Vacation eating.

I confess I did not journal while on vacation, didn't even diet. The good news is I didn't go crazy and picked up where I left off as soon as I got home. I consider that a success.

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited August 2018
    I've never tracked on vacation. I agree that not eating everything in sight helps. Make better choices and move more. I've actually either lost or maintained weight on my last 4 vacations (once the flight water weight came off).

Great job!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    I have to keep it a life habit even on vacation.....heard way too many times vacations is when people derail and it's hard to jump back on when you have worked so hard.
    I have come back from a few vacations and lost weight while not depriving myself. Just chose not to eat and drink to excess.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    What I did do to excess is water with a lot of lemon.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    That is definitely a success! I eat what I want on vacation, but log it as best I can.
  • snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    I recently returned from an 8 day vacation. Ate what I wanted but I logged it all (and I ate a lot of crap...ice cream, french fries, fried seafood.) I went over calories each day but I also did plenty of walking. As soon as I got home, went back to healthly eating and my regular running routine. My weight has held steady.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    I never log when on vaca and eat what I want. We go to WDW every year where the food is outstanding. I WAY overeat and usually come back carrying a lot of water weight (and usually sick of eating). Sometimes it's a struggle to get back to watching my intake, but I usually feel bad enough for overeating I'm ready to get back at it.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    I had a rough stretch. In the last 2 & 1/2 weeks, I had vacation, my 50th birthday & then my wife's grandmother died. I put on over 10 pounds from vacation, but I burned that off in 4 days. I'm only up 5 pounds, but hopefully things will go back to normal & I can lose 10 pounds to get to my goal of 175 before the first Cornhusker tailgate on September 1st. #GBR
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    I always log as best I can on vacation, but don't worry too much about what I eat - having said that, I won't eat something for the sake of it, it has to be delicious to be worth the calories! So I came back 5lb heavier, but three has gone already buy cutting back calories and really making an effort with exercise (except when it has been too hot!). I'm going to take a couple of extra lb off to give me some slack for the colder weather ;)
  • sbrooks0387
    sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
    We did a family vacation this spring. I didn't track at all, ate ice cream every night, and maintained. I feel that you kinda "know" what you should and should eat. I would make breakfast (eggs for me) every morning. Eat a sandwich and yogurt for lunch. what ever we had planned for dinner. and before we left i had prepackaged snacks, so instead of a whole bag of crackers i could grab a single serving baggie for snack. we also had plenty of fruit.

plus it's vacation. lots and lots of walking/sight seeing.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    kgb6days wrote: »
    I never log when on vaca and eat what I want. We go to WDW every year where the food is outstanding. I WAY overeat and usually come back carrying a lot of water weight (and usually sick of eating). Sometimes it's a struggle to get back to watching my intake, but I usually feel bad enough for overeating I'm ready to get back at it.

So, I got back from WDW 2 weeks ago. I was there for 7 days. You aren't kidding about the food. I ate a lot. I was already at my higher end weight when I went, but I managed to put on another 5 lbs despite being on my feet all day and logging 8-10 (slow) miles. It's been 2 weeks and I cannot shake this 5 lbs. I was hoping it was water but I figured that would be over by now. No, it's here to stay. Been to WDW many times and never had it "stick" like this, but I'm now 54. Hell, last time I went I *lost* 5 lbs. Oh well, I'm now trying to cut back because anything I have with an elastic waist (pantyhose, exercise shorts, etc) are killing me. Those 5 lbs really pushed me over the top.
  • BigRed2525
    BigRed2525 Posts: 45 Member
    Picking back up is so hard. That is a huge success. 👏🏻
  • vinster345
    vinster345 Posts: 30 Member
    That's a success in my mind. I don't log on vacation, although I try and use the gym if I'm staying at a hotel.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    I'm a bit looser with my weight loss efforts on vacation too, but it all evens out, get right back on track when I get home. No biggie.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I wouldn't on a vacation either. For one, I just want to enjoy myself and be carefree, and for two, I think it would be too much of a PITA with all of the different foods and restaurants etc.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I never logged on vacation. I usually end up losing a little weight on vacations. I'm pretty active and out and about seeing what there is to see and swimming and surfing and kayaking, etc. I'm much less active when I'm at home, even with deliberate exercise as I have a desk job. I also eat three meals per day on vacation and don't really do much snacking...at home, I have a big walk in pantry that is always calling my name...don't have that on vacation.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!