Vegan, IF and Macros

Options
Anyone here following a Vegan diet on Intermittent Fasting (IF)?
I need help with knowing what my Macros should be. I have done some trial error but want to learn from some successful people here.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    There is no one set of macros that is right for everyone. Are you currently counting macros?

I'm not currently doing IF (although I have done it in the past). I started with the default MFP macros and then adjusted them based on my personal preferences.
  • sgod0905
    sgod0905 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was working off preset macros but am reading confusing info regarding how to set the macros. I also workout 5 days/week burning 400-500 calories/day
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    sgod0905 wrote: »
    I was working off preset macros but am reading confusing info regarding how to set the macros. I also workout 5 days/week burning 400-500 calories/day

What have you read that is confusing you? Generally, as long as you're getting sufficient protein and fat, you can set your macros according to your personal preferences (what you like to eat, what helps you feel fullest, etc).
  • sgod0905
    sgod0905 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I read that in order to loose fat macros have to be set at carbs -20%, Protein and Fats at 40% each. That’s not easy for me as a vegan.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I read that in order to loose fat macros have to be set at carbs -20%, Protein and Fats at 40% each. That’s not easy for me as a vegan.

I spent 3 years in yoga communities with a lot of healthy and fit vegans who were probably eating at least 60% carbs.

I dropped a size without even trying when I was in Costa Rico and eating tropical fruit all day long, plus lots of rice and beans, so likely upwards of 60% carbs as well.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    CICO
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options

That's absolutely not true. In fact, a lot of vegans I know of get a much higher percentage of calories via carbs and if anything I see a fair few people lose weight/fat after going vegan (not all I'll stress, because vegan junk food and high calorie vegan food still exists)

The main factor in weight loss is a calorie deficit, this is true whether you are veggie, vegan or omni. We all need the same nutrition, a good balance of carbs, fat and protein, but the exact split you prefer is up to you and entirely dependent on what you feel good eating, energy levels, what you can be consistent on etc. This is not the same for everyone.

I'm not following IF, but I am vegan. For me personally I don't like going a long period of time without eating, and I feel that it'll be much harder to get the nutrients you require within a shorter time, vegan or not. You're putting a lot of importance on that meal/those meals to provide all that you need, you might find it easier spread across the day, especially if you want to go for the higher protein macro split. Once you add veganism to it, which in general is less calorically dense (meaning you have to eat more volume for the same calories) and it can be harder still to get an adequate amount. Even when losing weight and in a calorie deficit, you'll need a minimum amount and the lower calories you're on, the harder it is to get adequate nutrients.

That's not to say don't do IF, plenty of people love it. It's just not for me, and it definitely is not a requirement for fat loss (and neither are very specific macros)