new journey, new diet, new life.. right?

Options
Hello, My name is Haven and i am currently trying to lose about 130 pounds. im sitting at about 315 or so and i just need to stop the excuses and do it. i want to lose weight not only for my physical and mental health but also because i am wanting to start a family in the next few years and get engaged eventually when my bf decides to pop the question. lol and i just want to be healthier over all!! i have been having foot issues, and out of breath and my blood pressure is higher than ever. i guess im nervous about starting not about being consistent but the money for the healthier foods and maybe being unmotivated.. so im looking to anyone for a support system!! i look forward to reading all our stories :)

Replies

• AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,593 Member
    Options
    If you think you will have trouble staying motivated, you could write out your whys for losing weight, or even try a vision board (create a collage of pictures on a poster board you can have someplace to look at every day).

I do count a lot of whys packed into your note!
    - Mental health
    - Physical health
    - Foot issues (likely to be better if you lose weight!)
    - Out of breath
    - High blood pressure
    - Want to get married and start a family -- Pregnancy and parenting are both physically demanding!

And if you are creating a vision board, what would life be like if you dealt with all these issues? Can you find pictures that help you visualize your future?

For inspiration, here's a link to one of my favorite MFP blogs:
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/The_Movie_Chair?month=201701
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

You have lots of good reasons for losing weight, and you should definitely reflect on those. But unfortunately, motivation can be a fickle thing. When it's not there, there's nothing like good old fashioned habit to save the day! I remembered this list taken from an excellent article on building new habits and eliminating undesirable ones and thought it might be helpful:

Be realistic. Only choose 1 or 2 specific, achievable things you'd like to work on at a time. Trying to reach all your goals at the same time is a sure way to reach none of them.

Manage your environment. Make it as easy as possible for you to make good choices, and harder to make poor ones (i.e., if ice cream is your weakness, don't keep it in the house).

Take a long-range view. Habits take time to build. Don't view 1 relapse as a permanent failure. Try to learn from your mistakes, and focus more on the times you were successful and how you can repeat those.

I would also add, based on your comment about "healthier foods", that you not try to completely overhaul your diet and limit yourself to "healthy" things. Many people give up quickly with such self-imposed restrictions. Just commit yourself to accurate, consistent logging and as time goes on, you will likely see how your choices affect your ability to meet your goals and will start making small changes accordingly. :)
  • havenlynn59
    havenlynn59 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    thank you so much for the tips i will be on the lookout for those foods!! i really am excited for my journey and hope i can reach out to this blog for support :)
  • SelenaMariaStewart
    SelenaMariaStewart Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I started my journey at 240 and am at 154.5 at the moment! Feel free to add me!
  • William54321
    William54321 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Get and take as much guidance as you can and have a supportive circle to help on the ups and downs, you have this
  • Noreen2014
    Noreen2014 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am starting the same journey.... everything always seems overwhelming when you start but making small attainable goals may not seem like it will accomplish much but it’s just a stepping stone to your ultimate achievement .... add me if you would like and we can all get there together 😀
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Hello Haven, I am also on the 100+ journey. I just finished my first week. With all the fresh fruits and veggies now in season, food hasn't been an issue. I have stopped eating out as much and completely stopped the frozen dinner purchases ... so that's helped a great deal. Getting better at water consumption but room for improvement. My biggest challenge is exercise and am struggling there because I'm so very out of shape ... BUT, am determined to improve ... even if only a tiny bit each day.

Feel free to add me. All support welcome. You have a lot of reasons to succeed. I found a catchphrase I particularly like --- FIRST, you have to START!! --- which I have put on a 3x5 card along with 2-3 goals and have taped it to my bathroom mirror. So, this morning for the first time ever, I started my day with a walk (on-line Leslie Sansone Walk at Home video). Yea!

You are in the right place ... lots of support, great food & exercise tracking, wonderful community of supportive people. You CAN do this!!