Help! High intensity exercise

Options
For those who do high intensity workouts- HIIT, Metafit, Plyo how do folk record this?? Also curious as I’m sure the app doesn’t take into account the calories burned after workout?

Replies

• emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the "My Fitness Pal HIIT For Beginners" program, each workout says what it should be logged as, and then time worked out is the length of the video.

Depending on the program you will likely be logging a different type of exercise most days. Some days may be strength training, or calisthenics, or circuit training, etc.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    The calories burned after the workout are largely insignificant.

My HIIT is usually sprint-related, so I record it as running and use my HRM. It's been "accurate" enough for me, and is never far from what MFP calculates.
  • Fee1804
    Fee1804 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Great, I’ll have a look thru the workouts on app and see if there’s anything similar and record that way - thanks
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Circuit training
  • Fee1804
    Options
    Brilliant thanks for that- any ideas for recording suspension type training (also known as TRX)??
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    For those who do high intensity workouts- HIIT, Metafit, Plyo how do folk record this??
    My high intensity workouts are cycling so I record them as "cycling" and use power for calorie estimates.
    If I'm doing circuit training I log as "circuit training" (there's a theme developing! ;) )

Also curious as I’m sure the app doesn’t take into account the calories burned after workout?
    Because they are varied and insignificant. Most exaggerated claims for EPOC come from the dreaded Marketing Department and have little basis in reality.

TRX
    I would record the duration as "strength training". Don't know if you are aware that only the CV part of the exercise diary has a calorie estimating function.

• Fee1804
    Options
    TRX-
    I would record the duration as "strength training". Don't know if you are aware that only the CV part of the exercise diary has a calorie estimating function.

Sorry for my ignorance (totally new to this app and still trying to navigate my way round!). TRX- if recording as ‘Strength’ training does this merely record the form of exercise and time spent doing it as opposed to calories burned as it’s not classed as cardio?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Fee1804 wrote: »
    TRX-

Sorry for my ignorance (totally new to this app and still trying to navigate my way round!). TRX- if recording as ‘Strength’ training does this merely record the form of exercise and time spent doing it as opposed to calories burned as it’s not classed as cardio?

The exercise diary is in two parts.
    Strength part of the diary is purely a journal with no calorie functionality.
    The CV part gives calorie estimates, search for strength training in the cardiovascular part of the dairy to get a calorie estimate based on the typical METS of strength training and in relation to your bodyweight.
  • Fee1804
    Options
    Great, that’s been helpful :smiley: