Fell off the wagon

Options
jai_paradise
jai_paradise Posts: 1 Member
edited August 2018 in Getting Started
I love this app and used it in 2014 and 2017 and I’m back again. Needless to say I teeter and totter with my weight. I use this app and I’m really diligent until I get to my goal weight then I stop, get bigger and start over. I have no clue what’s wrong with me. Anyway, here I go again and would love to have some friends on the way as well. Does anyone else have the same issue?

Replies

• itsmeagain2016
    itsmeagain2016 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I lost 80 lbs and was 10lbs from goal weight and was doing some amazing things with fitness. I thought I was going to be there for the rest of my life. But things happened and I didn’t pay attention. I’m starting agai!
  • itsmeagain2016
    itsmeagain2016 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was going to friend you but I don’t see how to do that. This is my first time using the community.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with you. It's normal, it's called yoyo-dieting, but it's avoidable. Figure out why you stop, and do something else.
  • auburn392004
    auburn392004 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm right here with you. I had lost 25 lbs a few years ago and it slowly came back. I just started back on here yesterday. Friend me.....we can do this journey together!
  • Joe_58
    Joe_58 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Diets do not work. Traditionally a diet is something you do for a period of time until you reach the goal and then stop the diet. The problem is we always go back to what we did before. And then the weight returns. Consider it a lifestyle change that is permanent and set new goals always moving forward. Otherwise we will inevitably go backwards. Doing something positive, no matter how small, is better than doing nothing.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    Insanity is doing the same thinking over and over and expecting different results. I wonder why so many of us continue the insanity?
  • xrsize4dad
    xrsize4dad Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Same here, fell off the wagon more than once and true diet's don't work (agree with Joe) has to be a lifestyle. I did good for almost 5 years, lost 80+ was so close to where I wanted to be then had one injury after another (tore both rotator cuffs, torn meniscus, ruptured bicep.. back injured) and gained 25 back.. I'm coming back, its been very frustrating and SLOW but I'm committed that I will succeed.
  • emjay196363
    emjay196363 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yep, lost 30 lbs of the 50 I had to lose a couple years ago and spent a year putting 20 of it back on then another year ignoring it. Recently started again, trying to just focus more on a healthy WOE this time.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I love this app and used it in 2014 and 2017 and I’m back again. Needless to say I teeter and totter with my weight. I use this app and I’m really diligent until I get to my goal weight then I stop, get bigger and start over. I have no clue what’s wrong with me. Anyway, here I go again and would love to have some friends on the way as well. Does anyone else have the same issue?

@jai_paradise
    1. There is no wagon.
    2. Dieting doesn't work. I yo-yo'd for about a decade or so with every diet imaginable. Now, with most diets you will lose weight: while on them. It's when you stop, the weight comes right back on. This is because your "normal" eating habits are what lead to the weight, so getting off a diet and returning to "normal" - the weight comes right back on. This leads to:
    3. You have to change your "normal". In order for weight loss to be permanent, you need to change your normal eating habits to maintenance at goal weight. A way to do this is that when you drop weight and are ready to stop dieting, don't actually quit. Change your settings to maintenance and eat your "normal" foods with adjustments to keep your calories at maintenance. This takes a good 30 days to adjust to, if not longer. When you think you can eat at maintenance without having to try, write your food down and log at the end of the day to see how close you are. If you nail maintenance, yay! If not, keep logging at maintenance until you get there.

Me: I started at about 350lbs. I currently weight 170lbs. I dropped the initial 170lbs in 2 years, relearned how to eat and did a 1 year body recomp. I didn't track for a year and gained a whopping 6lbs, I also dropped a pants size. I came back when I decided on a tummy-tuck and dropped about 15lbs in 2 months (yes, very aggressive, but I was closely monitored by 2 doctors) I also know that the fast weight is dropped the more excess skin as skin shrinks slower than fat. As I was set to have a tummy-tuck, it didn't really matter as I was going to have the excess on my belly removed anyways. Now that I'm done with my tummy-tuck, I'm back to drop a bit more. (My upper body loses fat first, my bottom half still has some excess, so I plan on 5lbs at a time and see from there at the rate of .5lbs per week).

You can do this.
  • PoppyGrl
    PoppyGrl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I too have fallen off the wagon so many times now, I can't count. I keep trying, because that is what this site is about. We have to be mindful with what we eat and logging food helps a lot. I was on WW a couple of years ago, and did very well, but was struggling with the last 10 lbs. I gave up because I felt they, as a big business, didn't really care about anything except receiving my monthly payment. Of course, as soon as you stop, the weight starts climbing. I have been on the site for a couple of months now and at least it is keeping me in check, so I don't gain any more weight. Would love to have some support from any of you that struggle like I am doing now.