Zucchini and/or Squash Recipes

Options
olso123
olso123 Posts: 192 Member
Hello, I got some great zucchinis and squashes out of the garden today and I am looking for some good zucchini and/or squash recipes. Anyone have some good recipes to share?

Replies

• atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I always cook it simple: cut slices, sauteed them with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. The natural flavor of summer squash taste good great with simple cooking.

Otherwise, google it
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Slice into spears, maybe a little pepper on them, then grill them for 2-3 minutes a side. Simple and good.
  • 1546mel
    1546mel Posts: 191
    Options
    We made Garlicky Summer Squash and Fresh Corn by allrecipes.com yesterday, very yummy, just used white wine instead of broth.
  • laitae
    laitae Posts: 50
    Options
    Oh, these are great to cook with, so versatile! I usually make a zucchini/marrow ratatouille. I chop zucchini/marrow into large chunks, some onion, peppers, tomatoes (and other veg of your choice) and cook (stirring quite often) with a bit of water (or stock) until they soften. I sometimes add chopped tomatoes and meat to this mixture. My fave summer food.
    You can also try making a curry, I love it with butternut squash:)
  • ssanderbrink
    ssanderbrink Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Try Zuchinni Lasagna, You replace the noodles with flat cut zuchinni taste really good. And it healthy and lower in calories to boot.
  • kmelski
    kmelski Posts: 14
    Options
    Zucchini Pizza (1/8 pizza slices: 208 calories each)

100% Whole Wheat Boboli 12″ Thin Pizza Crust, 1 shell (47g)
    2 Cups Low Moisture Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese
    2-3 Thinly-Sliced Fresh Zucchinis (small-medium; about 27 oz)
    1 Cup Chopped Onion
    1 TB Unsalted Butter
    1 oz Fat Free Feta Cheese
    Sea Salt
    Black Pepper
    Thyme (about 1/4 tsp)

Preheat over to 450° F. Saute the onions and zucchini in butter until softened (salt, pepper, and thyme to taste). Spread evenly across pizza crust, then cover evenly with mozzarella and sprinkle feta across the top. Bake until cheese starts to brown (about 12 minutes).
  • jenrusow
    jenrusow Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't have any specific recipes to share but I would recommend google-ing "zucchini boats" or "stuffed zucchini" - look at images and then go to the sites of those that look good! We LOVE stuffed zucchini!
    Last night I cut them in half long ways and scooped out some of the center... grilled for a little bit face down brushed with olive oil/salt/pepper.
    Browned some lean ground beef, diced sweet onion, diced red & green bell peppers. Cooked with Mrs. Dash & woistishire sauce. When it was done I added 1/2 jar of mushroom alfredo.
    Stuff the zucchini with this mixture and topped with just a little bit of cheese. I don't really like the low fat varieties so I choose to use small amounts of the real stuff :)
    Stuck in 300 deg oven just until cheese melted.
    It was delicious!
  • bigislandgrrl
    bigislandgrrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My mother makes the best minestrone Ive ever had and Im glad to share it with you, It is low calorie, high fiber, low fat and very simple to put together. Even better as leftovers! I have it for lunch every day until its gone and cant wait to make another batch! 150 calories per serving!

My Mothers Turkey Minestrone

1 lb ground turkey
    1 large onion, diced
    3 cloves garlic
    7 cups beef broth
    1 bag frozen mixed vegetables (pea, carrot, green bean, corn)
    1 large can stewed tomatoes
    1 tall can kidney beans
    2 tsp basil
    2 tsp oregano
    1 cup whole wheat macaroni elbows
    1 diced zucinni
    4 tbsp pomegranate red wine vinegar (any type of vinegar will work!)
    1 tbsp parmesan cheese per serving

Brown turkey, onion and garlic in large stock pan. Add broth, frozen veggies, tomatoes, kidney beans, basil and oregano and bring to a boil.
    Once boiling add macaroni and zucinni and simmer until pasta is almost tender, 8 -10 min.
    Remove from heat and add vinegar. (vinegar is VERY important in achieving the right balance of flavor)
    Sprinkle with parmesan. Serve with toasted french bread or bagette
    Makes 16 one cup servings at 150 calories per serving!
  • laitae
    laitae Posts: 50
    Options
    I don't have any specific recipes to share but I would recommend google-ing "zucchini boats" or "stuffed zucchini" - look at images and then go to the sites of those that look good! We LOVE stuffed zucchini!
    Last night I cut them in half long ways and scooped out some of the center... grilled for a little bit face down brushed with olive oil/salt/pepper.
    Browned some lean ground beef, diced sweet onion, diced red & green bell peppers. Cooked with Mrs. Dash & woistishire sauce. When it was done I added 1/2 jar of mushroom alfredo.
    Stuff the zucchini with this mixture and topped with just a little bit of cheese. I don't really like the low fat varieties so I choose to use small amounts of the real stuff :)
    Stuck in 300 deg oven just until cheese melted.
    It was delicious!

I forgot how I love this dish, it reminds me of my grandma:) I like to stuff it with soya or meat mixture too:)
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Zucchini and Penne Bake

2 cups whole wheat penne pasta
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1/2 white onion
    1 clove garlic
    1 fresh large tomato (or 1 small can of diced tomoatoes)
    1 cup green beans
    2 medium zucchinis or yellow squash
    3/4 cup pasta sauce
    1/2 cup mozzarella cheese

1. Prepare pasta according to directions.
    2. Chop onion and garlic, slice the zucchini, dice the tomato
    3. Heat oil in a large skillet and add the. Cook until they are crisp tender and cooked through
    4. Add pasta sauce (if you need you can add 1/3 cup water)
    5. Spray a medium baking dish and heat the oven to 375
    6. Add half of the pasta then half of the veggie mixture. Repeat with the other half
    7. Top with cheese, and cover. Bake for 25-35 minutes
  • kuhristeee
    kuhristeee Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Here's a SUPER easy recipe for stewed squash...

2-3 medium yellow squash
    1/2 medium onion, sliced
    water
    beef, chicken, or veggie broth
    salt and/or pepper to taste

Slice squash & place in medium saucepan with onion. Cover with water and broth of your choice. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 10-15 minutes. A delicious side dish that goes with nearly everything. :)
  • teri1956
    teri1956 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I make ratatouille. Roasting the slices of squash, onions, and tomatoes brushed with olive oil on a cookie sheet at 475 until are lightly golden (squash and onions) and tomatoes release their juices. I recommend lining sheets with foil for easy clean-up.

Layer in a casserole, sprinkled with granulated garlic or powder here and there, place in refrigerator. Serve hot or cold. I eat mine on a bed of baby spinach, and add some mozerella if it's a lunch entree.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    I bought a bunch of zucchini this week to make zucchini lasagna. . yummo. http://italiandish.squarespace.com/imported-20090913150324/2009/2/11/my-moms-zucchini-lasagna.html
  • olso123
    olso123 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great recipes and ideas! They all look yummy...can't wait to try some of them!
  • hammersshells
    Options
    BUFFALO ZUCCHINI DIP!

I was craving Buffalo Chicken Dip recently, but didn't have most of the ingredients. We took some grilled zucchini and summer squash and diced it up, poured on some light ranch dressing, Frank's Red Hot sauce, stirred it up and microwaved it a minute or two. Sprinkled with cheese and fresh cilantro, served w tortilla chips and it was really good! I don't know exact amounts as I was "winging" it, but my BF liked it better than the chicken version. :) Filling, cured my craving and waaaaay less cals.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I made tacos last night with veggie mince with zucchini grated into the mince then cooked with tomato. It bulked it out enormously but added almost no calories, and made no difference to the taste at all.