Fighting binge eating disorder

Hey everyone, I'm re-starting my attempt to handle my binge eating disorder. I tend to use food as my coping mechanism, when it comes to depressed or stressed feelings. Sometimes it feels like I have no control, and I need the food to feel okay. Any advice?

Replies

• anniemteicher
    anniemteicher Posts: 1 Member
    I’m right there with you, tired of this cycle
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Feelings and facts isn't the same. What you tell yourself will happen, will happen. To change your life, you have to change your behavior, and to change your behavior, you have to change your attitude. Change is challenging, because you'l have to go out of your comfort zone. Going out of your comfort zone builds confidence. Figuring out what you can control, and controlling that, and what you can't control, and accepting that, is liberating.
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    edited August 2018
    I am struggling with the same thing right now. For me it's tied to anxiety. I still don't have a real handle on my problems so I can't tell you anything that will definitely work. I think what helps is very personal anyway.

My advice would be to google as much as you can about coping mechanisms, some people recommend distraction techniques like going for a walk or doing star jumps or something to take your mind off the urge. Some people recommend meditating your way through it, accepting the urge to binge and letting yourself feel it completely, the idea is that it seems less scary in time. Keeping trigger foods out of the house, thorough meal planning, non-restrictive eating and doing your shopping online (so you can't be tempted when you're in the store) are all other ways I've read of limiting the risk of binging. You have to find what works for you.

One thing got to me tho, and that was the idea that the binging isn't your real problem, its a symptom that can be caused by anxiety, stress, depression, a history of restricted eating etc, and the only way to really cure the symptom is to cure the real problem. Food isn't curing your stress or your depression and you need to find something that actually will, whether that be therapy, meds or making positive lifestyle changes. For me what seems to help is focusing on meticulous meal planning, getting into a solid consistent routine at the gym, and cutting out alcohol. I have less spare energy to be anxious when I'm sore from lifting and full of endorphins and it helps to feel accomplished about small successes.

Best wishes finding your solution <3
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    what helped me is to personalize the disorder .... humanize it, give it a name treat it as a person . It becomes a lot easier to argue, bargain, compromise with.

I got the idea from reading 2 books

(1) Life without ED
    (2) the chimp paradox

it might work for you it might not