Any runners with scoliosis and/or flat feet??

Options
I'm planning to start running, and I'm just curious if there is anyone else out there with scoliosis and flat feet. And if you've had any issues with running because of either. My scoliosis was diagnosed when I was 13, and I had Harrington rods put in when I was 14. I have had only minor issues related to the scoliosis since then (I'm 29 now). At this point, pain related to having flat feet has also been minor, although I'm realizing that I should start taking care of my feet if I want it to stay that way. Thanks in advance for anyone sharing their experiences or advice! :)

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    might you have a chiropractor? they would know better - and/or help your spine readjust once beginning running.

I don't know about the flat feet part - but I do have a slight "S" curve in my back.

Best of luck - you are awesome!!
  • raychybabe
    raychybabe Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have fallen arches and extrenely tight calveswhich come from walking on my tiptoes for my entire childhood. I have inserts in my trainers so give my arches more stability and to stop my toes from rubbing when my foot rolls over. Seems to have helped but if I run for a long time, or I do a class where theres alot of lifting feet off floor and putting them back down again (combat for one) I get very red and sore balls of my feet and arches. Ive had to take my trainers off a couple times just so I can carry on without wincing in pain!
  • katharos3
    katharos3 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    ocds - I've never been to a chiropractor, but I'll look into it. I always assumed that they couldn't adjust my spine since it's fused to the rods. But maybe they have some advice? Thank you for the suggestion! :)

raychybabe - I walked on my toes too, and ended up with achilles pain for a couple years. I usually work out barefoot now, because it hurts too much with shoes on. I guess that's my biggest worry with trying to run... I have to wear shoes. :/
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i have scoloisis and have no related problems with running. As for my feet, i have very high arches which is opposite from you.

However, i suggest 1) talking with your back doctor and making sure HE is okay with you running...i dont have rods so this could be a difference. and 2) get fitted at a running shoe store for proper shoes. If you like barefoot, try the vibrams. I have these and traditional shoes and love them both. The vibrams will protect your feet from rocks but do not offer support. YOu run more on your toes which is the "proper" way to run.

message me with further questions and good luck!
  • LeslieMartina
    LeslieMartina Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have flat feet. i suggest you go to a a specialty running store to be properly fitted for shoes and possibly orthotics. Even if you don't but the shoes there, go get fitted so they can tell you what types of running shoes work for you. Shoes are VERY important in running.
  • katharos3
    katharos3 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thanks AggieCass09 and HealthyBlkGirl for your suggestions. I'm hoping I can get new shoes this weekend, and I'll definitely try a running store to get fitted. And I'll check into the vibrams too! Thanks! :)