Workout advice for herniated disc injury

Options
Hi all!
I have 2 herniated discs in my lower lumbar and i am having a difficult time exercising. Anything i do seems to trigger pain. I used to do crossfit and boxing but since my injury that is all gone and the weight pilled on.
Besides swimming what are other workouts that i can do to help with my weightloss as well as strenghth training?

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Walk for now. Multiple short bouts of walking every day both burn calories and help the discs heal. Stop right away if walking gets painful and repeat later, even if that means taking only 5 steps every hour. Once you're well enough, core exercises to strengthen the muscles around your discs to help you get back to exercise faster and avoid any movements that aggravate pain. Take it easy, by rushing the process now you risk prolonging it.
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Physical therapy for a herniated disc had me doing core exercises 3x a day, motion exercise like swimming or walking for at least 10 minutes a day. I was also told to not sit longer than 20 minutes. Talk to your doctor, but fair warning, the pain gets worse before it gets better. After awhile, you will want to do the core exercises because they help stop the pain.
  • Movemoreguy22
    Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Same as everyone else core... don't do crunches work on more planks and bridging if your pain allows you too
  • dragonghost
    dragonghost Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have been where you are in the past. Walking helps a lot as does doing planks as you become stronger try using very low weights an its Safer using machines then free weights less chance of making things worse.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Walk, maybe yoga. Avoid bed rest.
  • notarunnermfp
    notarunnermfp Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have been biking and slowly working back into strength training.

Have you done physical therapy? My PT has been working with me on new exercises and advising me on how to get back into a strength training routine.