Frustration MAJOR

Have you ever felt like giving up on ur workout plan because it dosen't seems working? Well I am reaching that point. I have been on myfitnesspal for about a month and a half and has caused to me to really look at how I eat and how much I exercise. Therefore I have been working out 6 days a week alternating between pilates and a cardio(Zumba mostly or a 2 mile walk or treadmill). Well I went to the doctor for my anual check up and have gained 8 lbs since my checkup!! Last year when I was watching what I eat but not working out as much. And i have fluxated form 153-156 but 163 really! i havent been that heavy in a long time. However I feel thinner. Could it be muscle? Or should I just give up the hunt to be skinny?

Replies

• maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Ok. Do you really, honestly believe that all that exercise isn't helping you become healthier, or are you looking for an excuse to quit? You said yourself you feel skinnier. Who cares what the scale says? It's simply one measurement, and not always a good one.
  • Rworthy
    Rworthy Posts: 271 Member
    Definitely muscle. Or water weight. Sucks being a chick, but some things are out of your control. Take your measurements instead and give it more time.
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    I agree with the above poster that the working out and eating better is making you healthier. I don't know if I would have been so snarky about it, but to each their own... I think what you might need to do is take a look at how much you're eating and where those calories are coming from. I can't see your diary so I can't offer personalized suggestions, but make sure you're eating back at least some of your exercise calories and taking a day or two off per week for rest and recovery.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Muscle DOES not WEigh more!!! People tend to eat more when they workout and end up gaining not loosing. It is a balance. PS you may want to start circuit training adding in some for of resistance training
  • I am pretty much in the same boat! However weight fluctuates so much throughout the day. When you go to the doctor you have on most your clothes and shoes and believe it or not thats a few pounds right there! And when you drink one water bottle thats one pound you just put inot yourself! lol Also plateauing seems to be an issue i have but i always come out of it. Don't give up! Change up your workout, maybe instead of walking try running and work to improve your time! I had a baby 2 months ago, and I have lost all my baby weight (54 lbs) and now im back to my pre baby weight but im trying to lose the last 10-15 lbs just to tone up and it seems to be falling off sooooo slowly!!!! its frustrating, just dont stop what your doing!
  • First of all it didn't take you a month and a half to get this way nor will it take a month and a half to get to where you want to be...don't look at it like it's a sprint...treat it more like a marathon...this is a lifelong change that takes, well...a lifetime. Maybe you need to cut back on carabohydrates or sugar...look at your food log and figure out what you are getting too much of...drink a lot of water and give yourself a break...

It could be muscle but I doubt it's all muscle...is your food diary open to the public...sometimes it takes someone elses eyes to see a problem we might not see....just my thoughts on your situation...
  • scv4414
    scv4414 Posts: 16 Member
    That does suck, but the scale doesn't always tell the truth. How are your clothes fitting? How do you feel? Are you more energetic? If you want to try something to boost your metabolism, try changing your cardio workouts to intervals. Instead of keeping a steady pace, switch between running and walking, or if you're doing the eliptical, try going switching back and forth from vigorous effort to easier pace. It's really been the key to breaking that barrier for me in my weight. I'm definitely hungrier, but it means my metabolism is working. Get your body to work FOR you. Interval running and weight training both offer "after burn" type effects that keep burning calories after the workout is over.

Anyways, good luck. Also, don't forget that as a woman, our weight can flux 5 pounds due to hormones/salt in our diet/water weight...don't focus too much on the scale :).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member
    Good lord you're just 19 years old. When did patience get lost? Some tough love here...............It's going to take more than a month and a half. It may take a year. Truth is if you're consistent with your eating and exercise, it will happen. It's when you become inconsistent that the numbers will read different.
  • Nd5000
    Nd5000 Posts: 5
    I understand it takes time but who could it go from a great loss scale to gaining 8 lbs?
  • Nd5000
    I have felt great exercising and even worked out after it. Im definitly not quiting its just frusturating getting that news after i thought i was doing so well.
  • Nd5000
    thanks :) I mean i wore lose clothing on purpose to help with the weight. I will keep working on it dont worry :) thanks.
  • stangma
    stangma Posts: 211 Member
    I can certainly identify - went to the dr's last week & his scale was 8# higher than my old mechanical scale. My digital scale says the same as his - - really depressing. But - - we have to get back on the wagon & keep at it. Otherwise we will not be LOSERS !! Add me if you need a buddy.