Vegetarians!

Options
fteale
fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
What is your best non-meat protein source?

I am not a mad protein obsessive, but I am consistently under (though a lot higher than I was), and aside from greek yoghurt need something to give me an extra 10g a day ish. I don't like shakes. I only eat real food.

Replies

• dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Beans, beans, and more beans!
  • fairygirl716
    Options
    black beans, Veggie products like Morningstar, nuts
  • outtanms
    outtanms Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    beans for sure.....
  • skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt. Uhhhhh I also may or may not have a slight peanut butter problem...
  • lilybug13
    lilybug13 Posts: 154
    Options
    quinoa!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Are you in a place where you can get hold of quorn? Don't overeat it, but it's yummier than most soya based vege protein.

I eat cashew nuts (the unsalted raw ones - toast them yourself and toss them in a salad, lovely!), I do eat egg occasionally as it's such a good source of protein, and like the others, lots of beans. It's easy to do interesting things with lentils - dahl is lovely, and you can just chuck a handful in with soups and stews.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    dark, leafy greens!
  • johnhowson
    johnhowson Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Fresh Tofu, nuts, beans are the obvious ones if you don't eat eggs
  • Birmangirl2010
    Options
    Agree with beans; and, as I'm in the UK, Quorn - great for stirfrys and as a bacon or chicken substitute. I love the Quorn fillet with mozzarella and pesto :)

Amanda
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Ok, I should buy more quorn. I get it for the children, but rarely eat it myself. I don't have tofu much unless we are out, as it's a hassle to cook well, but I really should do that too. I tend to have greek yoghurt and cheese, but cheese puts my fat levels too high. I have some quinoa in the cupboard but haven't ever used it. Any god recipes?
  • MartiTennisMom
    Options
    Dairy! Therein lies my weight issue. I am a cheese addict.
  • leyna6388
    Options
    cottage cheese is a great source of protein! I like mine with a bit of fresh fruit or some agave nectar. :) also protein powders can help if you are looking for a quick fix.
  • lilybug13
    lilybug13 Posts: 154
    Options
    Ok, I should buy more quorn. I get it for the children, but rarely eat it myself. I don't have tofu much unless we are out, as it's a hassle to cook well, but I really should do that too. I tend to have greek yoghurt and cheese, but cheese puts my fat levels too high. I have some quinoa in the cupboard but haven't ever used it. Any god recipes?

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/10896?utm_source=GlutenFree&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=GlutenFree