Don't really use the stove...

Options
dark_sparkles37019
dark_sparkles37019 Posts: 114 Member
edited August 2018 in Food and Nutrition
Any ideas of foods that use the microwave to cook? I don't really go for soup.Or what are some things to eat that don't include cooking...

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Do you not have a stove, or just not want to cook? Cause I really don't see avoiding cooking altogether to be a smart long-term solution. You don't need to be a 5 Michelin star chef, but knowing some simple basics will take you really far. Youtube and Pinterest have tons of really easy tutorials and recipes. Also invest in a slow cooker if you don't already have one. Meal game-changer.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Salads don't require cooking, generally. Fish is good microwaved, but I wouldn't use it to "cook"anything else.
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a stove, I’d recommend a freezer meals program - you only have to actually cook 1-2x per month, then you can use the microwave to thaw and reheat or at most chop some fresh veggies to add to your main dish most of the time.

I agree with the earlier slow cooker recommendation too - if you can cut up ingredients, you can make delicious slow cooker meals (bonus? Lots of leftovers)
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    I'm the first to admit I love to cook - I see it as such a creative outlet. Once you master a few basic techniques, you can cook anything. The only thing I use the microwave for is steaming veggies. Perhaps a Instapot would be a good idea for you. It functions as a pressure cooking, rice cooker, steamer and crock pot. They come in all different sizes too. If you can cut up food and press buttons you can make food.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    You can buy pre-cooked frozen chicken breasts and burger patties, veggie burgers, almost any vegetable can be microwaved, as well as frozen dinners. I also really like salads. You can use deli meat, cottage cheese, beans, string cheese, etc for your protein. Fresh fruit needs no cooking! Lots of veggies can be eaten raw...with or without dip/hummus.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I make almost everything in the microwave

baked potato (cook 8 minutes, poked with holes), topped with spinach, chopped tomato and cottage cheese
    instant rice (cook per the box), mixed with coleslaw blend veggies, deli roast beef, salsa and cheese
    3 eggs (microwave for 4 minutes), mixed with red pepper, onion and spinach, served with toast and avocado
    frozen veggie burger (microwave 2 minutes) put on a hamburger bun, lettuce, tomato, pickle and mustard
    precooked grilled chicken (Tyson brand), wrapped in a tortilla with lettuce, red pepper, red onion and feta
    English muffins topped with pizza sauce and cheese, served with a green salad with chicken
    1/2 a ramen packet, microwave in chicken broth with added chopped carrot and celery, add precooked grilled chicken
    spaghetti noodle, ravioli, tortellini, penne etc etc put in a topperware and covered with water. microwave for 6 minutes or until the noodles are tender. pour out the water and top with pasta sauce and microwaved frozen meatballs.
    precooked hamburger- microwaved and then broken apart into crumbled pieces. assemble into small tortillas and top with lettuce, salsa, onion and guacamole
    microwavable bacon- cooked until crispy, put onto 2 pieces of bread with lettuce and tomato
    microwavable garlic bread and canned chili with spinach and green pepper stirred in
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I regularly microwave stuff like
    - eggs
    - eggplant rolled in bacon with cheese
    - other stuff rolled in bacon
    - ramen
    - chicken breast (well pounded and marinated)
    - chicken wings (sliced in the middle and marinated overnight)
    - fish
    - green leafy vegetables (cool, wring dry and season. add some nuts)
    - mushrooms
    - baked potato, sweet potato etc.
    - oatmeal

Be creative, read up, and don't be afraid to mess up a few times.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    If it's a "I don't want to heat up the house" or "I don't want to do a lot of complicated steps", I would recommend an Instant Pot if you don't have one. It makes it really simple to cook multiple chicken breasts at once, hard boiled eggs, ears of corn, rice, oatmeal, potatoes, baked beans/chili, etc. without a lot of fuss.

Seriously, cooking frozen chicken breasts is this simple: throw a few (completely frozen) into the instant pot on top of the rack, pour a cup of chicken broth over them, punch in pressure cook for 15 minutes, then let it rest for 5 when the timer goes off. Release pressure and you have enough perfectly cooked chicken breasts to last for several days. (thin slice to have as entree, cube for salad, shred for tacos)

Corn on the cob? Put in fresh corn on top of rack, put in a cup of water, pressure cook for 2 minutes. Release pressure immediately. You're done.
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    One of my favorite precooked items is frozen grilled chicken breast strips. You can add those to so many things.

Quick for salads, throw into soup to make it more like a stew, throw it in rice/quinoa/riced cauliflower (you can buy pre-made or microwave friendly packets of these) and add a measured amount of curry sauce or hot sauce or BBQ sauce, etc whatever flavor you are craving, make a burrito with a low carb tortillas and some veggies.

You could do this with any precooked meats.

I wouldn't nuke them too long to thaw them.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Another option for "I don't want to heat up the house" is a slow cooker/crock pot. Tons of recipes on allrecipes.com.