Book recommendations

Options

Replies

• cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    I just finished the "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" series. You have to slog through probably the first 100 pages of the first book, but wow, those 3 books are probably some of the best I have read in a long while. You just have to bleep over all the Swedish streets/places/names and it's a great series. My husband loves Tom Clancy, WEB Griffin and all the Lee Child books. I will read most anything but particularly love Harlan Coben (his Myron Bolitar series is great), Dean Koontz and Stephen King. Also, the young adult books the Hunger Games series are really good (even if you're an adult!) and my teenage son loved them so they aren't chick lit.
  • inthequiet
    Options
    I like Chuck Palahniuk, so far though I've only read Invisible Monsters, Survivor, Choke and Diary. I'd say check out goodreads.com, it's great for recs and such.
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I'm reading "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" right now! You're right, the first 100 pages were so difficult to get through but my friend said to keep going so I did and I'm glad I did! I've only read like 160 pages so far but so far so good!

I recommend the Hunger Games trilogy too! Anything by Jodi Picoult is usually good - page turners and the stories are about court cases and families and really controversial topics.

"The Help" was AWESOME! I'm hoping to get to see the movie eventually :)
  • laureneva15
    Options
    bumping for later.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm so far behind everyone else, but I finally read the Harry Potter books and LOVED THEM. Like, obsessively loved them. Read the 4,000-plus pages in 16 days loved them.

So, I recommend HP if you haven't read them. lol

I just finally read Les Miserables a few months ago and was blown away. I read it unabridged, which I only suggest if you really want to read it unabridged. It was excellent, but will lose a lot of people.

The Pursuit of Other Interests was an awesome read. Not mystery or spy, but very well-written and a good story. Anything by Sydney Sheldon -- quick reads, fast-paced, exciting and easy to get through. Sherlock Holmes (the complete works will keep you busy for a while, but very good). The Book Thief, Half of a Yellow Sun, The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Water for Elephants, Escape from Slavery: The True Story of My Ten Years in Captivity--and My Journey to Freedom in America (non-fiction, but SO GOOD), A Confederacy of Dunces, The Agony and the Ecstasy: A Biographical Novel of Michelangelo, Disgrace, The List of 7 (to go with Sherlock Holmes), The Six Messiah.
  • Karleyyy
    Karleyyy Posts: 857
    Options
    I am reading the Sookie Stackhouse series right now. It's good so far! My favorite books are the Conversion series by S.C Stephens, the Number series by Janet Evanovich, anything by Nicky Charles.... and S.C Stephens. I am also going to be reading the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon soon, I have heard it's a great series.
  • maria1113
    maria1113 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I just finished the "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" series. You have to slog through probably the first 100 pages of the first book, but wow, those 3 books are probably some of the best I have read in a long while. You just have to bleep over all the Swedish streets/places/names and it's a great series.
    Well if the books are anywhere near as good as the movies (yes, the original ones), I can recommend them too. Then again, the Swedish names are not problem to me since I'm a Finn ;)
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I'm reading "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" right now! You're right, the first 100 pages were so difficult to get through but my friend said to keep going so I did and I'm glad I did! I've only read like 160 pages so far but so far so good!

I recommend the Hunger Games trilogy too! Anything by Jodi Picoult is usually good - page turners and the stories are about court cases and families and really controversial topics.

"The Help" was AWESOME! I'm hoping to get to see the movie eventually :)

Loved the Hunger Games!
  • macenro
    macenro Posts: 160
    Options
    I am reading the Sookie Stackhouse series right now. It's good so far! My favorite books are the Conversion series by S.C Stephens, the Number series by Janet Evanovich, anything by Nicky Charles.... and S.C Stephens. I am also going to be reading the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon soon, I have heard it's a great series.

The outlander looked kinda neat. I've always been a sucker for time travel.
  • macenro
    Options
    I like Chuck Palahniuk, so far though I've only read Invisible Monsters, Survivor, Choke and Diary. I'd say check out goodreads.com, it's great for recs and such.

I've read Tell All and Snuff so far
  • thereseofdoom
    thereseofdoom Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The girl with the dragon tattoo series was great.

The hunger games trilogy was great too.

I've recently been reading Carl Hiaasen. His characters are HILARIOUS. Sick Puppy was great and now I'm reading Basket Case.

I was on a vampire book rampage for a while after I read the twilight saga (3 times), then I read the sookie stackhouse novels, and all of Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles.

For action I love Clive Cussler books. My favorite is probably Inca Gold, but any of his Dirk Pitt books are great.

Oh, I love historical fiction too. Phillippa Gregory has some great ones.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Almost finished reading "The Help" and it may be one of the best books I've read in a lonnnggg time. I've been laughing, in suspense and almost in tears the entire way through (minus the beginning which always takes some time getting into). :)
    I second that sugestion! I really enjoyed reading it. Kept me laughing and crying all the way though..

Also have you ever read stuff by Sophia Kinsilla? The Shopaholic books are great, as are her other books. Janet Evenoich's Stephanie Plum novels are a great read.

I just read Something Borrowed, and Something Blue...those were really good as well....

Lets see..what else.....The Namesake was really good too...not as girly as my other books. lol Anything by John Gresham is okay with me.
  • macenro
    Options
    The girl with the dragon tattoo series was great.

The hunger games trilogy was great too.

I've recently been reading Carl Hiaasen. His characters are HILARIOUS. Sick Puppy was great and now I'm reading Basket Case.

I was on a vampire book rampage for a while after I read the twilight saga (3 times), then I read the sookie stackhouse novels, and all of Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles.

For action I love Clive Cussler books. My favorite is probably Inca Gold, but any of his Dirk Pitt books are great.

Oh, I love historical fiction too. Phillippa Gregory has some great ones.

I just got Sick Puppy on my kindle to give it a try.

I also like historical fiction. I really liked Ken Follett's books and Bernard Cromwell is pretty good too.
  • dHowe4406
    dHowe4406 Posts: 114
    Options
    All of the Prey books by John Sandford are good.

George R.R. Martin a song of ice and fire is a great series, it is fantasy not murder mysteries, but still a good read.
  • thereseofdoom
    thereseofdoom Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    "I just got Sick Puppy on my kindle to give it a try.

I also like historical fiction. I really liked Ken Follett's books and Bernard Cromwell is pretty good too. "

I think you'll like sick puppy! I'm in the middle of Basket Case right now, and it's very entertaining. I'll definitely look into Ken Follett and Bernard Cromwell! Thanks for that! Have you read The Da Vinci Code yet? that was great, so was The Lost Symbol.
  • Chunkabutt83
    Options

i just read this too and really liked it a lot. As far as other books i would reccomend, im a huge Dean Koontz fan, especially the Odd Thomas series

I really enjoyed this series.
    They're making it into a movie!

i heard that! Cant wait to see it, hopefully its as good as the book, sometimes its so dissapointing to read a book and then the movie sucks!
  • Solly123
    Solly123 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Lee Child - Any of his Jack Reacher series.

I second this.. Any Jack Reacher (Lee Child) is brill... Love them. Reacher is an Ex Army MP who just roves around the US..

Also the Harry Bosch (Michael Connelly ) books.. Along the lines of Reacher, except Harry Bosch is a detective solving crimes..

Favorite book of all time - Servent of the Bones by Ann Rice.. Amazing book..

Also second "The Help" by Katherine Stockett ?? Not sure thats the correct spelling. Takes a little to get going, but a very good book...
  • Hattie2879
    Hattie2879 Posts: 131
    Options
    The Magic Kingdom of Landover by Terry Brooks is a good series (6 books total).

Stephen King...pretty much any of his stuff (The Dark Tower series, Desperation, The Dark Half, Under the Dome).

Dean Koontz, again the Odd Thomas series is good - as are most of his books (i.e. Icebound).

The Drizzt Do'Urden series by R.A. Salvatore (not quite sure how many books are in this series, as the "series" is broken into smaller series).

I've also enjoyed Sue Grafton's Alphabet (Kinsey Millhone) series, as well as Janet Evanovich's Number (Stephanie Plum) series.
  • luvJOJO
    luvJOJO Posts: 1,881 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series!