Coffee

Options
Good morning MFPer's!

So I have a love/hate relationship with coffee. I have stopped drinking it mostly and only have a cup every now and then. My question is, can coffee cause a stall in weight loss? It seems to me that when I do drink it, I don't lose any weight.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Black coffee is virtually calorie-free (I think it's around 5 calories for 8 ounces). It's not going to prevent weight loss.

What do you mean it "seems" like you don't lose weight when you drink it?
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess it depends on what you put in your coffee. If you drink it black, I would say no, but those creamers and sugars have a lot of calories! Perhaps you can learn to drink it black? Try eliminating either the creamer or the sugar, get used to that, and then work your way to black. No calories. One thing I have found useful, is iced coffee with some flavored sugar free syrup (no calories)put in the blender with ice. I cannot imagine life without coffee - I'd be stumbling around all day.
  • witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I’m not about to give up coffee. 😎 I count the calories for the coffee and weigh the creamer I put in by MLs. Like @Pardyqueenxoxo I find that it suppressed my appetite.
  • stephj1216
    stephj1216 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It just might be the stuff I put in it. I try to use 0 calorie sweetener but I also put just a hint of creamer in it as well so I'm not sure on the calories in it. It does help suppress my appetite so I try to drink it. I've also found the MIO energy drops helps too and adds to my water intake as well so I go back and forth between them. I'll have to look into some sugar free syrups.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    stephj1216 wrote: »
    It just might be the stuff I put in it. I try to use 0 calorie sweetener but I also put just a hint of creamer in it as well so I'm not sure on the calories in it. It does help suppress my appetite so I try to drink it. I've also found the MIO energy drops helps too and adds to my water intake as well so I go back and forth between them. I'll have to look into some sugar free syrups.

I would start logging your creamer -- "hint" is a subjective term, but lower calorie items can still add up if you're not logging them accurately.
  • witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    Options

I would start logging your creamer -- "hint" is a subjective term, but lower calorie items can still add up if you're not logging them accurately.

Agree with this. Anecdotally, when I was eyeballing my creamer, I was putting in 2 to 3 times more than I thought. Since I started weighing it I still use the same amount, but I’m accounting for the calories accurately. It ends up around 50 calories for 2 cups of coffee with creamer, which is totally worth it to me.
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    The only thing stalling weightloss is the amount of calories consumed. If you have a highly caloric coffee drink, than yes it makes sense. If it's 1 cup of black coffee, than I would think it's something else. Make sure you log everything, accurately, and it should not impact your weight loss journey
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I don't log the black coffee that I drink, but I'll log any half and half that I add to it, which is not often. I think a TB of half and half has about 35 calories? It's not a ton and would take a while to affect your loss/gain numbers over time.

Not losing weight or stalling out probably has more to do with your overall calorie intake than any one specific food or drink.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Are you logging your food and beverage intake on MFP? Coffee, regardless of what you put in it, doesn't prevent you from losing weight in and over itself. A calorie surplus prevents you from losing weight. Accurately tracking your intake of all food and beverages (ideally using a food scale) will help you determine if there is something that you need to cut back on, and your own personal preferences for food types and how filling they are may influence that as well.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    I find it supresses my appetite and it increases heart rate so it seems to help when i diet

I second this. One cup after each meal. Except at night. lol
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Coffee has basically no calories, so no. I agree you should measure how much creamer you're putting in, could be high in calories.
  • curwhibbles
    curwhibbles Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Creamer killed my weight loss.

I now use 1/2 c unsweetened vanilla cashew milk with sweetener. Only 13 additional calories.

Coconut creamer is low in cal...but it’s super thin.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you can take my creamer over my cold dead body.

i very happily log it every day. its worth every calorie. mine is actually over logged (i only use 2 oz compared to the 4 i log) but it buffers if i have some in the afternoon so i dont have to log it.

and if i stopped drinking coffee id be in prison for killing everyone around me. that would be bad.

and ive lost 100+ pounds so no, having coffee and even creamer, isnt going to hurt weight loss, assuming you log it.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,838 Member
    Options
    I lost my weight drinking 2-4 cups of black coffee every day. :)
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Not losing weight or stalling out probably has more to do with your overall calorie intake than any one specific food or drink.

^QFT.