Upcoming Medical Test about to make me gain!!!

Options
So I’ve shared some of my health concerns with my doctor, and she wants to run a fecal fat test on me sometime in the next week to rule out pancreatic issues. All of my pancreas fears aside (I have severe health anxiety)...she has ordered me to eat 100g of fat, per day, prior to the test. How can I do this without completely blowing up my progress? Also, is there anyone here with pancreatic issues who could tell me what their symptoms are?

Replies

• elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    Just figure the fat into your diet. I doubt you will see much of a change if it is only for less than a week.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    900cals of fat .... easy enough to do ... you will have to drop carbs to make up for it

this is where your logging comes in handy .. start googling keto recipies
  • Amandachanges
    Amandachanges Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I just need to find a “healthy” way to add in all those fat grams. I’ve been on a low fat diet for months now. Not low fat to lose weight, but to avoid terrible and embarrassing symptoms. Any ideas for getting the fat in in a way that’s healthy? I’m sitting here imagining myself eating coconut oil out of a jar with a spoon *blech*
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    You can't really blow up your progress in a week. What is your daily calorie limit and how much are you trying to lose each week? 100g of fat is about 900 calories. The trick is going to be getting that into your diet and staying at your maintenance calories which will result in no loss of weight and no gain.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I just need to find a “healthy” way to add in all those fat grams. I’ve been on a low fat diet for months now. Not low fat to lose weight, but to avoid terrible and embarrassing symptoms. Any ideas for getting the fat in in a way that’s healthy? I’m sitting here imagining myself eating coconut oil out of a jar with a spoon *blech*

I blend coconut butter in to coffee - I have done the same with coconut oil.

You could also make raw chocolate with coconut oil, cacao, sweetener.

Add oil to your meals, cook with oil. Pick high fat versions of everything....
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

Oh my. If you have been low fat I am afraid this may well end up a very uncomfortable week for you. I have no idea how you transition fast enough to avoid some potentially very painful cramping and bathrooms issues and comply with your doctor's orders.

To avoid the coconut oil/spoon plan you should research Keto recipes.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Mmm, fat. I aim for 80 grams of fat twice per week. This picture is from an average day of that. If I needed to get to 100 grams, I'd switch the nonfat milk at breakfast and my evening snack to full fat and add 100 grams of avocado sometime during the day (probably at lunch.) This may take you past your calorie goal but for one week and in order to prepare for a medical test, I think it's worth it.

rzxmsj85o90f.png
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I am going to say 100 g a day really is not that much. I eat at 93 grams a day now. Like others above said. Switch around your macros. Set fat at 100 g. Fit in the protein you want and fill the rest with carbs. You can keep your same calories and just re-arrange the macros to make it all work. In the end it is all about CICO, right? You can make it work. You have already been given some excellent examples of healthy fats.

But honestly. A week won't hurt ya. Figuring out what is wrong is more important than worrying about a pound or two. Why have 2 stresses on your mind? Keep it simple
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I eat about that much fat daily on 1900-2300 calories, and I've been maintaining my weight at 140 for many years.

It's about calories for weight loss. Your pancreas will thank you for eating lower carb.
  • DerekLarkin84
    DerekLarkin84 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Avocados and Almonds are great ways to add fat to diets.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Avocados and Almonds are great ways to add fat to diets.
    Please don't do that. She's scared of food, scared to eat, needs to stop focusing on specific foods.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

Avacados, nut butters, butter and sour cream on any carbs you do eat, heavy whipping cream in coffee
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So I’ve shared some of my health concerns with my doctor, and she wants to run a fecal fat test on me sometime in the next week to rule out pancreatic issues. All of my pancreas fears aside (I have severe health anxiety)...she has ordered me to eat 100g of fat, per day, prior to the test. How can I do this without completely blowing up my progress? Also, is there anyone here with pancreatic issues who could tell me what their symptoms are?

its only a week. i'm pretty sure you'll be able to fit 100g of fat into your maintenance cals.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options

What are your maintenance calories? You might be able to get in that extra fat by simply going up to maintenance for a week by adding fat - cheese, avocado, nuts, butter, heavy cream, etc.

If not, cut some carbs.

It's just a week, and maintenance means you won't gain any fat.

If you insist on maintaining a calorie deficit over the next week, look into keto, and make sure you increase sodium in order to avoid "keto flu."
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i wonder if the OP's health issues are tied to her current low fat diet - i just took a look at diary - avg daily fat in the 4 days i looked was like 30g - that is potentially below the minimal recommendation for fats
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,404 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh, I feel your pain! My maintenance calories are about 1750, and I eat about 40-50gr of fat on high fat days. I'm be constantly hungry if I had to eat so much fat as fats don't keep me full! *hugs* But it will at least answer some questions.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Since you were concerned about losing too fast, look at this like a break maybe and a reason to eat more.
    I think you may be able to eat 100 g at maintenance but I don't know your stats.