Garden Hot Peppers

Options
funjen1972
funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
edited August 2018 in Food and Nutrition
Anyone have recipes for garden hot peppers, other than pickling or canning?

I have an abundance this year and am looking for other ideas.

(edit: I should have put this in Recipes, but I'm not sure how to move it.)

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what a garden hot pepper is, but I freeze chillis to keep - I just get them out as I need them.
  • funjen1972
    Options
    I'm not sure what a garden hot pepper is, but I freeze chillis to keep - I just get them out as I need them.

Any of the spicy hot peppers from the garden...Hungarian hots, hot banana peppers, hot chilis, etc... I have an entire counter full with more on the way.

What do you put your chilis in?
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I use pepperoncini to make Mississippi Pot Roast. I use habenero to make mushroom salsa, mango salsa, and watermelon salsa (all are great on chicken or fish). I oven roast all kinds of peppers to chop up in pasta or rice dishes. Saute them with mushrooms and serve over steak. Green chili pesto is good. Pho is one of my favorites. Chicken or shrimp fra diavlo is another go to in my house. Fajitas with grilled peppers. There are so many options. We eat spicy all the time.
  • MFPRocky10
    MFPRocky10 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I dried my peppers for 9 months to a 1 year than i grind them, good for cooking
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »

Any of the spicy hot peppers from the garden...Hungarian hots, hot banana peppers, hot chilis, etc... I have an entire counter full with more on the way.

What do you put your chilis in?

Stir fry, omelettes, satay, curries, chilli, noodle dishes, salads.... In dressings, marinades, sauces...
  • funjen1972
    Options
    MFPRocky10 wrote: »
    I dried my peppers for 9 months to a 1 year than i grind them, good for cooking

Oh that's a great idea. I'm running low on pepper flakes.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I also just chop them up and put them in little baggies and freeze them. Mostly I just throw a bag into a pot of chili throughout the year. Or maybe a stir fry. Or a breakfast scramble (throw them in with the fried potatoes and some onions)
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Pickling is never a bad idea. No need to go through the whole canning process though...just make a quick pickle. They'll last for a few weeks in the fridge if you don't eat them first.

I tend to be a fan of chili heat though, so I roast the hungarian hots and banana peppers with whole garlic cloves and oil. Dress with salt and a little bit of vinegar and serve with good crusty bread as part of an antipasti or on their own. Roasted hot peppers and garlic, sharp provolone, and prosciutto/salami on a slice of crusty/chewy bread is sooo good.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Pickling is never a bad idea. No need to go through the whole canning process though...just make a quick pickle. They'll last for a few weeks in the fridge if you don't eat them first.

I tend to be a fan of chili heat though, so I roast the hungarian hots and banana peppers with whole garlic cloves and oil. Dress with salt and a little bit of vinegar and serve with good crusty bread as part of an antipasti or on their own. Roasted hot peppers and garlic, sharp provolone, and prosciutto/salami on a slice of crusty/chewy bread is sooo good.

Wow that sounds good. I'm definitely stepping my pepper game up next year.
  • GeauxL
    GeauxL Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Make salsa. Or add into anything your cooking as you would an onion or bell pepper.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

Wow that sounds good. I'm definitely stepping my pepper game up next year.

Peppers are awesome to grow. Year in and year out they're consistently the best producers in my garden. All types. They even work well when potted. Along with tomatoes, peppers are one of the few crops that have a spot in my garden no matter what. The quality is so superior to what you'll find in a store.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    If you still have too many after you try the suggestions above, you can get rid of them on freecycle.org, craigslist, or a local group on FaceBook.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Stuff them with cheese (and/or bacon) and roast them until they just start to blister.
  • funjen1972
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    If you still have too many after you try the suggestions above, you can get rid of them on freecycle.org, craigslist, or a local group on FaceBook.

Nothing will go to waste! I'm very frugal when it comes to food so every morsel will be used.
  • funjen1972
    Options
    Thanks all for the ideas. I made some sweet hot pickled peppers tonight and am drying some of the chilis. I'll use the jalapenos in my favorite recipe - stuffed with sausage and cheese then wrapped in bacon.

I'm going to try roasting as suggested by DX2JX2 - that sounds delicious!

I also make jalapeno pickled eggs...I bet I can use fresh peppers instead.

The rest will go into the freezer.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Banana peppers are delicious stuffed with sausage and baked in tomato sauce. Brown a little or a lot of cheese on top depending on how many calories you can spare.

Also let some of your jalapeños ripen to red, dry them then smoke over a wood fire. Grind for homemade chipotle seasoning.

I’ve also made hot sauces with various fruits added, though I did end up canning them.
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I also just chop them up and put them in little baggies and freeze them. Mostly I just throw a bag into a pot of chili throughout the year. Or maybe a stir fry. Or a breakfast scramble (throw them in with the fried potatoes and some onions)

I do the same! It's great to add in just about any sauce in need of a bit of heat.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Do you have a dehydrator? I slice peppers, dry them, and run them through the spice grinder. Makes a delicious pepper powder for adding heat to curries, soups, etc.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I like hot peppers in almost everything (except for desserts). Eggs: add peppers. Steak: add hot peppers. Rice: add hot peppers (yes rice too).

I just chop them up and either cook them with my food or put them on my food raw or lightly seared.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Roast them and freeze them. Use them throughout the year in sauces and anything savory - eggs, burgers, pizza, mayonnaise, sandwiches, pastas, etc.