I need some like minded MFP friends :) (with some back story)

rbfdac
rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
Hey guys! I’ve been on MFP for yearrrssss now, but in the last 390 days have lost 156 pounds by diet and exercise and a complete lifestyle overhaul. I’m done with weight loss and have been focused on fitness for the last 3/4 months.

I trained to RUN a 5k this summer and can now complete it in 34:35. A year ago I could run 1 minute! I have increased my strength and gained a lot of muscle as well.

All of this sounds very braggy, but I wanted you to know where I came from and what I’m looking for. I need some more like minded MFP friends. My current MFP friends are amazing and supportive but I feel that most of us are at very different points in our journeys and I think they are sick of hearing about my running accomplishments and seeing pictures of my back and biceps! Lol.

Anyway, I plan to continue to endurance training and hope to maybe run for an hour straight at some point and maybe one day participate in a half marathon but that’s a long way away! Im also continuing to work on my strength and fitness.

If you are interested in running or strength training or both and wouldn’t mind sharing stories, support, and advice, please add me! I would love to be your new friend!

Replies

• amsuraj
    amsuraj Posts: 43 Member
    Awesome and inspirational... I was a smoker for 20+ years, quit smoking and about a year later started exercising... I feel great, but still too heavy but feel fit and strong. My goal in next three months is to lose about 15 pounds and get to 170 run that half below 10 min pace.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Hey we have similar goals. Every spring I decide I'll be a runner to enjoy the outdoors. Last year the goal was a sub 30 minute 5k. Then I hurt my foot. This year I was thinking why do I want to do that. It's better to run for longer so my goal is to make it to an hour. Lately I haven't been running. But I plan to soon.

Hope you keep up the good work. As much as I hate running it feels so good once it's done
  • auzziecawth
    auzziecawth Posts: 244 Member
    While I’m not a runner (my knees can’t handle it) and I’m not where I want to be yet body wise (it’s always been a painfully slow process for me) I do love lifting and anyone who can share their journey or any tips for that would be a great asset on my friend list. I’ll let you decide if you want to add me or not or if I’ll just be another person not in the right place for ya lol.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    rbfdac wrote: »
    Anyway, I plan to continue to endurance training and hope to maybe run for an hour straight at some point and maybe one day participate in a half marathon but that’s a long way away! Im also continuing to work on my strength and fitness.

If you are interested in running or strength training or both and wouldn’t mind sharing stories, support, and advice, please add me! I would love to be your new friend!

First of all, congrats on a significant transformation! Well done.

I'm an "over the hill" endurance junkie, mostly focused on triathlons these days. I am fairly geeky about capturing training data from my garmin devices and analyzing results with the help of my coach.

With that said, I've been running for quite awhile and have a bunch of running friends on MFP. I would be glad to chat about running and/or offer suggestions as you ramp up your run training, so feel free to add me if you'd like.

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I'm a fair weather runner. I taught myself to run using couch25k. Right now, it's too hot for me to run, so I've been walking and swimming. I also do lots of workout videos at home. I usually also lift weights, but between gym closings and my summer travels, that's been on hold. I still do some videos with dumbbells (like the firm or Jillian). I'll hopefully get back to "real" lifting within the next week or two.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Running not my thing but definitely strength training. Add me if you wish.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    I'm a fair weather runner. I taught myself to run using couch25k. Right now, it's too hot for me to run, so I've been walking and swimming. I also do lots of workout videos at home. I usually also lift weights, but between gym closings and my summer travels, that's been on hold. I still do some videos with dumbbells (like the firm or Jillian). I'll hopefully get back to "real" lifting within the next week or two.

This is totally me. I haven't been running cause it's too hot. I will when it's cooler again. It's an activity to be done outdoors but I'm not crazy
  • Elizabeth32413
    Elizabeth32413 Posts: 9 Member
    I really enjoy running, but 4me I’m not happy unless it’s hot and humid, lol. My husband tells me I’m crazy😜
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    I run and lift. Well I try but I am not particularly great at either. I'm always open to new friends.