Exercise Calories-Do you eat them or not?!

Options
2»

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I took off 107lbs. w/o "eating them". Tried it about a month ago, and gained. I know what works for my body. Personally, if it's not going to benefit my body, it's not going in me (and too much does not benefit me at all). One thing is though, if I feel I need the extra calories I eat them.

sounds like your metabolism has slowed down due to too long of not eating enough, now when you eat what you should you gain due to this damage.
  • erickirb
    Options
    I NEVER eat them. I do not eat them for a variety of reasons:

1) I have never heard about eating more to lose more until I came on here- although I have no reason not to trust the dynamics of this site, I do not trust the theory of eating extra to lose more.
    2) I do not have an HRM, so I am not able to tell exactly what I should eat. I had planned to get one, but never got around to budgeting the money for it.
    3) I have lost over 90 lbs in about seven months- I think I have got my weight loss pretty figured out.

1) MFP is different and sets your caloric intake assuming you will not workout. If you have a caloric intake from a trainer or nutritionist they will take into account your exercise and give you mare calories/day than MFP does. But when you do workout MFP adds them back so at the end of the week your overall deficit would be the same in either case. If you don't eat them I would suggest setting your daily intake at 250-500 higher than MFP does.
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I took off 107lbs. w/o "eating them". Tried it about a month ago, and gained. I know what works for my body. Personally, if it's not going to benefit my body, it's not going in me (and too much does not benefit me at all). One thing is though, if I feel I need the extra calories I eat them.

sounds like your metabolism has slowed down due to too long of not eating enough, now when you eat what you should you gain due to this damage.

Thanks, dr. but I'll still to my doctors and nutritionists advice. It hasn't slowed down at all. I'm losing big every week and have for quite sometime.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    You'll get a a bazillion responses to this-

My suggestion is see how it affects YOU- try one week of NOT eating them back

and one week of eating ALL of them back ( or at least MOST)

THAT'll give you the answer YOU're seeking- IF it affects YOU or not.....
  • erickirb
    Options

Thanks, dr. but I'll still to my doctors and nutritionists advice. It hasn't slowed down at all. I'm losing big every week and have for quite sometime.

Yes it has or it would be impossible for you to gain when eating exercise calories, as all that is doing is keeping your deficit at your goal amount (500 cals for a 1 lb/week loss) if you can gain on a deficit, then your metabolism is damaged.
  • erickirb
    Options
    You'll get a a bazillion responses to this-

My suggestion is see how it affects YOU- try one week of NOT eating them back

and one week of eating ALL of them back ( or at least MOST)

THAT'll give you the answer YOU're seeking- IF it affects YOU or not.....

This advise is okay but I would try 3-4 weeks one way before switching to try the other, as it takes your body a while to get use to what you are doing.
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options

Yes it has or it would be impossible for you to gain when eating exercise calories, as all that is doing is keeping your deficit at your goal amount (500 cals for a 1 lb/week loss) if you can gain on a deficit, then your metabolism is damaged.

Like I said, I take my medical advice from medical professionals not people in online forums.
  • ladysandy
    Options
    Seriously people? Seriously? YES!!!!!! EAT YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/

Really??? You have to do what works for YOUR body. If you're losing weight while NOT eating your exercise calories AND you're not hungry, you are fine NOT eating them.

I've never heard about eating your exercises until I came here, don't you exercise to LOSE WEIGHT??? I agree; you have to do what's BEST for YOU! Try not eating them for a week, then eat them, and then just eat half, you'll see what works best for you!
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    If you are not losing while eating them then you are doing something wrong or have a slow or damaged metabolism. Essentially it is math, and the math works if you have a properly functioning metabolism.

After reading this question on here a number of time, it's clear that people don't realize when their metabolism has been altered/slowed and/or damaged, which is what happens when people yo-yo diet, routinely eat too few calories basedon their daily energy expendature, etc.

I (personally) do eat my exercise calories back ... now.

I would say that I didn't do that before, but actually what I was doing before was just merely not eating enough at all for the intensity of the workouts I was doing to begin with and then also not eating back my calories and I plateau'd for nearly 6 months, even put some of what I had lost back on. Not until I talked with a trainer and he had me adjust my food dramatically, including eating my workout calories back did my body finally respond. It took a while for my metabolism to respond, but it finally did and since then I've lost an additional 34 lbs (for a total of 117), have dropped my body fat to the "athlete" range and I eat a lot, which is good because I love to cook ... and to eat! :)
  • OneFitMom_
    OneFitMom_ Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I only eat back 200 of my exercise calories on my cardio only days. I eat between 1600-1800 cals everyday though.