Exercising, tracking - still gaining weight?

Options
Hi there,

Firstly, apologies for a subject matter that is probably SO over-talked about in here; though this post might be slightly different than the usual.

I've been tracking what I eat and exercising daily (usually a 20 min run / over an hour's walk, plus 10-15 mins strength training in the morning) - usually I eat between 1,400 - 1,600 cal per day, which was what was recommended for slow weight loss. Sometimes more to 'eat back' the calories burnt, but never going over the recommended total, apart from very rare blow-outs!

However, in the last three months I've gained nearly half a stone. To be honest, I'm not sure whether to be concerned or not - it seems strange to gain so much when I've been eating sensibly (loads of veg, protein, healthy fat, not much carbohydrate) and exercising.

I tried to step away from the scales and not get obsessive, and just took a few measurements to see if there were any major changes. There doesn't seem to be, but I 'feel' bigger, and my jeans seem to be fitting me differently, tighter in places.

I'd love to hear if anyone else has experienced similar at all. I'm 36 and worried this might be a hormonal thing (in combination with the hot flushes, insomnia, headaches, low moods etc. that docs insist isn't pre-menopausal...hmm!). I'm presuming half a stone muscle gain simply isn't an option, given the level of exercise I'm doing!

Many thanks.

Replies

• GrowlingLucifer58
    GrowlingLucifer58 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've been using the app on my phone and logged into a different account - annoyingly I've forgotten the login for the new one - this old one was the only one I could remember! I'm certainly not overweight - I'm 5ft 6 and 127lb (about 120-122 in June!); my main reason for concern was the fairly speedy weight gain for no obvious reason. If it's healthy, normal weight gain I can take it on the chin... but anything else is a bit concerning!

I use a food scale for things like rice and pasta which I suck at estimating; veg, not so much, as the calorie intake tends to be minimal. As for calories, it varies depending on what I've done in the day. I don't tend to enter my strength training in the morning as it's only 10-15 mins and I'm not breaking a sweat.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    without being able to see your diary and if you are logging correctly, all any of us can say is ' you are likely eating more than you think you are'
  • GrowlingLucifer58
    Options
    It was more the fairly rapid weight gain than anything else. Call it confusion and slight concern rather than unhappiness with body composition! It just seemed bizarre to be eating sensibly and exercising while putting on weight at a fairly steep incline. I suppose what I was trying to find out is if it was a hormonal / age thing - or if it was something to do with the exercise etc. If not 'normal' then wanted to find out if it was something to be concerned about. As mentioned before, I'm aware I'm not overweight and I'm not concerned about the number on the scale - more the fact it's going up so regularly :D As for weighing food, I've been doing cooked - is that right?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I suggest using a food scale for everything. What about condiments and cooking oil? Drinks with calories, sugar or milk in coffee and tea? Prepackaged food is often a lot heavier than the weight on the package. I often find pizzas at Aldi UK to be off by nearly 20%. If one pizza has 750kcal, then it reality it has about 150kcal more.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If you're super concerned and want to lose the 7lbs, then just use the food scale for everything for a while to make sure you're measuring and logging your intake correctly. It's not a mystery--you're eating more than you think.
  • heatherjohnson1980
    Options
    If you're confident that you're logging correctly, then maybe it IS something else. I had the exact same problem. However...I had undiagnosed hypothyroidism. After getting on medicine, I've been able to finally lose weight. I think it's unlikely that it's your problem but you can get tested pretty easily to be sure. Taking a daily pill for hypothyroidism was no magic cure. I still had to work my *kitten* off to lose the weight I'd gained and work hard to keep it off. My hair doesn't grow well anymore. I'm stuck taking a pill for the rest of my life. It sucks.

I really hope it's more of a simple problem. Try doubling down on your efforts to log every. little. thing.

Good luck!! You got this!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,931 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Hi there,

Firstly, apologies for a subject matter that is probably SO over-talked about in here; though this post might be slightly different than the usual.

I've been tracking what I eat and exercising daily (usually a 20 min run / over an hour's walk, plus 10-15 mins strength training in the morning) - usually I eat between 1,400 - 1,600 cal per day, which was what was recommended for slow weight loss. Sometimes more to 'eat back' the calories burnt, but never going over the recommended total, apart from very rare blow-outs!

However, in the last three months I've gained nearly half a stone. To be honest, I'm not sure whether to be concerned or not - it seems strange to gain so much when I've been eating sensibly (loads of veg, protein, healthy fat, not much carbohydrate) and exercising.

I tried to step away from the scales and not get obsessive, and just took a few measurements to see if there were any major changes. There doesn't seem to be, but I 'feel' bigger, and my jeans seem to be fitting me differently, tighter in places.

I'd love to hear if anyone else has experienced similar at all. I'm 36 and worried this might be a hormonal thing (in combination with the hot flushes, insomnia, headaches, low moods etc. that docs insist isn't pre-menopausal...hmm!). I'm presuming half a stone muscle gain simply isn't an option, given the level of exercise I'm doing!

Many thanks.

While you certainly could be pre-menopausal early (what did your doctor do to rule this out?) that's not going to cause weight gain. Women gain weight around menopause because they are less active but eating the same or some combination of CI > CO.

Several times in my life doctors have told me symptoms were age related and it turned out to have absolutely nothing to do with my age. Once it was because my office building had toxic mold. I got another doctor and another job.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    You are at the lower end of the healthy BMI at 127. At 120, you would be considered on the verge of underweight. BMI isn't the everything but it is a reasonable data point. Why do you want to lose weight?
  • GrowlingLucifer58
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the insightful replies. I will readdress my calorie counting, but I'm struggling to see where it could be inaccurate; most veg I consume is green and / or leafy; I don't often have things like avocado or sweet potato. However, I'll be a bit more vigilant for a while, see if it stops the rapid gain. mmapags - its not so much a case of wanting to lose weight, more trying to figure out why I've suddenly started putting it on. 127lb is fine with me, but I don't much fancy the idea of the trend continuing for years, as I'd be quite a bit heavier in not too much time at all.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the insightful replies. I will readdress my calorie counting, but I'm struggling to see where it could be inaccurate; most veg I consume is green and / or leafy; I don't often have things like avocado or sweet potato. However, I'll be a bit more vigilant for a while, see if it stops the rapid gain. mmapags - its not so much a case of wanting to lose weight, more trying to figure out why I've suddenly started putting it on. 127lb is fine with me, but I don't much fancy the idea of the trend continuing for years, as I'd be quite a bit heavier in not too much time at all.

Gotcha. That makes sense.
  • luciroo
    luciroo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I can gain 5 lbs overnight (water weight) from overindulgence in salty or alcoholic beverages. After a day or two it goes down. If you don’t weigh regularly you may have not gained 7 lbs. I know some people don’t weigh daily but I do so I know while some days I may be up a pound or 5 on the scale that its just a normal fluctuation (fluid, need a good bowel movement, inflammation from heavy lifting).