Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Monbiot: increase in obesity due to food industry

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    I read that, too. I was going to start a thread on it, thanks for saving me the trouble.

The article claims we're eating and drinking almost 400 fewer calories per day. It says more if them are from sugar, which prevents our appetite inhibitors from working, so we eat more. But we just went over how we eat less.

How did this make it past an editor??

What's an editor?
  • jdubois5351
    jdubois5351 Posts: 460 Member
    edited August 2018
    [quote="mariluny;c-42480619"Humans know instinctivelly what we can eat, what's easier to digest, what makes you feel the most energetic... we just choose to ignore it often.[/quote]

I think you're right, but I also think very many people have forgotten how to listen to the cues their bodies give them. Take hunger, for example. Most people don't even know anymore, what real hunger feels like. We get cravings and confuse them with hunger, and so we overeat. It takes the knowledge of what is happening and the will to truly deal with what your body might be telling you to change that. Stuffing your pie-hole is soooo much easier and more satifiying short-term.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    I'm sure I've seen a gadget which enables placing a filling in something, I think it was part of my icing set, a very long nozzle, then you can choose your own lower calorie filling. (I've not seen it for years, giggle)

I use an apple corer to pull a chunk out of cupcakes, then fill it and cover in icing. Or bake stuff into the centre (caramel, chocolate spread or jam... Mmm)

Baking a little cube of cream cheese in the center works swell, too.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,160 Member
    Take hunger, for example. Most people don't even know anymore, what real hunger feels like. We get cravings and confuse them with hunger, and so we overeat.

It is never good to generalize. (see what I did there) but this is true for me. When I have been counting my calories and logging in MFP it took months of eating very carefully and losing extra weight before I got to a place where being a couple hours late on eating, or not getting a sufficient amount of calories in a meal, I began to experience hunger. Being 60 lbs overweight, I don't think I really have experience hunger in a couple of years. On the one hand, it is good to be me (evolutionarily speaking) on the other hand there are consequences of this access and abundance. 400 kcal everyday for every is pretty sweet for survival, but not for thriving.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I read that, too. I was going to start a thread on it, thanks for saving me the trouble.

The article claims we're eating and drinking almost 400 fewer calories per day. It says more if them are from sugar, which prevents our appetite inhibitors from working, so we eat more. But we just went over how we eat less.

How did this make it past an editor??

What's an editor?

Excellent point. Unfortunately.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Zeal is a hard thing to get over. It just feels so good.

This forum has changed my mind about some health and diet related things, for what it's worth. I was raised by hippies, and brought up with the idea that certain foods were "good" and others were "bad." It's a hard thing to shake. Really doesn't help to have respected newspapers running stories about how it isn't eating too many calories that makes you fat, it's evil sugar, sprung on an unwitting public by ruthless corporate henchmen. But a story like that just lines up with so many things that people feel zealous about. So all this talking we do, some good comes out of it. :smile:

I note one key error many make - this being the natural state of man. Ours is war. Peace is abnormal and takes tremendous effort. This is only achieved through discussion.

We stop talking, we revert to our primal selves...and we all lose.
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Obviously you are eating too much if you have become obese. I get what the video is getting at, but if you aren't eating too much, you won't become overweight.