Nuts as a Healthy Fat

Options
Is it bad to eat a serving size of nuts twice a day? I like to add (walnuts/pistachios) to my plain yogurt and I also like to have an apple with some almonds in the afternoon as it keeps me fuller. Does anyone think it’s too much fat or could cause weight gain?

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Are you measuring your overall calorie intake using a food scale? Are nuts within your calorie goal? If you can answer yes to both of those questions, then eating two servings of nuts a day are A-OK.

If you're not measuring your calorie intake (especially using a food scale) and just guestimating, it's possible that you could eat more than you think you are, which would result in weight gain (or no weight loss).

The nuts themselves aren't the culprit--it's your overall calorie intake. They are calorie dense, so I find it hard to incorporate them regularly because they just don't make me feel full (and I tend to overeat them!), but if they make YOU feel full and you enjoy eating them, then that's what is important to you and your weight loss efforts.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If it fits into your calorie and nutrition goals for the day and you like it, then it's fine. If it doesn't fit into your calorie or nutrition goals for the day, then you might consider trying something else.

No single food causes weight gain. It's the choices we make and how they all fit together that matter. Eat the nuts. Don't eat the nuts. Whatever you want as long as your overall calories and nutrition are met.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    The best nuts are tree nuts and I love them. As long as you put the bag away after a handful go for it and log it.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Is it bad to eat a serving size of nuts twice a day? I like to add (walnuts/pistachios) to my plain yogurt and I also like to have an apple with some almonds in the afternoon as it keeps me fuller. Does anyone think it’s too much fat or could cause weight gain?

dietary fat doesn't make you fat...calories in excess of what your body needs are stored as fat.

This^^^ Too much is what makes you fat. Nuts can be somewhat calorie dense so limit as needed to stay in deficit.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options

I eat at least one serving of nuts daily, and two most days. As long as I eat at my calorie goal, my weight does what I expect it to do, with or without the nuts.

Nuts are not magically good or magically evil, they're just food. Like any other food, they have calories and nutrients that you'll need to evaluate in your own personal context.

Eat to a sensible calorie goal to manage your weight. Get good nutrition for health. Nuts can be part of good nutrition.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    No.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options

If you're concerned about weight gain, you might want to check the calories in two "servings" of nuts each day.

https://www.thekitchn.com/a-visual-guide-to-100-calories-of-nuts-snack-tips-from-the-kitchn-201778

When I started MFP, one of the things I did was to check how many calories worth of cashews I was eating. Turns out I was putting away 400-500 calories a day in cashews. I quit eating the cashews.

YMMV
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I generally avoid nuts when losing, but they are fine. The fats and nutritional profile in them are okay, they are not any kind of superfood.