deflated.

I am starting back, Wednesday only (a replacement because can't fit my Sunday yoga in) in September and have already decided that I will probably have to be my own motivator to do the hard options, as the variants are often not given.

I find it is a class where you can do a lot, or do a little, depending on how much you want to push yourself, or if you know today you just need a good relaxing stretch.

Cheers, h.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    @callsitlikeiseeit, getting a good work out can definitely depend upon the instructor, and their reading of the class.

When aquafit was my 3x a week routine each class had a different instructor and, though well balanced work outs, one was a leg person, one arms, and one core. It made a really good mix.
    They all also did the regular move and then showed the easy and hard variations.

I still think my aqua fit and belly dancing were my best core workouts, just because both depended so much on posture, the former balance as well.

I went to a few drop in sessions this year and found the newer instructors were more basic and I left the class feeling a little deflated.

I am starting back, Wednesday only (a replacement because can't fit my Sunday yoga in) in September and have already decided that I will probably have to be my own motivator to do the hard options, as the variants are often not given.

I find it is a class where you can do a lot, or do a little, depending on how much you want to push yourself, or if you know today you just need a good relaxing stretch.

Cheers, h.

i would have been probably 36/37 that summer and was definitely one of the younger members in the class. by a long shot. lolol

like i said it was fun and i enjoyed it and did 2 classes a week, but didnt replace my regular workouts with them. and it gave my kids a chance to play at the pool at the same time, so win-win, there lol
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

Cheers, h.

@middlehaitch Perhaps you could talk to the instructor and ask if she could incorporate progressive variations that would be more challenging for you?
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I love it that our instructors pace the class to the fittest person there that day. Then they remind anyone else to modify any moves. My classes are easily some of my hardest workouts all week. Interval training has helped my running, hiking and lap swimming endurance in a way nothing else has. I hate it in the moment, but remind myself that it makes my other workouts easier. I feel lucky that I have access to great instructors ❤️