What do you do about your cravings???

Options
I have been craving random things at different times. I do one cheat meal a week. But once that is used up I get strict on myself to keep with in my goals.
What does everyone else do about their cravings? If I crave something during the week after a cheat meal, I will eat a bite of that food and incorporate it into my calorie intake for the day. Then I adjust the day accordingly, so I don’t go over calorie budget.
I would love to hear how everyone manages their cravings. What works for you? What doesn’t?

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I follow a weekly calorie goal so my calories are over some days and under others. That way I can have a higher calorie food if I want it and it balances out in the end. Also, I pre-log an evening snack that is usually some kind of dessert..every day.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I try to fit it into my calories.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    I hate to say this, but I never have cheat meals. On other diets, I have craved pizza or a cheeseburger, but this time, I don't. I make a wide variety of meals and try to incorporate different tastes and seasonings, and I think that helps. One day, I even made a 2 oz hamburger for lunch, put tomatoes and lettuce on it, and put it on 1 slice of high fiber wheat bread. I try to think ahead about meals, and always make sure I have fruits and vegetables to snack on. I'm actually finding it so easy this time, I'm surprising myself.
  • sweetsal64
    sweetsal64 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You seem to have a handle on your cravings and it works for you! I don't do the cheat meal (on purpose...lol), but try to stay within my caloric goal and add a treat now and then. I have very poor will power if there are lots of "treats" in the house, so I tend not to have much of them around. If I know that I'm going to need an extra 350 calories for a scoop of Italian ice with fresh berries, I either exercise an extra 300 or so calories, or I incorporate it into my 1200 allotted. If I blow it big-time, I make myself get in an extra workout or very long walk the next day. That way (holding myself accountable), I don't want to cheat. I really don't want to do the extra calorie burn!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Either ignore it or eat what it is I want within reason. Usually I either want a sweet, or I want a salty snack. I try to have low-cal options for both of those on hand.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    No food off limits. Moderation, portion control and stay within my calorie budget. No “cheat meals”, just better choices, and pre-logging my meals/snacks every day.
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat meals because for me it brings the notion of good and bad food, which I don't want. When I crave something, I make it work in my calories. Last night I had cheese and crackers, it's super high in calories but I made it work (without feeling ravenous all day). Sometimes I crave chips, ice cream etc. and if it last for a few days, i'll have them.
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I just fit my cravings into my calorie allotment; and usually a much smaller portion than I would have been satisfied with in the past. French women, who all seem very thin and healthy, have a saying that "no bite is as delicious as the first"! So I try to savor my food. I don't do "cheat meals"; there's no reason for me to need to cheat, and wreck a whole week of wise eating and lots of exercise.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I don't really get cravings that often, but when I do I have a few options: fit the food I want into my day, do some extra cardio, make a lower calorie substitution, save it for the weekend where I have more calories to play with (since I bank calories), eat it anyway and just accept a slow to no loss that week, or... ignore it and let it pass. Sometimes I want the donuts I have frozen in my freezer, but they will just have to wait until I am in maintenance because they are just not worth the hassle of fitting them into my deficit right now.
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    My cravings are lessening but if I want something I'll have it. If I try and force myself to restrict something I'll just want it more, and I'll end up bingeing on it anyway. I have those high fat/carb/sugar things in moderation. I usually have a Mcdonald's ice cream once a week and try to work it into my carb total, if I don't I'll try to eat less carbs in the next days. But I really don't dwell on it, as that's a road to nowhere.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I'm not very good at managing cravings, but I'd like to be better so I'm interested in all the responses. My best bet is to prevent them by planning satisfying meals that I genuinely enjoy and staying flexible with my plan. Like @stfpaI, I substitute if something comes up or I change my mind about what I'd like to have.

Like @kommodevaran, sometimes I give in and sometimes I don't. Sometimes I tell myself, "That's not on your plan today; work it in tomorrow if you still want it," and that works. The craving is gone really quickly. But other times, it just won't leave me alone and I tangle myself up in will-she-or-won't-she until I invariably do. It's not a big deal because even if it pushes me over for the day, it's not hard to fit it in the following day, and it almost never messes up my whole week. It's still a battle, though.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    When I do the following, I don't have cravings:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me. See also http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
    4. Eat moderate amounts of fruit. This makes me less interested in higher calorie sweets.
    5. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful for women premenstrually.
    6. Save foods like chocolate for after dinner, in small amounts
    7. Stay hydrated
    8. Have a calorie deficit that is appropriate for the amount of weight I need to lose. An overly aggressive goal can definitely lead to cravings.
    9. Eat at maintenance when my appetite goes up premenstrually.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I've found that more often than not, my cravings stem from the power of suggestion. I'll want something because I smelled somebody's tasty lunch in the break room or saw a commercial for something. If I go on about my day, the urge usually passes on its own. If I still want it after a couple of days, I just work it in.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have found my cravings aren't actually physical or nutritional, but stress related. I can usually find a substitute that's within my macros if I am just bitten by the chocolate monster. But I try to think through what's really going on when I find myself preoccupied with wanting something in particular.

Sometimes I need to leave the house. Sometimes I will drink a lot of water and/or a cup of strong coffee. This usually works. If it doesn't, I think about how I will feel AFTER I give into the craving. Will I feel satisfied, or hungrier? At peace, or full of regret?

It might sound overly involved, but I usually do end up NOT giving into the craving when I think it through like this.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    While bulking I just destroy everything...

while losing I just ignore it, it's part of the process and I view it as mental will power. I have a goal, I want to meet it, this will mess it up so no. Also a cheat meal once a week while trying to lose I'd never do either, cause it just helps keep those cravings around. Cut it out and just focus on your goal, you don't "need" a cheat meal, you choose to have one.
  • meagan8376
    meagan8376 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Either I just eat what I’m craving and if I go over my calories I just keep my calories lower the next day.

Or run to coffee or a Diet Coke - it usually curbs my appetite
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    It depends on what I'm craving and why. Aside from passing food musings (mmm donuts), I don't get strong cravings frequently. What happens if I over-restrict, or poorly plan for meals though, is that I usually grab something unhealthy and overeat on it. So I try to make sure I have a variety of lower calorie snacks on hand at my desk, so I don't hit the vending machine. Having good snacks on hand also helps me not come home ravenous and eat half a bag of chips in a sitting. Either planning out my dinners for the week, or even just knowing what I'm doing a day in advance helps me not go out to eat. Usually my cravings are of opportunity. Like a co-worker bringing in a cake. Or someone suggests something tasty. I can usually pass up those things, unless I'm hungy and didn't plan snacks well, or it's a favorite thing. If indulge, I'll see if it fits my day and rearrange if I can so I'm still at goal. If it doesn't fit, and I still really want it, I just try to eat less the next couple days, or work out more to make up for it.