Easy "Protein" Bagels :)

124»

Replies

• melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    I finally made these! They are good, quick and easy and they have great macros, but I agree they taste more biscuit-like. When these are gone I will experiment with adding yeast to improve the texture and taste. I will report back when I do.qk9j7xyxpr06.jpeg

I have heard some people are reducing the yogurt by quarter of a cup and adding an egg and they like it better. I have not tried that myself yet.
  • strongerbytheday
    strongerbytheday Posts: 116 Member
    I really don’t want to reduce the yogurt, because I like the protein that the yogurt imparts. I’m thinking that I can just mix up a small amount of yeast into a small amount of warm water, and strain the yogurt slightly to have less moisture, to compensate for the water. That way I end up with the same consistency in the dough. I would skip the baking powder, which I believe gives this it’s biscuit-like texture. I realize that these changes will make this recipe more time consuming, and it will no longer be so quick and easy. I love to cook and bake though, so it’s like fun, food science for me! Yeast doughs are mostly hands off when using a kitchen aid mixer, most of the time is just waiting for the dough to rise. I’ll let you know what I come up with and the results.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    I wonder how these would be substituting half or all of the flour with quest baking flour??
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    I really don’t want to reduce the yogurt, because I like the protein that the yogurt imparts. I’m thinking that I can just mix up a small amount of yeast into a small amount of warm water, and strain the yogurt slightly to have less moisture, to compensate for the water. That way I end up with the same consistency in the dough. I would skip the baking powder, which I believe gives this it’s biscuit-like texture. I realize that these changes will make this recipe more time consuming, and it will no longer be so quick and easy. I love to cook and bake though, so it’s like fun, food science for me! Yeast doughs are mostly hands off when using a kitchen aid mixer, most of the time is just waiting for the dough to rise. I’ll let you know what I come up with and the results.

Reducing the yogurt and adding an egg won’t really affect the protein count, an egg is protein. Also, the wetness of most yogurts is why fage works best with this, it’s the driest Greek yogurt, triple strained. You could also just strain your yogurt more in a strainer with cheesecloth overnight. I make them all the time and have no issues.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    I thought you were suppose to boil bagels before baking.