My question - WHY ARE YOU LOSING WEIGHT?

Options
Hello. I would like to know others reasons for losing weight. I want to find my true reason for wanting to lose and I need ideas.
So what's your reason?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I was over fat for my height and weight.

Cheers, h.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I'm just shedding some weight to lean down after a bulk.
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    braewe wrote: »
    This is going to sound downright disgusting but on vacation this year(aug 1-5) I realized I was having trouble being able to reach to clean myself after using the restroom. That was THE final straw. No way was I going to ask anyone to wipe my rear for me.

So far every time I /really/ /really/ am bored and want to reach for the package of cookies or chips, I just remind myself of that. Had a couple trips to McDonalds, but except for one day I've stayed under my calories. Of course, I broke my toe yesterday morning(didn't think I did, but today's dr visit confirms. Just the little toe but owwww) so the exercise isn't there but it will be. I need to research things I can do without nudging the toe, at least for a couple weeks.

Hope y'all weren't too grossed out, but up to then I just plain didn't care! Seems most of the publicity was, if you're happy, you're fine, stop criticizing. My mother and sister were both models, so maybe there was some stubborn, 'I don't care if you guys are bone thin, not me' going on there too.

Hooray for the practicalities of life. :)

Since you are mobility challenges with your poorly toe, spend the next couple of weeks really getting your logging up to par.
    Use a digital food scale for everything solid, inc prepackaged stuff, measuring cups and spoons for liquids only.
    Double check your entries with package info, mfg websites, and the USDA data base.

Just log what you eat normally, then work on a reasonable deficit and nutrition.

happy tracking and toe recovery.

Cheers, h.
  • Greatful1981
    Greatful1981 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks. So some is to lean down for fitness, some feel their too fat and some for vanity.
    All good reasons!
    Mine is to lose weight so I can be smaller. But! I believe that it might be easier to lose weight if I dont focus on losing weight so I'm looking for something to focus on that will in turn drop weight off my body. I'm really struggling with the mental part of losing weight....
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    It depends on your weight, and if you want to be a smaller version of you, or a smaller version with a more sculpted, firmer body.

If it is basic body composition as opposed to being over fat, look into weight lifting.
    A recomp will hold your weight while you strengthen and resculpt your your body.

If you want to lose a few lbs-
    Start lifting 3x a week at your NEAT calories (don't change how many calories you eat because you are exercising) the calorie burn from lifting will slowly have you losing a few lbs.

If you have more than a few pounds to lose, start counting calories. You don't have to change what you eat, just how much you eat while fulfilling your nutritional goals.

Cheers, h.
  • margbarco
    margbarco Posts: 128 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I have a family history of Hypertension, Atherosclerosis, and high cholesterol.

Unfortunately, I take after that side of the family. Nobody is/was obese or anything, just has/had the dreaded, deadly belly fat. I have it too at the age of 43. I look normal and proportioned all around, except for my unsightly gut :(

I read about what contributes to belly fat and have been trying to change my lifestyle in many ways, forever. Weight loss is just one aspect of my goal.
  • bergk24
    bergk24 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just had a disc removed due to cauda equina. I want to be able to put the least amount of pressure on my spine as possible to prevent further injury. I also want to be able to run again and weighing less helps.
  • Greatful1981
    Greatful1981 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    margbarco wrote: »
    I have a family history of Hypertension, Atherosclerosis, and high cholesterol.

Unfortunately, I take after that side of the family. Nobody is/was obese or anything, just has/had the dreaded, deadly belly fat. I have it too at the age of 43. I look normal and proportioned all around, except for my unsightly gut :(

I read about what contributes to belly fat and have been trying to change my lifestyle in many ways, forever. Weight loss is just one aspect of my goal.

Is mfp helping get rid of the gut? Guts run in my family too....I have one but it's not huge...yet!
  • andreamariexoxo
    andreamariexoxo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of reasons. The main ones being to be healthy, to be able to go jogging for fun, to eventually have a nice toned body, and to live a long life hopefully. The smaller, “petty” reasons is to wear cute clothes, make exes wish they were still with me, not take up so much space when sitting down, stuff like that lol
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I would like to know others reasons for losing weight. I want to find my true reason for wanting to lose and I need ideas.
    So some is to lean down for fitness, some feel their too fat and some for vanity.
    Mine is to lose weight so I can be smaller.
    I think that might be a waste of time - you either want to weigh less (and be smaller, stronger, healthier, prettier), or you don't. But it might be that you're not sure why you should bother doing what it takes to lose weight, which is something a bit different, and I have ideas about that. I think I see where you are mentally.

I was fat. I hated being fat, but I had lost weight before, and regained, and neither the weightloss process nor the regain was fun, so I was reluctant to start. But one day I decided I hated being fat more than I hated the idea of doing something about it. So I set out, like I had before, eating meals, more whole grains, vegetables and fruit, low fat, cutting the junk, walking for 20 minutes every day. I lost some weight and was happy about that.

And it would have ended as before if I hadn't been exposed to "new" ideas right at that time, and from various angles and in the right sequence. I started to see things differently, to think differently. At some point, it dawned on me that I had become fed up with the lifestyle that made me fat, not just with being fat. So I was ready for a permanent change. And that the restrictive diet I used for weightloss, was no good for weight maintenance.

MFP gave me - because I was ready, I suppose; most newcomers wince at the idea - a new perspective: You can eat what you like in moderation. There are no healthy or unhealthy foods; your diet as a whole and over time is what determines your weight (and what you can do about your health with food). There are no superfoods. There are no fattening foods. Weight is maths. Weight is mind over matter. Weight is not magic. It was exactly what my parents had told me. I was able to accept that I had just been an arrogant little brat who had been swayed by diet gurus and sciency sounding woo, and instead of thinking critically, I had let articles and TV shows scare me, and overinterpreted nutritional guidelines. It was so liberating. I let my preconceptions go, one by one. I started to cook more from scratch, because using enough fat, sugar and salt to make food just right, produced delicious meals. I started to feel more competent and confident, and I practiced more because I liked it, so I got even better. I tried out different meal schedules and macro setups and discovered I am flexible and adaptable.
    I discovered that meal planning is essential for me.
    I discovered that I can tolerate cravings. I discovered that I control what goes into my mouth, and that it's easier if I'm strict when I grocery shop.
    I discovered that I can eat whatever I want, but not everything at once, and not all the time.
    I discovered that my preferences change with attitude and exposure and time.
    I discovered that sticking to meals and just have an occasional treat, is sufficient to maintain weight.
    I discovered that I sometimes just want to get out, and walk, or dance, or play - I love being moderately active; it's strenuous, monotonous exercise and long boring marches I hate.
    But! I believe that it might be easier to lose weight if I dont focus on losing weight so I'm looking for something to focus on that will in turn drop weight off my body. I'm really struggling with the mental part of losing weight....
    I think this is great insight. People struggle with weight because they focus on their weight, or weightloss. According to the SMART principle, you should set behavioral goals. You lose weight by eating less (and moving more). So focus on your food intake, and get in good exercise habits. Some people resent the idea of eating less and moving more, so it's smart to have a good routine for both so you don't 1) have to spend much mental energy to think and decide, or 2) feel deprived, restricted or forced. I have settled on three meals per day and walking - your life situation and preferences will most likely be different, so your optimal routines will also be different.
  • FireVixen_Fayth
    FireVixen_Fayth Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My wife first and foremost. My transition, then for my self image and self confidence. My health and so clothes cost less too.
  • VictorSmashes
    VictorSmashes Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    My true reason is vanity like many others. I would love to be skinny again. But my inspiration (though she rarely reminds me how much I should be motivated to actually lose weight) is not having thigh chafing, finding clothes that fit, and decreased joint pain from obesity. Seriously, I got a pressure sore from working (thighs chafing) a few weeks ago and I’m still fat so it’s still there. Plus I’ve taken to wearing ankle supports because my betty boop joints can’t hold my 220 lb body.

Whereas my motivation for working out (wow, eventually) is getting stronger and muscle burns more calories. Good luck finding yourself and your motivation. :3
  • Aine_60
    Aine_60 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Because I'm bursting our of my clothes and my bloaty tummy is uncomfortable.
    Because if I don't take action now to get back to my maintenance weight, I'll be fat again like ten years ago.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Another vanity post. I was advised to not focus on being lean (health reasons, to try and work on wacky hormone/everything levels) - I gave up caring for a while, using the excuse that it was ok for my health.

Now I've got to a point where I've had enough of not being happy with my body, maintaining a higher bf% than I like for months has not made a difference to my health so I've decided to diet anyway and get back to a place I'm happy and maintain that.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm cutting a few pounds in preparation for a 100 mile cycle event in September.

The reason I lost my excess weight was primarily health and doing everything to ensure I have as many good (healthy, fit, strong) years as possible. When you are in your 50's you have choices to make on how you tackle ageing.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    There is no true reason unless you have one. You can't pick one up off the discount shelf. Why do you want to lose weight? If you don't want to lose weight, why are you trying to make yourself lose weight?

Personally, my reason for weight loss is simple: I don't like diabetes.

ETA: you said you were struggling with the mental part of it. Could you explain? You may get more helpful answers to that specific problem.