How to track exercise correctly?

Options
Just signed up and am learning my way around. I take a class at the gym every Monday, Wednesday and Friday called THRIVE and it lasts an hour and we do all sorts of strength and cardio training (ropes, kettlebell, TRX, etc..) I wear my FitBit and it records anywhere from 1800 to 2000 steps, but how do I track the calories burned? I'm not sure what to call it. Thanks for your help!

Replies

• dolcezza25
    dolcezza25 Posts: 136 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I tend to log those things as weight training, strength training, or calisthenics (there is a low and high intensity option). It seems to work for me - even if it isn't precise.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    Circuit training would be another option for logging a class like that.

Pick a logging option, eat your MFP calorie goal, eat 50% or so of the exercise calories to start (if you're worried about overestimating exercise), monitor results for 4-6 weeks, and see where your average weight loss rate ends up.

If you feel weak or fatigued before 4-6 weeks is over, eat somewhat more to feel better, otherwise stick to your goal, even if the scale fluctuates up and down a few pounds (because fluctuating is what body weight does, especially in premenopausal women (in case you're one of those)).

Then, if you're losing too fast (like more than 1% of your bodyweight weekly on average), eat more. If you're losing more slowly than you'd like, eat less (but not so much you exceed the 1% rule of thumb, and maybe go slower than that if you have less than 25 or so pounds left to lose).
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you have an HR-based Fitbit model it should automatically pick up your exercise. If not log it in Fitbit and let MFP take care of the calorie adjustment.