practice just saying NO!

Options
2»

Replies

• shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    I haven't needed to say no to anything...yet...
  • kraft_kris
    kraft_kris Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Can I say no to saying no?
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    nt3tqpybd0r6.jpg
    a5c8sahubgs9.png

I saw the first candy corn display at Target on Sunday (can pumpkin spice be far behind).I agree candy corn is not something I would eat by itself, but mix it with dry roasted peanuts, and plain M & M's and it is delicious! However, very calorie dense so pretty much off limit.

I will have to say not to the loaf of dilly, garlic bread that I bought at the Farmers Market.
  • capolintan
    capolintan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's been so hard for me to say no the past few months cause I started a new job at a hotel where we always get leftover cakes and cookies. Desserts are so tempting :#
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Great thread! I'm finally learning the skill of saying no. (If you haven't read Judith Beck's Diet Solution book. it's worth reading. It's not a subsitute for MFP, but works well alongside it, especially if you think you struggle with emotional eating), The thing that has helped me most is learning that what is most difficult about saying no to a craving (or whatever is not on your plan for the day) is the tension created by the the indecision. Should I eat this cookie or this ice cream or not? We can go back and forth for a while and that creates an unpleasant tension which is reduced when you give in and eat whatever it is. BUT, and here's the awesome thing, you can also reduce tension simply by just saying "no" and sticking to your plan. I didn't believe it would work at first. I thought it was too simplistic, but it really does work, especially the more and more you practice it. Knowing that the tension will diminish as soon you say "no" makes it easier and easier and also gives you added incentive not to give in (because then next time you might not believe yourself!) Anyway, it feels awesome to know I can be around any food and know that I will not give in just because I had the thought to eat it.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    For all the candy corn haters, if you melt it down and mix it with peanut butter it tastes like the inside of a butterfinger bar.

It does have that going for it.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    I'll be lunching out with some friends - I'll say no to anything other than a salad with grilled chicken.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I never "just say no". A reasonless "no" for the sake of it would never fly with me. I say "later", "there are better choices for my goals today", "I don't want it enough today", "I'd rather have X today", "I don't like it enough"...etc.

Today I said "I've already had 4 pieces of fruit and having this would cut into my protein allowance" to an apple.
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    Saying no to chips today.
  • PhotogirlTX
    PhotogirlTX Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    For today ... I am saying no to the candy jar here at work. It has sucked me back in over the past month, and while most of the time it is in my calorie allotment, yesterday, I was over by almost 300 due to stress eating. So today, I say no to stress and to stress chocolate eating.
  • hippysprout
    hippysprout Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    I never "just say no". A reasonless "no" for the sake of it would never fly with me. I say "later", "there are better choices for my goals today", "I don't want it enough today", "I'd rather have X today", "I don't like it enough"...etc.

Today I said "I've already had 4 pieces of fruit and having this would cut into my protein allowance" to an apple.

Well said. I think most people generally have good reasons for their "no"s.

In the spirit of this thread, I just said "no" to some offered ice cream. "No" of the "later" variety, since I plan to have some ice cream tonight after I work out.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Pretty much anything that doesn't include studying for finals, at least today.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    kraft_kris wrote: »
    Can I say no to saying no?

No.
  • Slowfaster
    Slowfaster Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    ncfitbit wrote: »
    Great thread! I'm finally learning the skill of saying no. (If you haven't read Judith Beck's Diet Solution book. it's worth reading. It's not a subsitute for MFP, but works well alongside it, especially if you think you struggle with emotional eating), The thing that has helped me most is learning that what is most difficult about saying no to a craving (or whatever is not on your plan for the day) is the tension created by the the indecision. Should I eat this cookie or this ice cream or not? We can go back and forth for a while and that creates an unpleasant tension which is reduced when you give in and eat whatever it is. BUT, and here's the awesome thing, you can also reduce tension simply by just saying "no" and sticking to your plan. I didn't believe it would work at first. I thought it was too simplistic, but it really does work, especially the more and more you practice it. Knowing that the tension will diminish as soon you say "no" makes it easier and easier and also gives you added incentive not to give in (because then next time you might not believe yourself!) Anyway, it feels awesome to know I can be around any food and know that I will not give in just because I had the thought to eat it.

Thank you, that's so interesting! I just realized that's the thing that's working for me about the 6/18 timed fasting I've been doing this past year. I know I would probably be losing at about the same rate if I spread my calories over the whole day, but knowing I can't have anything at all after 6 P.M has taken that evening tension away where I used to agonize over what snacks I would have in front of the TV.

• mekelly
    mekelly Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I said no to a big office lunch in a local cafe and went for a walk instead
  • makkimakki2018
    makkimakki2018 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    d1wvnldnp4ql.gif
  • blessedwith3boys
    blessedwith3boys Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    This morning I said no to my husband's cooking. I went on the treadmill while he ate and watched a food program! Oh my gosh calories galore! I will make my own breakfast later on with a reasonable amount of calories.