Anyone losing weight just on diet alone?

Options
Anyone on a weight loss journey losing weight with zero exercise just diet and sticking to the recommended calorie intake fitnesspal has given you?

What was your starting weight?
How much have you lost?

I’ve lost weight doing both :)

Replies

• lbride
    lbride Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Of course, you don't need exercise to lose weight. You can't "out-exercise" a bad diet. I lost 20 lbs by eating at a calorie deficit over a 2-3 month period (150 to 130, and I'm 5'6).
    Now I will tell me that it is much easier (for me) to maintain the weight loss by exercising (but I only do weights, not cardio). That's my 2 cents.
  • BlissfulAmnesia
    BlissfulAmnesia Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have, was at 76 kgs and now at 72-73 kg.
    But you have to be more strict with counting calories that way, to make sure there IS a deficit big enough.
  • mattaturtle
    mattaturtle Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I’ve been on the Keto for eight weeks today. Starting weight was 262 and current weight is 227. I have only worked out a few times in that span. And when I did workout it was only a quick 15 - 20 on the treadmill and about ten minutes lifting dumbells and stomach crunches. Some weeks I’ll lose one or two pounds but this last week I’ve lost over five. Good luck on your journey! 😊
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I started March/April-ish. SW: 205 CW: 170. I did excercise a little, but very very limited due to knee & calf injuries. I was doing 1-3 workouts some weeks of 20min gentle swimming/stationary bike/walking. Now I can no longer do these things because my knees are so bad. I also never managed to make them a habit, so it was very sporadic and I injured myself twice trying. My exercises also did not burn many calories, maybe 200 at the most. I am still losing.
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    On days I can’t exercise, yes.
  • jasondjulian
    jasondjulian Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    For sure.. exercise in and of itself isn't the greatest tool to effectuate weight loss... diet (noun) does that.

About 9 months, started at 237, now at 179 (currently carrying a bit extra since I just started a solid weight training schedule). So just shy of 60lbs lost just by sticking the recommended caloric intake/deficit- more or less.
  • Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I started at 116kg and got down to 90kg without any exercise (due to a back injury). To be fair, though, I looked like crap by the end of it.

Since my back was fixed, I’ve exercised 5 days a week. I’m now 85kg, stronger and much healthier-looking all round.
  • SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I made it to 116 without exercise ^^
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I lost over 75 lbs with 0 exercise. I went from 250 to 167 pounds in a year. For the most part of that journey I ate 1200 calories.

I did gained back 50 pounds of that weight back and I'm just starting again. I'm planning on loosing mostly based on my diet. I started doing light exercise now, mostly because I want to be healthy more than being skinny. My hate of exercise isn't gone, I'm very lazy at heart and I know it lol
    At work, we now all eat at our desk and we do a 15-30 minutes walk around the block during lunch time. Doing it with coworkers forces me to go and we walk somewhat briskly, just above regular pace.
    During the week-end, we sometimes go for bike ride and picnic, or a small nature walk. That's about it.
  • mammalawrence
    mammalawrence Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    SW: +350lb
    CW: 170lbs

Most of my weight loss happened purely by being in a calorie deficit. No special diets, just eating fewer calories than I use.

I didn't start doing dedicated exercises until I was under 250lbs. At 250lbs, I started taking a walk every evening. Not until I hit 200 did I start strength training. Only recently I now run as well

Exercise actually slows my weight loss: the hunger after a workout is intense! And, last time I ran 5 miles my total caloric burn was about 550 calories.

Wow that is amazing to read, It makes me feel super hopeful for my journey.
    Sw 343
    Cw 297
    I have been working on eating at a caloric deficit and would like to begin exercising but I have been having some health issues that prevent a lot of walking etc.
  • msmith404040
    msmith404040 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I started at 207 and am down to 159 with no exercise, so I lost 48 pounds just counting calories. But I'm stalling out. I'm not counting as closely as I used to though, too. Just kinda coasting along at 159 to 162 in a holding pattern deciding if I'm going to start exercising or get serious about cutting my calories again.
  • FireVixen_Fayth
    FireVixen_Fayth Posts: 154 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I went vegetarian over a couple weeks and have been full vegetarian for 1.5 weeks now. My goal weight is 175lbs, I currently weigh 302. When I started my diet I weighed 315. My last weigh in was 3 days ago and I have lost 13lbs in 14 days.

Really all I've done is reduce my calories from around 2500 to 1000-1200 a day and quintupled my water intake. Was drinking like 44oz a day average and now I drink 3-5 52oz cups a day.

I only do light activity, basic steps as I do my job. I work as a security guard. I'm already at 4200 steps today just from this morning, I have 2 hours of work tonight before the new day and will probably get 3000 more because how busy Thursday night to Friday morning is.

According to my step counter(I want a fitbit charge hr) I've burned 355 calories already.

I'm being monitored by both my doctors and a nutrionist. And I was given the green light for this diet. My goal is to be 175lbs by 1-1-19..

I know you asked no activity but I'm normally really not active other than work.
  • Caralarma
    Caralarma Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I've lost 10kg without any exercise whatsoever. Weight loss is about creating a calorie deficit and this can be done by just eating less. Exercise is just an alternative way of creating a deficit but it's not as important as whT you eat
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    SW: +350lb
    CW: 170lbs

Most of my weight loss happened purely by being in a calorie deficit. No special diets, just eating fewer calories than I use.

I didn't start doing dedicated exercises until I was under 250lbs. At 250lbs, I started taking a walk every evening. Not until I hit 200 did I start strength training. Only recently I now run as well

Exercise actually slows my weight loss: the hunger after a workout is intense! And, last time I ran 5 miles my total caloric burn was about 550 calories.

Wow that is amazing to read, It makes me feel super hopeful for my journey.
    Sw 343
    Cw 297
    I have been working on eating at a caloric deficit and would like to begin exercising but I have been having some health issues that prevent a lot of walking etc.

@mammalawrence
    I too had health issues for a while when I first started. Most of them have gone away from losing the weight. That's why I didn't start doing my evening walks until I was at about 250lbs, and then it was a slow 30-minute walk every night. It took 2 years for me to drop the initial 170lbs, then I did a major body recomp. After a year I'm back to drop a bit more. I'm doing 5lbs goals as the less excess fat, the harder and longer it takes to lose it. I'm hoping to drop to under 160 by New Year's (currently at 168.9).
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    You don't need to exercise to lose weight, it just helps with body composition and increased fitness and strength. Of course there's a calorie burn there which helps if you don't want to cut calories in your diet, but ultimately it's the calorie deficit that does it whether that comes from a mix of diet, exercise or both doesn't matter.

I exercise regularly but I have done for several years. I've gained weight, stayed the same and lost weight at different times, all while my exercise has stayed roughly the same. The only thing I've ever changed to change my weight is my diet, specifically my calorie intake.
  • KerrieA87
    KerrieA87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options

I'm not really adding to this thread, but just wanted to say that I've never met anyone else with the same condition! Mine is food-dependent though so I'm able to exercise, just has to be before eating and then I can't raise my body temp for a few hours. Congrats on your loss! I managed to lose 30 lbs too!

They tested me for possible food allergies that could be triggering it but since nothing showed up and I can exercise after a 12 hour fast and still go into anaphylaxis when exercising, it’s not fun. Well done on your loss too
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am for now because I have a knee injury. I still do light weights for my upper body but no walking or hiking like normal. The weight is coming off a little slower but still steady