Training for 2nd Marathon - Advice?

Options
Hi all! My name is Heather. I am training for my second Marathon. I ran a marathon April 2017, but then fell completely out of running and exercising. Went from 130 to 151! I started running again the first of September and am slowly losing the extra weight (down to 143.6 now!)
My pace is slower than I use to be; before I could do around 10 minute miles. Now I'm at 12:30+.
I'm worried about not being able to pick up the pace enough to finish the marathon in November before the course closes (6 hr limit).

Advice on what I could do?

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Yes, give yourself more time...

Rushing back into running is a good way to get injured.

When did you start running again? September 1st of 'last year'??? Or did you mean August 1st?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you can run 12:30 pace for the marathon, you'll finish in under six hours (5 hours, 25 minutes). Can you maintain that pace for a long run or is that represent going all out and you'll be slower for longer runs?

Are you using an actual training plan?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    It's summer, so probably hot and maybe humid. The paces you are running now are not the paces you will be running when it cools off again. (I am running 30-45 seconds per mile slower than normal ATM.) Also it takes time to build your strength and fitness after a long break. Don't worry about it. It will come back if you are consistent in your training. Keep working at building your mileage. I assume you've started a training plan, since the race is in 12 or so weeks?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    To complete 26.2 miles in 6 hrs requires a speed up just under 4.4mph (23.6 min / mile) so speed isn't really an issue.

How frequently and how many miles per week are you running now? You may be cutting it awfully close if you're not already hitting 20 to 25 miles per week as you're only around 12 weeks out.

I'll second the question....are you following a plan?

• RunShenRun
    RunShenRun Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

When did you start running again? September 1st of 'last year'??? Or did you mean August 1st?

Oh geez, that's what I get for trying to use my phone! I meant JULY 1, 2018!! Lol
  • RunShenRun
    Options
    If you can run 12:30 pace for the marathon, you'll finish in under six hours (5 hours, 25 minutes). Can you maintain that pace for a long run or is that represent going all out and you'll be slower for longer runs?

Are you using an actual training plan?
    Yes, I started an actual training plan on July 1, 2018. If I run 3-4 miles my pace is 12:30-ish. Beyond that and it increases to 13:40+. So far my long run was only up to 7 miles and it took me a bit over an hour and a half
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    RunShenRun wrote: »

Oh geez, that's what I get for trying to use my phone! I meant JULY 1, 2018!! Lol

I personally would be worried about trying to do a marathon after just four or five months of running. Your risk of injury is going to be much higher than if you choose a marathon further in the future (like, say, November 2019) and focus on safely increasing your mileage to get ready to begin a training plan next summer.

Even if you don't get injured, I just think you'll have much more fun delaying your marathon. Marathons are challenging even when you start with a solid base of weekly miles. You presumably don't want to just survive this, you want it to be a positive experience.
  • RunShenRun
    Options
    It's summer, so probably hot and maybe humid. The paces you are running now are not the paces you will be running when it cools off again. (I am running 30-45 seconds per mile slower than normal ATM.) Also it takes time to build your strength and fitness after a long break. Don't worry about it. It will come back if you are consistent in your training. Keep working at building your mileage. I assume you've started a training plan, since the race is in 12 or so weeks?

Yes I have! Started running again using the plan on July 1. My original post had the wrong month lol!
    Marathon is early November, and the plan takes me right up to race day. So far on week 6 my long run was 7 miles. This Saturday is goes up to 8 miles. Then it has me running 3-5 miles during the week.
  • RunShenRun
    Options
    To complete 26.2 miles in 6 hrs requires a speed up just under 4.4mph (23.6 min / mile) so speed isn't really an issue.

How frequently and how many miles per week are you running now? You may be cutting it awfully close if you're not already hitting 20 to 25 miles per week as you're only around 12 weeks out.

Definitely following a plan! My original post missed that and gave the wrong month. I started the plan July 1, 2018.
    Currently running 20 miles a week. My "staple" runs are at 3-4-5 miles. Long run is 8 this weekend. It is taking me right up to race day, with tamper time in the mix too.

I am not having big problems going the distance, I just can't seem to pick up the pace yet! If I only run 1-2 miles I can Doo 11 minutes. Over that, and it's at least 12:30-ish range
  • dewd2
    Options

Definitely following a plan! My original post missed that and gave the wrong month. I started the plan July 1, 2018.
    Currently running 20 miles a week. My "staple" runs are at 3-4-5 miles. Long run is 8 this weekend. It is taking me right up to race day, with tamper time in the mix too.

I am not having big problems going the distance, I just can't seem to pick up the pace yet! If I only run 1-2 miles I can Doo 11 minutes. Over that, and it's at least 12:30-ish range

If you slow down after a few miles that means you ran the first miles too fast. The goal is to negative spit (run the 2nd half faster than the first). While not easy to do (I'll let you know when I manage it ;) ) it is worthwhile trying. Also, if you 2 mile pace is 11 minutes your marathon pace will be much slower. The difference between my 5K pace and my marathon pace is over a minute per mile. And my long run training paces are generally a minute slower than that.
  • RunShenRun
    Options

If you slow down after a few miles that means you ran the first miles too fast. The goal is to negative spit (run the 2nd half faster than the first). While not easy to do (I'll let you know when I manage it ;) ) it is worthwhile trying. Also, if you 2 mile pace is 11 minutes your marathon pace will be much slower. The difference between my 5K pace and my marathon pace is over a minute per mile. And my long run training paces are generally a minute slower than that.

I've always been awful at "running well" or having any real method or techniques. I appreciate this info!! I use to just run, and of I felt tired, I'd slow down but keep going. I'll try to start out reserved and see if I can increase rather than decrease

• dewd2
    Options

I've always been awful at "running well" or having any real method or techniques. I appreciate this info!! I use to just run, and of I felt tired, I'd slow down but keep going. I'll try to start out reserved and see if I can increase rather than decrease

I should mention that negative splits are for races. For training I'd advice starting slower and staying slower until you can run 20 miles. At this point trying to go faster may make you slower in the end (plus the risk of injury is higher).

Good luck.
  • RunShenRun
    Options

I should mention that negative splits are for races. For training I'd advice starting slower and staying slower until you can run 20 miles. At this point trying to go faster may make you slower in the end (plus the risk of injury is higher).

Good luck.

Thank you! Do you think I should try to stick to a certain slower pace (like 12:30 even) or let it be whatever it is(like how it will dip to 13:40+ sometimes). Like I said, I've never been a "good runner" at actually monitoring pace, etc.
  • RunShenRun
    Options

I personally would be worried about trying to do a marathon after just four or five months of running. Your risk of injury is going to be much higher than if you choose a marathon further in the future (like, say, November 2019) and focus on safely increasing your mileage to get ready to begin a training plan next summer.

Even if you don't get injured, I just think you'll have much more fun delaying your marathon. Marathons are challenging even when you start with a solid base of weekly miles. You presumably don't want to just survive this, you want it to be a positive experience.

That is a good point. My last one was certainly challenging, but I felt undertrained. Probably part of why I fell out of running, too. I was hoping that actually following the plan I found this time would be better. I'm just not seeing improvement yet on pacing, so I think I'll take it a week at a time. Just enjoy getting back into running. And decide a bit closer to the marathon if I feel "ready" for it, or if waiting for a later race would be better.
  • dewd2
    Options
    Start at 12:30 and see where it takes you. The goal is to finish at this point. Getting (significantly) faster requires higher mileage and possibly speed work. These are things you can do after you've been back into running for a year or so.