Ideal weight ...

Options
amsuraj
amsuraj Posts: 43 Member
edited August 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
So I am in a journey to lose weight, but not sure about what it ought to be. I am 5’ 6” and currently weigh 183 lb. Internet says, ideal weight for my height is about 150 lbs which seems low to me. How many of you are in the “ideal” weight or trying to get there? or do you have a different opinion? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    For me, there is no ideal weight, just an ideal range which fits somewhere within a healthy BMI range. Weight fluctuates too much for there be one ideal number. Also, when I think of ideal I think of perfect. I am not after perfect. I am after healthy and healthy will mean different things for different people.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I’m 5’7 and my goal is 150lb. I’ve been there before, so it doesn’t feel too low for me. 135 feels crazy low to me, but I know lots of women around our height that it works for. Frame, body fat %, etc etc are all factors in how you will carry your weight. Just assess yourself as the weight comes off and be flexible I’m your goals. Maybe you’ll like 155 because of your underlying muscle mass. Or maybe you will get to 150 and decide 145 is the way to go. *shrug* it’s your body, you can do what you like. The goal you make now isn’t written in stone.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Your ideal weight is whatever weight you feel happy and healthy.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I'm at the top end of BMI for my height. I'm at 20% bf (I'm female). I realistically can't lose much more weight without it effecting my sports performance.

"Ideal weight" is a range b/c the there is no 1 single perfect weight for all people of the same height.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    For me, it happens to be a weight that's in the middle of my healthy BMI range, means I can wear everything I like in my wardrobe, and is maintainable without requiring an insanely low calorie intake.
  • makkimakki2018
    makkimakki2018 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Female cyclists at your height would be about 132lbs. But thats at a competitive stand point... i think 150lbs is reasonable.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Ideal and optimal is not the same. Ideal weight and bodyfat is some kind of perfect... ideal, whereas at a optimal weight/bodyfat you are healthy, without having to sacrifice perceived quality of life.
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and my ideal weight would be where I'm right now - maintaining between 123-125. Even up to 130 is fine, but much more than that and I start to notice a chubbiness to me (I assume because of my height and small frame). I've been as high as 170 and as low as 118.
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    AS others have said, shoot for a optimal BMI unless you are very muscular. Good luck!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'6" female and a normal BMI range for me starts at around 154lbs. I'm anywhere between 151-155 at the moment. I would like to get to a maintenance range between 147-153. Any thinner than that, and I start to look bony. I would have to do a bit of recomp work to avoid that, and I just haven't gone all-in with that yet.