Calisthenics

Options
I’m looking to put on 10 lbs of muscle in the next 6 months. I want do this with calisthenics. Any advice?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Think gymnastics with tons of reps to keep progressing and pushing the body to feel the need to make more muscle.
    Rings, bars, jumps, ect.

Not as optimal as actual lifting with lower reps and increasing weight, so your rate will likely be no where near as fast as desired.
  • avadahm
    avadahm Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Do you have a specific program? If not, I might suggest following one for optimal results. Eat, train properly and good luck!
  • BenjaminEtheridge
    BenjaminEtheridge Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    @heybales was thinking it may be more of a slower process. But I’m okay with that. Weight lifting doesnt really inspire me too much so I wanted to try something different.

@avadahm no specific program. Just wanted to start with the basics and build from there haha thank you!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    As a dude maybe. I've put on about 10lbs over two years as a female not really trying by doing primarily calisthenics. I still do heavy compound lifts for my lower body however. I do recommend you find a good calisthenics program to work through. You really want to make sure you build up your tendon strength before progressing onto more difficult maneuvers.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    You can make results with body weight exercises focusing on strength like pistols, pushups, pullups etc. You are not going to get muscle gain results from more cardio like moves jumping jacks. You Are Your Own Gym and Naked Warrior are the two books I would recommend. However, you are going to get faster results under a barbell.

• born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Another recommendation for body weight training: Convict Conditioning by Paul Wade. It's a great program if you can stick to it.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Look up Tapp Brothers on YouTube