Just starting out

Options
Ok so I’m going to start to workout this weekend now that I have a partner. I way 293 I promised myself I would never get to 300 and I’m about there with high BP sometimes reading 189/104 so I’m on BP meds now and I have that under control but I’m worried I can’t do it. Any advice ?

Replies

• catfish3519
    catfish3519 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Excuse the spelling please
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, you have to eat less than you burn. You burn calories 24/7, so you can lose weight in a coma. And you're not in a coma.
    If you want to get moving, get moving, it doesn't have to be designated "exercise".
    Don't rely on partners to work out.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i used to weigh the same as you. i am half that now. it took roughly 2 years. for the past 2 years, ive been maintaining, and now am working on the last bit of weight.

i did it by myself, with only myself for motivation. no one else can motivate you.

weigh your food,start exercising. the more you do it, the easier it will get, i promise! when i started i could BARELY do 10 minutes on the elliptical. BARELY. now, i can do an hour and a half of cardio wihout much thought. but it took time. dedication. patience.

dont do it FOR anyone and dont rely on them to motivate you. you are doing this for YOU.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the journey. You can do it see the above post for motivation. Good luck.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Ok so I’m going to start to workout this weekend now that I have a partner. I way 293 I promised myself I would never get to 300 and I’m about there with high BP sometimes reading 189/104 so I’m on BP meds now and I have that under control but I’m worried I can’t do it. Any advice ?

Focus on what you eat more than how much you move (exercise). Just starting out it is highly unlikely you will lose any weight with just exercise. Burning more than you eat only works for serious athletes, people with hours and hours to exercise, or people with very demanding physical jobs. The rest of us have to eat less than we burn.

Enter your information into MFP and select a weight loss goal. Some people find it easier to start with a less aggressive weekly loss goal and work up to more over a few weeks. You can safely lose 2lbs per week when you are ready.

Start logging and read this thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I am very proud of you for dealing with your situation. You can do this.

Be sure to find exercise that you enjoy. If you hate it then it's harder to stick to. You can mix it up as often as you need to to keep it fun. When I started out I went to Zumba. But now I really hate it and have found something else.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

Focus on what you eat more than how much you move (exercise). Just starting out it is highly unlikely you will lose any weight with just exercise. Burning more than you eat only works for serious athletes, people with hours and hours to exercise, or people with very demanding physical jobs. The rest of us have to eat less than we burn.

Enter your information into MFP and select a weight loss goal. Some people find it easier to start with a less aggressive weekly loss goal and work up to more over a few weeks. You can safely lose 2lbs per week when you are ready.

Start logging and read this thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

^So much this.

We see countless new ones here that feel like they need to jump into a workout routine to lose weight, while giving little attention to the most important part- a modest, sustainable reduction in calories. In particular, a person who is very obese to start is much better served by focusing on calories as opposed to vigorous exercise. Being alert to opportunities to move more, like parking farther away or taking the stairs, sure.

I was 275 when I started my weight loss. Though only in my 40s, I was suffering from joint problems & other issues that prevented me from doing much more than a short walk. I simply chose a weekly weight loss goal of 1.5 lbs/week and focused on staying within that calorie goal. After about 20 lbs, my joints were already feeling better and I started walking more & added a recumbent stationary bike. Later, I started low-impact aerobics. But even after I was able to add more purposeful exercise, it was still the consistent calorie deficit that did the bulk of the work. :)