My question - WHY ARE YOU LOSING WEIGHT?

Options

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Got disgusted with myself and wanted to get healthy. Just sick and tired of sitting too much and eating too much really.
    I agree its important to find your true motivation, so that when the going gets tough you can remember why you want to keep on keeping on!
  • emjay196363
    emjay196363 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Health. I hate the thought of ending up with cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc. If I get there, doctors and nurses and medications will be in control of my life and it will be my fault! I won't willingly give anyone or anything control of my life.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    At first, I wanted to try and get a handle on my uncontrolled high blood pressure, despite being on 2 different medications for it. I was always overweight but I fooled myself into thinking I could dress around it and look ok. When I went to my doctor last December for a sinus infection, she told me that my BMI was 31 and that my hypertension was uncontrolled. She was sensitive but I could see her concern and it hit me that something had to change.
    I’ve been logging my food intake here since January, and since understanding exactly how this all works I have been losing steadily and actually pretty easily. I wish I had taken this approach years ago.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    To be the best version of me.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Because being fat is uncomfortable! And unhealthy! And limiting in terms of clothes and activity
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Better health, better quality of life mainly.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I think it's very internal struggle for everyone. I know some people's "true" reason can be vanity. If that is yours, don't be ashamed, just roll with it.
    My reason is to be healthy and able to play with my kids without being out of breath or so exhausted that I feel run down. I also like to look good in my clothes and by things that make me feel comfortable and attractive.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    To look and feel good. Very simple.
  • erjones11
    erjones11 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I want to do the things I can't do carrying all the weight. From hiking to biking and everything in between. I am a recreational active person (not exercise) at heart and I need to be in shape to be the me I want.

And yes I really like how I look and feel at 165 compared to 240. I am still getting used to seeing myself this way.
  • prettyshambolic
    prettyshambolic Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    To look amazing in my wedding dress and not be the "fat wife"
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Initially it was because I went in for a checkup and came out with some really nasty blood work all the way around...like not, "you need to watch it a little"...more like, "WTF are you doing to yourself at age 38" kind of blood work. I lost 40 Lbs and all my blood work got cleaned up.

I've been in maintenance for the most part for 5+ years. I usually put on 8-10 Lbs in the winter and cut it in the spring when my overall activity and exercise increases. I've been a little slower to cut it this year...I'm usually down to my desired weight by the end of May, but I'm still about 2 Lbs away right now. I'm starting a an aggressive short term cut next week purely for vanity reasons to lose about 4-5 Lbs by the end of September when I'm going on a surfing safari in Mexico with my buddies.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    TBH just so that I looked better. I was slightly overweight after the birth of my second child but all of my blood work and stuff was fine.
  • kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot of weight to lose but, my reason to get thinner and fitter is so that I can be an old lady that can still dance!
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I went to the doctor and on the discharge summary I was diagnosed "obese". That will smack you right in the face. I miss feeling comfortable in my body, not tugging on my close every five seconds, not being self conscious when I'm nakkie and being able to be active. Also diabetes scares the crap out of me and for most people it's totally preventable.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Mostly vanity. I love thrift shopping, but it's not as fun when you're limited because you're bigger than most of the clothes. However, I also had some knee issues at a higher weight. I couldn't wear heels anymore because I would get pain. Now I can wear heels without pain. Also, you know, the big D.

Diabetes, I mean.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,766 Member
    Options
    1 - when I lost last time I got rid of clothes as they became too big. When I gained again I couldn’t afford new clothes so had to get at it.

2- I have a daughter getting married next summer and want to look good as mother of the bride

3- I want to be healthy for a long time! Diabetes scares me, my children and grandchildren need me.

4 - I want to look sexy to my husband again. He still says it but I don’t feel it. I want to believe him.
  • curwhibbles
    curwhibbles Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Because my knees hurt and food doesn’t work for me anymore...
  • Greatful1981
    Greatful1981 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    There is no true reason unless you have one. You can't pick one up off the discount shelf. Why do you want to lose weight? If you don't want to lose weight, why are you trying to make yourself lose weight?

Personally, my reason for weight loss is simple: I don't like diabetes.

ETA: you said you were struggling with the mental part of it. Could you explain? You may get more helpful answers to that specific problem.

I want to lose weight! I just don't wanna focus on losing weight because it doesnt seem to work. I think I need to focus on health more and body acceptance and then weight loss will just be a consequence.
    I dont like diabetes either! But ivr had it since age 10....
    Mental part - guilt shame no body acceptance blah blah blah
  • Greatful1981
    Greatful1981 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Alot of people scared of diabetes!
    I've had it since I was 10 years old....
    Management is easier when I exercise and eat healthy carbs consistently.
  • ecrosby512
    ecrosby512 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I’m 62 and I want to still be able to hike, dance, and play music when I’m 80.

Also, I slipped down a slope (a real-live slippery slope, not just a metaphorical one) on a hike a few months ago, and into a creek, and it was WAY too difficult to scramble back up.

I need to be more agile to do what I like to do. Or else be willing to wait for the EMS to come haul me out, and I don’t want to go there yet.