hips and pants size

2»

Replies

• bkw61
    bkw61 Posts: 29 Member
    My mom and I were having this conversation today... after I went shopping for new jeans. I didnt find what I wanted, but i did try on 6s and even one pair of 4s! OMG I never thought id see that number.(I have a flat butt, so need flap pockets and mid-rise.)

When I got married, 33 years ago, I weighed roughly 132 and looked heavier than I do now, at 140. I wore boys jeans back then, so not sure of my size. My mom actually said she thought I was in better shape now. That could be true, I work out now and never did back then. Still I think sizes have changed and also have run into the size charts not matching the sizes online.

Looks like I will be out jean shopping again!
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    I have never been able to lose a big amount of weight and now with all the squats, deadlifts, I have bubble butt, so I don't know what's the smallest jeans I can fit into...my pant size has been consistent for years~
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    It all depends While pregnancy itself may widens the hips somewhat , many women have c-sections and they hips do not go through the same widening trauma as women with vaginal birth. So having kids may or may not widens the jib much.

Also it varies by height, built and shape plus pants style. Women with apple shape may wear much smaller size jeans than pear/hourglass shape women especially if it is low-rise jeans.

I always had hourglass figure with wide hips and narrow waist, and my babies just increased this difference. I have a 0.65 waist/hip ratio and boyish cut jeans look ridiculous on me. If I can pull those style jeans over hip, the waisline is humongous. Only curvy style jeans fit properly regardless of the size.
  • carinamone
    carinamone Posts: 1 Member
    I know this thread is old but I will contribute anyway. I am blessed with being both heavily muscled (and now a nice added layer of fat that I am working on losing) and with very wide hips. I was 9% body fat in high school at 5 ft 1 and 136 (I was a freak of an athlete)....yet still wore size 12 because of both my wide hips (that pushed out a 9 lb + baby) and an EXTREMELY big/muscular booty. All those exercises that helped other girls tone their butts....made nine bigger and perkier. So now I lift heavy to lose weight 😁
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    katznkt wrote: »
    When I was in high school, I honestly thought that my... womanly... Hips would prevent me from wearing jeans smaller than an 8. Now, I'm losing weight I'm starting to think that isn't true. I do have Hips... broader now that I have had kids, but I think that if I lost enough they could fit in any size I wanted.

What is the truth? Will big hips prevent smaller pants, or is that a load of bull that would be changed if the person lost enough weight? Or is there a cap, but it is just smaller than I thought?

I have a stereotypical Latina build. Ittty bitty waist, big bug & thighs. I just dropped into a size 6 jeans (29 in Levi's 501's - 100% cotton, so no stretch!). You can probably fit into any size you wanted within reason. Those of us with wider hips, a larger backside, may bottom out at a size 4 and still have a healthy body. Mind you, because we are wider in hips... We generally wear two completely different sizes on top and bottom. I wear a juniors small (size 2) on top, and 6 on bottom.

Don't focus so much on size, but on body fat. I know I will probably never drop lower than a 6 because I do enjoy lifting and squats do build the butt. Also, at 5'7" pant length are becoming an issue for me, I don't get it, do clothing designers think we shrink in height when we lose weight????
  • FoxAndOpal
    FoxAndOpal Posts: 14 Member
    Ugh. I feel you.

I’m 5’6” and started at 275lbs, wearing a size 18 jeans. When I got down to 200lbs I was in a size 16. I’m at 175 now and I wear a size 14. My goal weight is 130lbs so I do still have a ways to go, but it feels impossible that I’ll ever get into a 2 or 4. But I also know that the amount of pounds lost between needing to change sizes is smaller the smaller you are. So a 2 —> 4 may be 10lbs while an 18 —> 16 was 75lbs for me. Or so I’ve heard. It’s mythos to me as I’ve never worn a 2 or 4. 🙂
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Clothes... are crazy. Not all bodies fit into all clothes. I wear pretty small bottoms (4/6) and I still have about 20kg to go to my goal weight, though only 10kg to healthy BMI! I have no idea what size I'll be. But I'm still a medium in tops because I have not lost where I want to lose. ;)
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    I have large hips and even when I was at my skinniest in high school at 135 5'6" the smallest size I could wear was a 10 and the legs were loose.

This is me exactly now,cannot get lower than a 10 st 5'6 135
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    I am 5'6.5". Weigh 140lbs. I usually wear a 4 pant, sometimes a 2 or 6, depending on sizing. My hips measure 37".

Tops can range from xs to medium, depending on fit. I'm busty with a 39" chest (not rib cage) so it all depends on the cut.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    When I lost about 50 lbs in weight, I lost about 10 inches of my waist (from about 38 to about 28) but only about two or three inches off my hips, which are still about 38 inches at 5’5’’ and 138lbs. My hips are just really wide.

My clothes, in American sizes, are mostly 6s, with some 4s, depending on how they are fitted. A skirt that’s fitted in the waist and loose on the hips, I’ll easily fit into a 4. Low waisted trousers might not fit me at all - combination of wide hips and high natural waist - but if they do, they’d be a 6 or even larger, though they’d be way too big on the waist then.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Clothes... are crazy. Not all bodies fit into all clothes. I wear pretty small bottoms (4/6) and I still have about 20kg to go to my goal weight, though only 10kg to healthy BMI! I have no idea what size I'll be. But I'm still a medium in tops because I have not lost where I want to lose. ;)

@dhiammarath

Of course not. My theory is that fat is a jerk: wherever we want to lose first, goes last. Wherever we don't mind it, goes first. (Fat: "Oh you want slimmer thighs, well, time for your boobs to shrink!")
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    VUA21 wrote: »

@dhiammarath

Of course not. My theory is that fat is a jerk: wherever we want to lose first, goes last. Wherever we don't mind it, goes first. (Fat: "Oh you want slimmer thighs, well, time for your boobs to shrink!")

YEP. PRETTY MUCH. Lemme tell you, @VUA21, if I could have a stern talking to to my fat... ;););)

But ehhh, that's what surgery is for. >.> ... <.<